Marshall 2555X

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by El Gringo, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

There's something to be said for having a local dealer. They get it in and deal with shippimg issues. I'm fortunate that way.

2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Not the case for me , the first time it was from American Musical Supply which was one state over from me and that was an easy haul for UPS , this time it came from Ft. Wayne Indiana . Local music stores in my neck of the woods are a joke , I mean we do have a GC which is okay in a pinch for strings , a stand , or a stompbox . The heavy duty firepower in guitars come from the usual list of suspects such as The Music Zoo, Dave's Guitars , Wild West Guitars, Chicago Music Exchange ( who I actually visited this past June ) Gruhn Guitars , Lark Street Music and Wildwood . The closest one to me is the Music Zoo and they are the best and so awesome and I highly recommend them as I do all the others as well

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  3. El Gringo

So I contacted Sweetwater yesterday and let them know that I did not receive the power cord,and the footswitch and they had there tech support contact me via E-Mail this morning and they wanted to know if there was any visible damage to the shipping cartoons ( so they could pawn the missing parts off to UPS ) which of course everything was meticulously and securely packed and that was not the case and they already contacted Marshall USA and then I got an E-Mail from Marshall that informed they have already registered my amp and speaker cab which I thought was odd and maybe because I mentioned that to Sweetwater that had something to do with it . Tech Support from Sweetwater wanted to know if I wanted a signature required delivery , which of course I do and I was told that the footswitch and power cable will be sent out to me soon . So I will await patiently for those items to arrive . Minor annoyances at best and not the least surprising to me at all .

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. El Gringo

Marshall contacted me and told me to "slaving the second amp off of the first amp . I should run the DI out of the first amp into the effects loop return of the second amp " I then asked if the new amp would be powered and running at full blast as well with this technique ? Then I was told "yes it will . The master volume will still control the power for you on the slaved amp " How does this sound ? I did think of this slave technique by thinking back to when I was a kid with the Silver Face Twin Reverbs which I would take and plug one cord in to the one twin and then plug that into the second twin . How does this sound folks ? Also would I set the phase on the new amp as the first amp if I use the same identical connections ? in addition to the slaving of the amps ?

5. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

That's bypassing the preamp of the 2nd amp and just using the power amp. I think it'll achieve what you're looking for but you'll be plugging the guitar into the 1st amp only.

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thats real simple. I Should have thought of that. :eek:
    Then as you change channels on amp 1, the pre amp signal runs to amp 2.

El Gringo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

:coffee:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  8. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

This might work pretty well. But still there might be a ground loop.
    And: you wouldn't have bought a complete amp for that, any (tube) power amp would have been capable of that. You're just not using the preamp section of the slaved amp, which is a pity.

MaskingApathy likes this.
  9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I am late to this discussion,
    But I have been taking the fx send on amp #1 into the clean channel on amp #2’s instrument in . The other way I have been doing it is
    Mxr10 band eq’s 2 outs into the front of 2 amps, both amps dialed in the way your ears tell you sound good, no hum, no ground loop issues, and I still hook my
    Lead 100 mosfet up from fx send to the front off of one of the Origin amps.
    I shall stop rambling on now

El Gringo likes this.
  10. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

He could do the Bob Gjika trick !

El Gringo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. El Gringo

So this past weekend I moved everything around to put the 2 half stacks together and got everything hooked up with an extra power cord I had at home and had everything all set to play , except I could not find a stupid 1/4 cable to plug into the DI output in my 2555X and then run it into the new 2555X effects loop return plug to slave the amps together as I was told to do so by the Marshall rep . Derailed by one cable of hooking up both amps together . Oh well , I will order one today and get it in a day or 2 . I have so much equipment at home I could probably open my own shop and have numerous 1/4 cables , but when I needed one to you think I could find it ? No , good ole Murphy's law I guess huh ?

12. El Gringo

Yes , that is correct

13. El Gringo

Yes, than when I change channels on my original 2555X this will also switch the channel on the new 2555X ?

14. El Gringo

When I spoke with the Marshall rep on Friday , I asked him about both amps and cabs being in phase and he said that was not an issue as both amps are the same . I don't know if this would have something to do with the ground loop issue which was in the back of my head .

15. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

:jam:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  16. El Gringo

With the slave method is there a downside to maybe wearing out parts faster , like tubes or any other parts ?

17. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

I have two 2555SL's so when I change the channel on amp A , it copie/paste's the tone on amp B.

I've read that you can flip the phase on one cab and it will work also as for phasing issues.

Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  18. El Gringo

Thank You , this is good to know .

Kelia likes this.
  19. El Gringo

Thank You , that is good knowledge .

Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  20. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

The new amp is being slaved, whatever the first amps sends it will be put out through the newer head. So technically yes.

Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.