Malmsteen Concert 27/02 Mexico City

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Filipe Soares, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

Well... I really like the swedish guy so I went to see his concert yesterday and my overall impressions were:

1) there was a Marshall wall (of coarse there was). but mainly 800 and 900 with two plexis. I thought the 800 and 900s were just for the wall, but he was actually fiddling with a 800 or a 900 (couldn't identify) all the time. I was really curious about it and after the show I've tried to get in front of the stage to take some pics of how it was tuned. but the Mexican bureaucratic and squared culture didn't allowed me to get there. I was REALLY pissed about it.

2) He is not what he once was, but he still kick some serious ass. When he's kind of sloppy, but the bends and vibratos are there. Last time I saw him it was like 15 years ago. It's not like he's playing badly, but it's not that amazing anymore.

3) the keyboard player actually can sing! not jeff scott soto material, but the guy can sing.

4) the setlist is almost schizophrenic. why? several songs were like verse, chorus, solo, improm, chorus, verse and NEXT! He didn't bother to play full songs of all songs. I accept a medley but a MEDLEY CONCERT? It was my first time. I don't know if it is because the lack of a dedicated singer, or just laziness.

5) he changed guitars like every song, or in the middle of a song. the guitars seems to get out of tune and he handled all of them to his guitar tech. btw, that guitar tech worked his ass out.

6) he's very active onstage, I don't know if it was redbull or some Colombian wonder. but he was really enjoying being onstage.

7) he didn't play anything from blues lighting. thanks odin! the setlist was all about the classics.

pictures soon.

twangsta, Trelwheen and Ransom like this.
  2. Filipe Soares

3. Travis398

Travis398 Active Member

Malmsteen at 80% is 90% better than the rest of us.

I can't imagine not having a good time at that show.

twangsta, rafalynch and Frodebro like this.
  4. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I just dig that wall of marshalls. Wonder how they are secured..heads on top of heads are kinda slippery.

twangsta likes this.
  5. Filipe Soares

second that!!! It was amazing!!!

6. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I bet his testicles are sweaty with that leather pants he's wearing at an 80 degree weather + heat from spotlights....

twangsta likes this.
  7. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

:facepalm:....say what????

8. Filipe Soares

well... mexico city is not hot at all. yesterday it was like 55 to 60F at night and the theater had hvac.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

I saw him last year. Great showman and great show.

10. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. VIP Member

God knows why he doesn't save money and just play to backing racks, what his two real mic'd 50 watt half stacks and his 65,000 Marshall logo-laden prop maps.

I saw him once, around 2005/2006 and the guy was quite an inspiration that night. Only problem was, it wasn't until about the 8th song in that I finally saw where the rest of his band was: stuffed up in the rafters.

"WOW! lookit all them Marshalls!" Wait... is he playing to backing tracks?? NO, there's his band - they're just off-stage over here by the Coleman ice cooler.