Make this JCM900 SL-X 2100 EL34 Great Again! (Problem 3)

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by jeff.gt, Feb 29, 2020.

1. jeff.gt

jeff.gt Member

I appreciate all of the support irt getting this JCM900 up and running. So far I have: installed the correct bias resistors, replaced filter and bias caps, reflowed (most of) the PCB's, and installed a 6amp bridge rectifier in BR-3...while repairing the burnt traces. Now that it's 100%, what is there I can do to make this amp the ULTIMATE JCM900? It sounds great now, but I know there's some legit modifications this amp is just itching to get!

thanks again,

Jeff

2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

No. I would not mod it. Get a 2203/4 clone and mod that..

Imo the slx needs no modding..only experimentation dialing it in. Biggest being If that gain sens gets above 12 the amps get fizzy, and the nice crunchy tone is gone.. master on 2?..no...Give it some volume..maybe a little clean boost in the front end..my point is play with it a some before you turn it into a boat anchor..:D

Take peoples clips with a grain of salt. They'll tell you they did this and that to mod something but neglect to tell you about the effects processor they're running and shit like that.

The sl-x are starting to get some popularity and some decent value...be careful not to demolish it.:agreed:

Lance Chambers likes this.
  3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Keep it original and fully functional. It's Marshall's flagship, high-gain monster. It needs no mods.

:h5: :cheers:

RatDaddy likes this.
  4. jeff.gt

jeff.gt Member

Won’t touch it then! Well, besides tube rolling...right now it’s got jj preamps and el34eh’s, not the greatest!