Lp 50's Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by pedecamp, Aug 19, 2018.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

What do you all think of this guy's stuff? I want to upgrade my Chibson wiring. I still gotta open my real LP and see how its setup, I'm trying to match it, but this stuff looked good and affordable from what I can tell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-300...181224?hash=item4b4bf95f28:g:TooAAOSwWCBZlTyi

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

You can change the wiring in the guitar to 50s style but this thing on e bay is not a real 1950s part.
    The cheap tone caps are from Taiwan...the pots are Gibson 300K, which you could buy anywhere.
    It really won't make any difference.
    It's really misleading, typical of ebay vendors.

To upgrade the guitar:
    A. must have a good sounding guitar to start with. If the guitar is crap then changing electronics won't help you. *

B. Put good PUs on the guitar (epi pickups are worth about $1.49).
    Recommend Gibson PUs to you.

But ALWAYS use humbucking, forget about "coil split," which is a silly gimmick.

Single Coil Pickups : sound good...but are also VERY noisy. You decide.

C. Shield the control cavity with solid metal (like mu metal, or thick copper)
    Shielding paint or foil is not nearly as effective.

D. Wire it with 50s style wiring if you want (all the leads are shielded wire). There is really no advantage to using 300K pots, compared to 250K or 500K.
    Use PEC pots or Bourns pots...

E. Bumble Bee tone Caps: a complete waste of money. Accomplishes nothing more than any other cap.
    Use good caps like Solen or Orange drop, etc...
    Position the outside foil of the cap to reduce hum.

F. Use a Switchcraft jack. Just avoid cheap hardware. Use a Switchcraft PU switch.

G. Treat all the pots and jack with Deoxit G-100.

* doing this stuff to a junk guitar is throwing money in the toilet.
    If the guitar sounds dead to start with, no pickup on earth will change that.

There are a lot of vendors who want to make you think electronics will change garbage into gold.
    But the reality is:
    the sound comes from the wood, not the electronics.
    So if the wood is crap, the guitar will always be crap, no matter how much money you spend on Pickups or anything else.

Just one more tidbit:
    H. Avoid metal nut.
    I. Delrin Nylon nut and bridge saddles may optimize sustain, and reduce microphonics. No Shit.
    (Delrin was stock on legendary Les Paul Guitars, SGs, etc...)

The most respected sounding guitars, which are very well treasured - never had metal nuts...always Delrin Nylon or bone, etc...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  3. pedecamp

I put Gibson pickups in it, the guitar sounds and feels pretty good, a couple of the pots are wonky/defective so I thought I'd pop in a whole new harness to stabilize everything. I wont change out much anything else, its a cheap guitar and don't plan to go overboard on it. I was looking for a cheap but decent harness, does this one look ok?

4. ampmadscientist

Did you clean the pots?
    No I wouldn't buy the e bay part. I would spend money on some good PEC pots instead.

5. pedecamp

I'll clean the bad pots, never considered to since they are new, maybe that's all I need to do and forget about replacing anything.

Whats your problem with ebay? Cheap easy access for stuff is all it is, name brand stuff too.

MarshallDog likes this.
  6. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Les Paul 50s PU wiring.

50s LP WIRING - PREFERRED.jpg

7. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

You should consider either CTS pots with the brass shaft or go all out for Emerson Pro CTS pots.

8. pedecamp

Yeah most of these guys selling harnesses have CTS pots. I just opened my real 57 LP RI and the pots have no labels on them at all, I measured them at 500k, and have a pair of .022 uf bumblebee caps. So thats the plan I wanted to copy my real LP.

MarshallDog likes this.
  9. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Philadelphia luthier has black beauty caps for pretty cheap, i have read they are comparable. I've used them a few times now and like them. You can get your pots from them too. 15346988015021930191076.jpg

pedecamp likes this.
  10. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I just rebuilt my Harmony Les Paul. I put in the Gibson shielded wiring, DiMarzio 500k pots, Orange drop caps and Switchcraft toggle and jack. This stuff is so inexpensive is crazy not to use it. I also installed Gibson 490R/498T pups. What a difference! Also, no coil splitting.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  11. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I use 550k CTS pots and Jensen PIOs in my LPR0 with 50s wiring, but I also use coil taps on push-push tone pots, really adds a second set of tones (bear in mind I go from heavy to funk to pop and back dozens of times a gig, most with the guitar controls and the occasional pedal).

12. ampmadscientist

ebay has not worked very well for me. For some reason I pick the wrong vendors.
    It's been a lot of bait and switch, especially with auto parts.

13. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I’d stick with Stew Mac, Amplified Parts or a reputable vendor (e.g. Sweetwater).

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. pedecamp

15. ampmadscientist

I think those BB caps are an un-godly waste of money.
    But if somebody is convinced that they really do improve something (I can't imagine what (?)... There is so much better caps these days like Solen, which have much less noise and pick up much less hum from external AC electrical sources.

I would put money into good PUs, pots, and hardware instead.

FYI
    the tone cap in the guitar is a major source of hum and buzzing, it's like an antenna.
    That's why you should install shielding (good shielding, not aluminum foil). To properly shield that noise, the metal should be fairly thick.

I suppose that's why Gibson used a mu metal can that's custom fit into the control cavity (it works better than anything else available).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  16. pedecamp

I have a Gibson 57 RI LP, I opened the control cover and to my surprise no shielding and this guitar is quiet as can be, another surprise is it was wired in modern fashion not 50's wiring as expected, whats that all about! I'll post a picture to confirm. I agree those bumblebee caps are expensive but I have nothing to go on except that I love the sound of my LP so if I want another guitar to sound as close as possible I would want to wire it the same.

So just to clarify, the capacitors have no bearing on tone with all guitar knobs on 10, they only come into play when you dial down the guitar knobs correct? So a .022 and .047 uf cap should sound the same until you start dialing down your knobs right?

17. jensvonbustenskjol

jensvonbustenskjol Active Member

You should visit angela.com. Great caps paper oil.

I also use push-push and split T-tops

18. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I've got some NOS BB caps some where - they came in a big box of new and used caps I got years ago. 0.022uF markings but IIRC they have drifted up around 30% so have not used them. Maybe I should did them out!

19. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Stewmac sells a prewired kit... I installed one on my Epi LP Custom , however, I had to re-bore the holes for the pots and switch... I realize the cavity has no copper shielding...I had to put shielding with copper tape.

20. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Split T tops?