Lower wattage Marshalls

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Hillbilly Heartthrob, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Hillbilly Heartthrob

Hillbilly Heartthrob New Member

Greetings everybody. I'm looking for a small single speaker Marshall combo for home use and easy travel to jam sessions. I own several older 50W/100W varieties, however I really know nothing of smaller Marshalls! Looking to spend $1000 max (give or take) I'd also like to stay below 50W. I like older amps, however I am open to the newer stuff.

-The GC down the road has an '86 Artist 4203 for sale
    -Mini Jubilee RI? Not really within budget, but open to them and interested in how they sound.
    -DSL 20? Never played one
    -Origin 20? Never played one
    -Any other suggestions lol

I don't need massive amounts of gain. Just simple, authentic Marshall crunch when cranked up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

Class 5 is an awesome amp. Very simple with just EQ and a volume. Is pretty loud for a 5 watt amp. I can't speak for the combo version other than hearing of some rattling issues on some versions bug I have a head and it pairs up well, especially with my 1965A 4x10. You can find combos used in the $300-$350 range.

Not sure if 5 watts is the "low wattage" you were looking for but it's a pretty sweet amp.

3. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

4. Hillbilly Heartthrob

Thank you! Very happy to be here!

5. Demo Danner

Demo Danner New Member

Well, I have the DSL 40C, and I've changed out the original speaker for a V-Type 75 watt Celestion, Threw in a set of Mullard power tubes, had the bias adjusted. I used the 70/80 that came out of it, (That was broken in for just over a year.) to build a closed back ext. cab. That baby truly F#$king Roars! It will pull off anything from AC/DC to Joe Satriani, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Ect. The clean channel/Classic Crunch as well as the Ultra Channel were not to my liking originally, but with the upgrades, ext. cab., and some time breaking in the speakers, I am completely stoked with that baby now! It's a one channel amp, but they call it two. Comes with a footswitch. The only complaint I have now is the reverb. If your looking for a Fender/Mesa Boogie type reverb....look elsewhere. I have to use a pedal for that. The activation switch for the Lead 2 failed, which is why I sent it back to Sweetwater. I figured as long as it was there I'd have them turn a disappointing amp into the amp I was looking for. It has loads of gain, the clean and crunch channel are great too. It was very harsh in the highs at first, but the mods they did cured that. Sweetwater knew exactly what was wrong with it, and for a fee they cured it. I can't stay away from it now. This baby is the tone monster I was hoping for. Also, it's not that heavy for a 20/40 watt amp, and this sucker is loud. Easily keeps up with a drummer, yet highly portable. I love it. I'm thinking about picking up a DSL1HR 1-Watt head and going stereo. I hope this helps. Cheers! :jam:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Chris4189

Chris4189 Well-Known Member

Lead 12

Musicmaniac and Jeff Hudson like this.
  7. tmingle

tmingle Active Member

Pick up a used 40C, used HOF reverb, used MXR 10 band & a JOYO Vintage OD and your set!

8. Lukas

Lukas Active Member

Easy answer DSL 40cr

9. Hillbilly Heartthrob

So, I went ahead and bought the 4203 from GC, online on a whim. I figure since it’s the weekend, there’s a reasonable chance that somebody may pick it up, before I can get there to give it an honest shot. If it doesn’t suit me, I can always return it. Haha, wish me luck!:cheers:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

SC20c ?
    The DSL40 is great & versatile, it's also a pig to carry (not full stack pig, but still..).
    The Studio combos would be perfect (it will stretch your budget, but maybe b-stock etc.).

11. Hillbilly Heartthrob

Duly noted! Since the 4203 is about 20 miles from my house, didn’t want it to get away before I had the chance to try it. With a Studio combo, I don’t mind some stretch in my budget if it sounds right to me. I’ve also heard that the Vintage/Modern’s from the early 2000’s sound really good. However, I don’t know if they are selectable below 50W, or if they made a single 12”, and they’ll stretch my budget too lol

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  12. Jeff Hudson

Jeff Hudson Active Member

My top small Marshall is the Lead 12, I tried out a Origin 20 and liked that as well.

13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Sounds as if you are on your way!
    HNAD, and I agree with all the above posters as well, all fine amps, I also have most of the gear mentioned above as well
    Dsl40c’s, Origin 50H’s, lead 100 mosfet’s, mxr 10 band eq, joyo,
    ultimate drive, SD1,
    Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog likes this.
  14. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

Actually, I think you made a good choice. The 4203 is a very good sounding, very portable little combo from the late 80’s with a lot of features - two channels, effects loop, line out, reverb. They originally came with a Vintage 30 speaker. The boost channel can kick out killer 80’s gain tones. The normal channel can go from clean to a mild crunch.

Some advice - get electronics cleaner and spray all the jacks, especially the effects loops. They can get dirty and start to mess with your sound, cutting in and out.

Good luck with the new amp.

15. tmingle

tmingle Active Member

Do you have 4 of everything? lol

16. Kid_Awesome1

Kid_Awesome1 Active Member

I recently got the Studio Vintage and it’s EVERYTHING I hoped it would be. I have the head with a single greenback cab, but I’m sure the combo sounds great. A budget stretch but totally worth it. PS I upgraded from the DSL40C so I did some actual comparisons and it’s no contest.

EndGame00 and assaf110 like this.
  17. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Id say go with a NEW DSL 40CR! You may have to upgrade the speaker and tubes but at least you have the full warranty! Its under 50 W, 1000.00 bucks and has a 12” speaker.

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

No my brother I do not! lol
    But I do have pairs of everything I mentioned in amps!!
    Cheers Mitch

shupe13, AlvisX and mickeydg5 like this.
  19. Sixstringeek

Sixstringeek New Member

Hey first post, and in case you come back here after the GC amp goes back (just a hunch) get a DSL20 and pocket the cash, I fucking love mine. I have yet to use it on full power in the house. It has a 10w switch, I usually play Tool type shit and have been playing Fear Inoculem on the green channel and it nails the tone with my RAT and Supro fuzz. Everything at 12 with some extra bass reverb OFF. I have a HOF2 with Pete Thorn's toneprint in the FX Loop for Reverb.

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I have a DSL20CR and a DSL40CR and generally treat them both as heads into the same choices of cabinets. The 20 gets way more use. While the 40 certainly has more features, wider variety of sounds and operational options etc, the 20 is just better sounding when cranked (I use a @JohnH attenuator in full power mode) and it's just simpler to use. In my estimate, it totally qualifies as a Deluxe Reverb Slayer and the loop works quite well! I have actually swapped in a well worn in G12M/25 watt/75hz Greenback in place of the stock Seventy/80 and it now even sounds mostly OK as a combo! I still prefer a closed back 4x12, 1960B or 4x10, 1965B though.
    Just My $.02,
    Gene