Love the Strat Marshall tone!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by 1956tvmodel, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Bxlxaxkxe

Bxlxaxkxe Member

Strat into an 800. This dude is the real deal.

Trelwheen, 79 2203, El Gringo and 2 others like this.
  2. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

Great call out - strats into a Marshall is a great combo!!

Mitchell Pearrow and ken361 like this.
  3. 1956tvmodel

1956tvmodel Active Member

I cant tell you how many times ive watched this video. This is the vid to first turned me onto Randy and ive been hooked ever since. What a killer player. He goes way beyond just being a Hendrix tribute artist. Ive watched just about every clip I can find on youtube on him and this is one of the best!

Trelwheen and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Nice 4010 Looks clean.

Trelwheen likes this.
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Great!!! He reminds me of someone,.....can’t quite put my finger on who!!!!!! :D :fingersx:

ricksdisconnected and RCM 800 like this.
  6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Not bad for a bunch of old fellas.
    This was from 7 years ago!
    Are they still at it?
    BP

Trelwheen likes this.
  7. blue

blue Active Member

Any videos online of the AFD-100 are always with a Les Paul, usually with the Slash pickups, and usually playing a G'n'R or Slash tune, but I've played my Strat, my Tele and my Gretsch through it, and they all sound glorious. My favourite guitar through my old JCM 900 2500 mkIII was definitely my Tele!

BanditPanda likes this.
  8. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

this is a great thread, I'm playing a high treble , home build (78 fender single coil level coil),strat a lot lately tru a mini jube combo with a new speaker ,50watt cannabis rex 3 or 4weeks ago , and it does this sound really good on the red channel , and a softer, cleaner, beautiful sound ,channel 1 ,and I am so plzd that I put this speaker in , it has transformed it for me , and is superb with a strat,and with a little bit of gain on the first channel , and a bit more on the red channel sounds loverly with a strat, need to try it with a wah now

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  9. slide222

randy has that spot on - when I saw him he was playing a Floyd rose and I learnt a lot watching him playing message to love, and noel redding came on and played a few songs with him

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Trelwheen and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

So you like it over the greenback huh? I think the stock amp could use more mids though, I wonder how a V type or a v30 would sound also. Is the Rex more mellow?

11. slide222

the rex is not really more mellow -it has a beautiful soft clean sound that still breaks up when I push the volume up on my strat , and on the red channel, it is tight , it is great for harmonics , they just sing out , and it rocks really well, if you have never tried a cannabis rex , try one and you will be surprized and they are a good price, they break in pretty quick, and it is quite a bit louder , its not gonna be ultra distortion , but you can riff the 5ths out ,and you could play jazz , funk, rock , very versatile, and I still don't need a fuzz pedal, just my sonus wah

I tried it out on my 2555x with a 2x12 , and then added another 2x12, so I have my 2555x going tru 4 of them

Mitchell Pearrow and ken361 like this.
  12. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The lower output of the single coils . You get a better signal for the gain stage to work with.

13. slide222

I never have liked the thick bassy humbucker tone, it works sometimes for bridge but a great bridge tone can be achieved with a single coil , and I do think the cannabis rex and a single coil strat works ,and that combo is great if you have a touchy feely kind of style of playing, these speakers are really great for harmonics and do seem to pick everything up ,no matter how gentle or soft
    and the red channel really brings out the harmonic ability, and these speakers give the impression they like being pushed and react accordingly , I really like the jeff beck late 60's marshall sound , and it jumps out at ya

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

15. BanditPanda

That's a great site. Thanks scozz.
    Randy keeping real busy. Good on him.
    Interesting to see Frank Marino ( another Hendrix player) and Pat Travers still touring too.
    Still hope for you scozz!
    BP

scozz, Trelwheen and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. BanditPanda

Hey slide. My ears just can't dig a Strat's bridge pup. In fact I was e mailing a maker just yesterday and told him that I thought the Strat bridge pup was virtually useless. I am currently looking into P90 in single coil format to drop into a Strat bridge. I'm thinking it would give a much more desirable tone to that position. Do you think a P90 in the Strat bridge could be worthwhile?
    BP

17. slide222

yea it would add a bit of the middle tone you want more of, but the jubilee is a massively versatile amp anyway which helps take some of the shreek out .

BanditPanda likes this.
  18. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of single coil (Fender type) pickups in overdrive. I've never been able to get a strat to sound good, overdriven, in my hands. I'm a hardcore humbucker guy.

But when I plugged my strat into my 2203, finally I got a strat tone I could stand. I was amazed.

I still prefer a Les Paul or other humbucker equipped guitar to a strat by about a 99 to 1 ratio, but at least I know that certain Marshalls are the only amps that can make me not hate playing a strat. (overdriven, that is.)

79 2203 likes this.
  19. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

He's good and the tone sounds great, but I feel like he tries way too much to be a Hendrix clone witch just makes it boring. It's all been done.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  20. slide222

I have heard band of the gypsies album over and over for 45 years , I used it as a basis to hone my minor playing in the early days , and randy is note for note , its unreal its so close , so I take my hat off to him for that , its a tribute band of proberly the best guitarist ever , certainly Hendrix was way head of his time and devoloped a lot of new sounds and technique's and randy has absolutely nailed it , and what a way to earn a living , I am a little surprized he's playing a strat upside down , but he's spent his life doing this and nobody can do this better ,and what an eye opener if you never saw Hendrix