Looking For The Ultimate Marshall Amp (80's Style)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jchrisf, Oct 4, 2019.

1. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

So I'm about ready to buy the ultimate 80's hard rock and metal amp.. something that will be with me the rest of my life. I've been researching for a couple of years. I'm ready to go Boutique if need be. When the new Marshall Studio amps came out I thought this would be the perfect opportunity because I am a bedroom/home office player. The Studio amps sound amazing as do all the other expensive Marshall boutique amps.

I've not had a chance to try any though because there are not any in stock anywhere. However, from the Youtube videos I have seen (hundreds of them) it seems the DSL hangs with all of them. I had the DSL20H but didn't like it because it was missing my favorite two channels.

For those of you that have the DSL 40 or 50 or 100 and a nice Studio and/or Boutique amp.. does the DSL hang with it?

From the videos I've seen of people with both they were able to match everything with the DSL.

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think the DSL might be a good match seeing as you play 80's hard rock and metal. If you were looking for vintage tone or maybe an amp that can do blues, I would say no. Just be ware that most of the time the tone you hear on YouTube is NOT what you get in person. Good luck!

Neil Skene, JBA, scozz and 4 others like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I get 80’s hard rock tones out of it and further back in time to Lizzy, UFO, Aerosmith, just have to watch the gain!
    Cheers Mitch

Trelwheen, Crikey, Neil Skene and 4 others like this.
  4. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

The DSL100 definitely can nail those with ease. Though if I were in the market for an amp that does 80s hard rock/metal, the obvious choice would be either a 2203x or a Jube if you want a 100-watter, or either a SC20H or 2525H if 20w is enough for you.

Trelwheen, dptone5, scozz and 4 others like this.
  5. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

You kind of have to define the type 80’s rock and metal. I kind of break it down into 2 types . Early 80’s and late 80’s. Early 80’s I think of plexi or late 70’s jmp /jcm 800 2203/4 with pedals. Later 80s had a lot of modded plexis/jcm 800’s etc. if I had to pick one to cover it all it would be a JVM 4-10. Orange channel has KILLER modded Marshall tones of Lynch, loudness, John Sykes thin Lizzy.

6. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

Can the DSL match this tone?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

I would go with a 2203x, Silver Jubilee reissue, or if you can find one the 2203KK might be right up your alley.

I paid $1200 shipped for mine. It's basically a stock JCM800 with bigger KT88 power tubes so it's perfect for 80s rock tones. From there you can either hit it with a boost or overdrive pedal for a classic metal tone or engage the beast mode which can go from the same boosted 800 sound to melt your face off metal if you crank the "Assault" knob. It also has a built in noise gate that it phenomenal. The only downside to the amp is no effects loop.

Mitchell Pearrow and jchrisf like this.
  8. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

The more I learn about major 80s rock players and their rigs, the more I think there's lots of misconceptions about how many really used modded amps. Lots of them used bone stock Marshalls (Superleads, JMPs and JCM800 2203s), and actually used a variety of boosts, be it a TS-9 (Lynch), a SD-1 (Zakk Wylde), OD-1 (Jake E Lee), RAT (Nuno) or Furman PQ-3 (the guys in Stryper and several others). Most of them kept what they really used under wraps, so people assumed they used modded amps.
    Then some moved to the ADA MP-1, or Soldano (such as Warren De Martini), but almost all eventually went back to their Marshalls.
    Nuno actually uses a RAT into a bone stock DSL100 these days, and sounds just the same as he always did.

Honestly, a Superstrat with a JB in the bridge, a PQ3(or any other boost), 2203x or SC20H and a G12H cab will get you that tone easily.
    Another major component of that tone being splitting to stereo with a chorus set very low (either a CE-3 ala Zakk Wylde, a pair of PCM41/SDD3k/SDE330 set for short modulated delays if you like racks, or a modern modulation pedal ala MD-500/Mobius) or a pitch shifter (Eventide H3k or Pitchfactor) set for stereo detune. All tricks that were super popular back then. And all as important to nail that vibe than the actual amp is tbh.

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I think you got a lot of good answers, seems like there’s a lot to choose from,... Jmps, Superleads, Jcm800s, Jubilees, SC20, Dsls, etc.

I was wondering what you have in mind as far as watts are concerned?

JacksonCharvelAddict and jchrisf like this.
  10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you want one amp for life and add some different tones later, try a JVM410. Does everything.

11. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

I would also consider the JVM 410, for the same reasons, you can cover a lot of tones you are after, and will be able to get a lot of tones you're not (yet).

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Too many channels and knobs for me, but it’s not about me! :cool:

13. JBA

JBA Active Member

Ghost post.. Second time this happens to me. :scratch:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  14. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I’m not big on tons of knobs either especially on stage but the jvm 410 is laid out so simply and easy to use. Imo I’d much rather have the 410h layout than what Friedman is doing with the new be 50 and be 100 deluxe! Yikes , all those knobs in a row are too much for me.

scozz, Matt_Krush, jmp45 and 3 others like this.
  15. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I had one and a Friend called it the 100 W 100 knob Marshall amp, I still laugh about that one:rofl:

16. JBA

JBA Active Member

Should have kept the 20h and found the right speakers I think. I have the 40c with a c19 mod and Century vintage in it. My buddy has the 40cr stock. He sais he likes the sound of mine better over all (I do too). His Lead 2 is better though but I rather a pedal to get another level of gain on lead 1. My 20cr typically has a greenback m, 25w or neo creamback in it. The enclosure is small so against the 40c it looses at everything except in a zone on the classic gain region with the greenback in it.. This one setting is better than the dsl40c at that one sound. When I run the 40c vs 20cr through the same 2x12 sealed cab with greenback & V30 mix I actually like the 20cr better with its 2 "in between Channel" modes. I bought a SC20c today (the 10" in it sucks) and compared it to the 20cr using each plugged into my 2x12.. The SC went back...I was really shocked at this outcome. I urge you to TRY these JCM20 watt'ers beside something you know before you make the leap like I did. Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  17. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

The first clip is a JCM2000 plugged straight in, no pedals on the red channel.
    The second clip is a JCM800 2204 straight in, no pedals in the high input.
    The third is the 2204 with an OD pushing it.
    The fourth is a SLP for comparison.
    You can almost choose the one you like the look of and go from there.

Attached Files:

tschrama, tsog, wntbtw and 5 others like this.
  18. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Good comparison @Neil Skene !

Ignore watts for the time being and find the amp that hit the tone you're looking for THEN cull the short list. I'm not a gobs of knobs guy and have experimented widely from 4 watts to 100 watts and for all volumes TV to HOLY SHIT after all of that I am a solid 100 watt guy.

The reason is the girth I heard from them vs. small amps is very different. The other area is speakers / cabs. Greenbacks for classic, V30's for modern - I've found the Creambacks sit in the middle of the two.

So play a 1959 SLP & a 1987 [50 watt], a JMP/JCM 2203 & 2204, 2555 or 2555X Jube reissue to see what hits your tone spot. With and without dirt/od/boost pedals. This is why it's good to know Marshall gear nerds because they are happy to have an excuse to infect another Marshall gear nerd.

Russ

JAC, jmp45 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Basic set of knobs for each channel. You only play em one at a time!. It's not as bad as it seems.

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

All four clips do as you said, each one has a specific feel and tone, and my ears say yes to all of them.
    I believe with the 2 different amp types I have (origin dsl’s) I can get very close to your tones.
    So to the OP, use your ears for what it is that you are after, and grab what you think will get you there, quite a few choices, but with any Marshall, you are already in the ballpark!
    Cheers Mitch

Neil Skene likes this.