Looking For Input From Jvm 205h Owners

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Tbomb, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

I would like to ask an owners of the JVM 205H if they are 100% happy with the amp? I have been on the fence lately as to whether or not I want to sell/trade it in to get something else. I used to absolutely love this amp, then I picked us a used 2008 JCM2000 DSL100 head, which I run through a stock 1960A. I absolutely love the cleans on the DSL as well as the first mode of the Ultra Channel. I run a TS9 as boost in front for both channels and I love the tone I’m getting....very warm and tight. Since getting the DSL I have found that I am less fond of the tone I get with my JVM 205H, which runs through a stock 1936. I just think the OD tones on the pushed DSL are warmer than the JVM (I don’t use the TS9 out front). I don’t think the JVM is a bad amp, I’m just not sure if I love the tone as much as I used to. I was thinking of selling it to get a JCM 900, but something (not sure what) is telling me that may be a mistake. Sorry for the long post, but I’m just looking for input from others who have experience with the 205H. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions...

2. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

I have a JVM 210 head and a 205 combo, and I love them both for their tone and versatility. I also own a JCM 900 4502 (2x12 combo), which also is an excellent amp, and you can pick one up at a relatively low price. Having said all that, if you prefer the tone of the DSL over the JVM, then that's all that matters.

3. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP: if you're running the JCM2K DSL100 with a TS9 Ibanez Tube Screamer to get your "warn and tight" sound, then have you tried the same pedal with the 205H? I know you said "I don't use the TS9 out front" in parenthesis, but I'm not sure what you were talking about. Not sure if it will make a difference, but you can try the TS9 or some other pedal with the JVM to see if you get something close to your TS9+DSL sound. I don't recommend going out and buying a bunch of pedals, but if you already got lots of overdrive/distortion/dirt pedals (or if you know someone who can lend you a few), then why not give it a try?

But if you are sure the 205H isn't for you, sell/trade it for something that does give you what you want/need. Your time, your money, your gear, and your decision to do what you think best.

4. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

I do really like the tone on the DSL pushed with an OD and to be honest I do like the tone of my JVM, it’s not a bad tone.... I guess just different. When I first got my JVM I came from a Valvestate halfstack, so the JVM was my first tube amp and it sounded awesome. I thought there was nothing that could beat it, then on a whim I bought the DSL just for the hell of it and then found a new tone I liked even more. I still like my JVM, but it doesn’t get used as much as the DSL now and now I’m just wondering if maybe there is something better that might be worth trading in the JVM towards... IDK.

5. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

I mainly play on OD orange with the gain around noon, so I usually don’t boost it unless I need a little extra umph for a lead run or solo, however I do use I on other channels and modes and like the way it sounds. The only two boost pedals I own are the TS9 and a SD1. The crunch red sounds awesome boosted, but it’s still missing something that I can’t quite put my finger on. Anyway as I mentioned the only other amp I was looking at so far was a JCM900 DR and I almost pulled the trigger, but didn’t because I didn’t know how it would compare to the JVM. There isn’t one locally that I could try and I was gonna trade in my JVM at GC to get it online, but just couldn’t do it.

6. rrguitar1

rrguitar1 Active Member

I have both the Dsl100h and the 205h.
    I run a sd1 in front of the dsl and straight in when using my 205.

Imo, the 205 has a much better tone. Although the dsl with the OD sounds great. I just think the jvm has a much better overall tone without anything in front of it. I've yet to run my sd1 in front of my jvm, and need it for my dsl.

7. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Have you checked the Bias of the JVM?
    If its at the colder side...that would explain the lack of warmth...too hot of bias can make it sound mushy and muddy.

Also which tubes are in the output section...after 2014...they could have had Winged Cs, Tube Amp doctor, Tung Sols or J&J...I have seen the ship with any of those. I will say the J&Js were the weakest of those mentioned.

If the preamp tubes are stock (and nothing wrong with them), running a J&J EC803, Sovtek LPS, or 5751 in the first stage will bring down some of the 'harshness' while retaining plenty of distortion and full body sound.

Or...mod it, sell it, use it as a backup, set it on fire...whatever.

8. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

Re-tubed everything with JJs and set bias at around 35 per the tube. It sounds decent, but seems like it’s missing something. I still have the stock tubes although they maybe a few years old since it was bought new back 2015. I believe it was made in 2014 though. I tried a Tung Sol in V1 and it just made it way too bright. I do like the amp, it just doesn’t seem to have the magic it had when I first got it. I think ultimately I’ll just end up keeping it. Was probably just looking for an excuse to get something new....damn GAS

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  9. Matt_Krush

Tung Sol wasn't my favorite 12AX7 for the first preamp tube either.
    J J s work good in the preamp, but I didn't like their EL34's.
    Now the JJ KT77's on the other hand...those were what I liked best.

10. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

I like my 205H, but I wouldn't say it is the end-all be-all of amps.

I have found that the dirty channel sounds best if the gain is turned down a lot--mine is actually set a hair above 1. I also run a TS9 in front of the dirty channel. This brings the dirt factor back up without the compression. Setting the gain at 1 may seem like a weird thing to do, but that is why the knob goes from zero to ten--you set it where it sounds best to you.

If you like the other amp better, then go for it.

11. JCarno

JCarno Well-Known Member

Of all the current amps I own, my JVM 205H is my least favorite. It's not a bad amp. It just doesn't do anything different than my 2555x, 4104 or Laney IRT60H can do. I prefer the high gain/distortion from my Laney over the JVM.
    I've done one mod to the JVM(r83 or r103) adding another resistor to try and tame the gain. Plus I've swapped Power and pre amp tubes countless times. Bah! Waste of time. She'll be first on the chopping block when/if the time comes.

Tbomb likes this.
  12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I wonder if simply doing tne neg feedback mod will open it up a bit more and make it closer to the DSL. The TS9 up front tightens up the sound as well.
    Try gain on OD orange around 3 with the TS9 using only the Level control on the pedal, no gain there since you are on the DSL. I would strongly recommend the neg fdbk mod, I even managed to do it easily.

Tbomb likes this.
  13. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

With the gain that low doesn’t it sound too thin...even with an OD pushing it. When I play at home I can’t push the master volume to much...maybe like 2-3 max when no ones home and without that extra gain it sounds tiny and thin to me...although I never did try boosting it. Maybe I’ll give it a shot.

14. Trumpet Rider

No, it doesn't sound thin with the TS9 helping out. Here are my current knob positions for my "loud enough to rock out in the basement without the neighbors calling the cops" settings. The Tube Screamer is set with the knobs all fairly close to 12:00. I use the Master on all channels/modes except Clean Green. I don't use the reverb--have a pedal for that.

It is an ever-changing work in progress, but it sounds pretty good right now.

JVM205H.JPG

Tbomb likes this.
  15. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

Excellent....I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for response. That’s way different than how I have my eq’d. Looks like you have your resonance set pretty high and that probably helps fill out the tone with the gain turned down. I usually leave my resonance at about 9:00. Guess I need to mess around a bit more. Thanks again!

16. Trumpet Rider

I think I read an article on the Sweetwater web site about pushing the dirty channel with an overdrive pedal, and it was their suggestion that the amp's gain be set pretty low.

17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

The reason I would set it lower is that if you usually have ut on 5, it would be pretty extreme once the OD is added. So lower it and add OD to taste.

18. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

Here is an update....I found that JVM tone again that I fell in love with when I initially bought the amp. I didn’t really mess with the eq much; however I plugged in the Les Paul Trad I had when I first bought the amp, which was my only LP for a couple years until I got my Standard. Now I play the Standard most of the time and that’s what I have been using recently with my JVM. Here’s the difference LP Trad has Classic 57’s and the Standard had Burst Bucker Pros. I can’t believe I overlooked something as simple the guitar/pickups. Just haven’t played my Trad in a long time and I forgot how good those Classic 57’s sound. Still going to mess with the eq and OD pedal with the Standard, but am happy I found that tone again that made me love my JVM in the first place. Thanks all for the input....Cheers!

19. Matt_Krush

BurstBucker Pro's?
    Yeah...my 2014 Studio came with those.
    By the time I re-EQed the amp to sound good with that guitar, none of the other guitars sounded good with the amp.
    I know some people like them, but I couldn't pitch them BB Pro's fast enough.
    Everything you said about shrill, lifelessness and spikey high mids and no warmth...yeah..thats what I found in the BB Pro's.

As far as stock Gibson pickups...the '57 classics and the 498T are the only ones I care for.

JCarno likes this.
  20. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am not familiar with those two pickup types. Could you give the EQ difference or tonal voicings between those two PUP types?

I think that one big factor with the JVM 2 series is the OD channel. I understand that it is taken from OD2 CH4 on the JVM 4 amp. I myself prefer OD1 over OD2 on my JVM 410H. But not by that much really. It is a subtle difference.

Like JCarno, I removed a bit of the gain from my OD1/OD2 channels and did what they call the Plexi mod as well, and that made a huge impact for the better for my tastes.

As for your DSL100, you might have got lucky like myself and scored one of the good ones. I have twp of them and my good one has an outstanding Lead 1 channel.