Looking For Dsl40cr Substitute Please Help

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Justin Whitstine, Oct 20, 2018.

1. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Active Member

Or for a lower price point, a Blackstar HT40 or HT60 MK II. Beats the crap out of the DSLs.

2. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be saying that...this is the Marshall forum remember? But hate to say it you are right! Lol

3. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioned Blackstar... I watched a local gig when I spied the guitarist using a HT40... Needless to say, his tone was getting buried by the drummer whenever he hits the crash... FOH was good, but his guitar was barely audible....

4. guitarman3001

meh...I've heard all kinds of amazing amps get buried in a mix due to either the player not knowing how to EQ for a gig or the soundman not having a clue. One of the worst tones I've ever heard was a guy playing a LP through a Marshall. It sounded like a can of bees inside a bigger can of bees. And since all the mids were pulled out, it was buried in the mix.

My HT60 MKII has never been buried in a live mix.

5. guitarman3001

double post....

6. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Nope, I rebiased it a few times and it never sounded like a classic Marshall. Others have posted similar experiences. Just different ears and preferences. Not harsh words - just my experience and option. I’m pretty sure the JVM has thick skin.

jericbrazier likes this.
  7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I traded a blackstar series one for my DSL 40CR. The guy in the shop tested the bstar to make sure it worked and thought it was fantastic. I thought it sucked compared to the DSL and was glad to see the back of it. Horses for courses.
    Had the DSL to a few gigs and rehearsals now and I still love it deeply.

8. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

IMO, the Blackstar is a giant downgrade from a Marshall DSL.
    Am I mistaken or does the Blackstar have some solid state aspects to its preamp?
    When I was shopping for amps I tried a Club 60, wasn’t impressed. IMO, the clean sounded cold and sterile, and the lead channel was kinda, meh, nothing special. Obviously, ymmv

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. jericbrazier

I think most of the Blackstar guys are bedroom players. I NEVER see them on stages unless the guy’s endorsed by them.

10. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Yes, the BS has some solid state in the preamp. Many arguments on the web about whether that makes it a hybrid. To me it’s like having an OD pedal in front of the amp - not a big deal.

11. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Active Member

I parted with the HT-1 combo a few years back and moved on to an Orange. I could live with about any Marshall amp, but I wanted a different flavor at the time.

The Blackstar sound reminded me of another brand; that
    being Mesa amps.....a sound that grates on my ears.

classicplayer

scozz likes this.
  12. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

I hear guy's talking about the dsl40cr mine sounds good dead quite power or
    stand-by did my upgrades to Cel. Cream Alnico 90w speaker, 4-RFT/ECC83 Pre-Amp Tubes, 2-RFT/Siemens Power Tubes stall dead quite power or stand-by I must of got lucky this amp sounds great.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  13. jericbrazier

An OD pedal running through an all tube signal is a completely different animal than a hybrid.
    If you love your amp, own it. For ex, yeah, so what it’s a hybrid, I love it!! Sorry, “it’s the same as putting a OD in front”, is a pet peeve. It’s not the same.

14. jlinde1973

This is complete nonsense....don't listen to that BS! Blackstar cleans are right up with best in the business....world's ahead of ANY Marshall ever made even the Jvm.. I owned both side by side. Sold the Jvm for the Blackstar....but then sold the Blackstar for an old 900dr. That 900 smokes them all and it was stupid cheap. You might want to give one a try if you can get over the "diode clipping" thing. Listen to tone with your ears not your eyes.

15. Len

Len Well-Known Member

I’m not getting your reply. Others have called it a hybrid, not me. I’m pretty sure it’s got solid state electronics (like an op amp) in the preamp, which could be seen as analogous as using a pedal in front of an all tube amp. If you have more details to highlight the differences please let me know - I’m interested.

16. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

Just switched from DSL20 to a YCV40. Works well with my ME80 (Strat and LPC)

17. jlinde1973

Yup it uses op amps and diodes. Just like the pedals he runs thru his all tube signal. Atleast he won't be tripping over his pedalboard that way.

Len likes this.
  18. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you can afford it, just buy a Friedman Small Box 50 1x12. It has that Plexi tone on channel 1 and channel two goes from JMP to hot rod def JCM 800. It’s the best amp I have ever owned, sounds awesome and is built like a tank.

ken361 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. jericbrazier

All I know is to me, the Marshall’s sound way more organic. I’m not an electrical engineer, I don’t know how the BS’s preamp works. You said, “kind of a hybrid”. I said a hybrid and an all tube signal path being pushed by a pedal, ain’t the same thing.
    I’m not knocking your taste or amp. I’m just giving my opinion. I’m not right or wrong regarding preferred tones, and neither is anyone else.
    No offense intended. Cheers!

Roag Jones, Mitchell Pearrow and Len like this.
  20. jericbrazier

It’s all subjective right? I agree, the JVM doesn’t sound 2.5x better than a dsl40c, IMO, which is how much more it costs.
    I love my DSL! Amps don’t have to cost $2k to sound good. On the JVM your paying for a birch cabinet, and European labor. It’s a PCB amp whose electrical components all come from Asia ( besides the transformer, maybe), and whose tubes come from the same few factories ALL tubes are manufactured that are in China and Russia.