Long Shot - Locating My Old '72/'73(?) Marshall SL 100W Stack

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Midnight Blues, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

I know this is a long shot at best, but I'm trying to locate my old '72/'73(?) Super Lead full-stack that I bought in the mid '70s and subsequently sold (I was recently married and had lost my job) in the mid '80s. Location: Central New York

The head had a polarity switch with a MV that I had installed on the back and the cabs were 1960AX/BX.

Hoping that the lucky owner is a member here.

:cheers: gang!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

They made X cabs in the 70s? I thought the X designated reissue.

Midnight Blues and Kelia like this.
  3. Midnight Blues

I never heard that about the "X" designation, but you're probably right. They may not have been referred to as "X" cabs back then, I really don't remember, but that's the type of cabs they were. They had the checkered grill cloth. In fact, the stack looked like this except this head doesn't have a polarity switch:

[​IMG]

The grill cloth in the picture looks much darker than it actually is/was though. It looked more this color (my YJM100):

[​IMG]

Thanks for the post Trapland and :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and Trapland like this.
  4. Len

Len Well-Known Member

You might have a better chance of finding it if you have a more descriptive title to your thread.

Troy T. Blues likes this.
  5. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. You can change the thread title by going to "Thread Tools" above. I highly recommend doing that.

6. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

Also I think it might help to post what area of the country it was last seen in. Might still be local.

7. Midnight Blues

GREAT suggestions guys and I'll take your advice!

Thanks and :cheers:

Troy T. Blues likes this.
  8. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I sold my 2 x 1972 Super Lead 100 half-stacks (original matching 4x12 B cabs) back in '99. Worst sale mistake I've ever made. I purchased both stacks for $1600.00 USD. Sold them for $1500.00 each, and thought I did well. This was pre eBay era, of-course.

9. Midnight Blues

I've been kicking myself endlessly since I sold mine, but under the circumstances, there wasn't much else I can do.

I can do even better(?) than that. If I remember correctly, I bought it for $800.00 (No kidding, it was really like brand new.) and I believe I sold it for the same price, covers and all! Oh, if I only still had it...

Took me almost 30 years, but I finally bought another 100 Watter, with my YJM100. I'm not really an Yngwie fan (not that there's anything wrong with him), but that amp has everything I could want and I don't even use half of what it has. To be honest, I rarely play through it, opting instead to play through my 1974X or my Class 5. I just wanted another big Marshall, just to have one. LOL!

Thanks for the post and :cheers:

JacksonCharvelAddict and 67Mopar like this.
  10. 67Mopar

I rarely ever stood in the same room with my Super Lead's, but man, what a sound! Between Marshall and VOX, it just doesn't get any better. I cracked our living room ceiling with the Super Lead. It didn't actually crack the drywall, but it shook the joint compound out from between the boards. Broke several ceramic kitchen decorations as well. Unbeknownst to me, a fragment went into the disposal... When I turned it on, all hell broke loose! Good times.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I used to destroy my hearing on a daily basis
    , my buddy Delfin had a super lead 1959, no master volume, 4 holer, his garage was converted into a jam room, and we would rehearse songs at gig volume, and I swear my hearing is still not right from those days, late 70’s
    Cheers Mitch

Midnight Blues and 67Mopar like this.
  12. 67Mopar

Mine as well. The concert that did the most damage, was Aerosmith with Brad Whitford and Jimmy Crespo. I've been to a lot of shows, but for whatever reason, that show was insanely loud.

13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Funny thing about the shows is I never felt the sound pressure that I was getting in Delfins garage !
    if that makes any sense, we were only about 10-12’ away from our amps and the back wall was all full height mirrors, to 7’ tall , talk abou chaos !
    Cheers Mitch

Midnight Blues and 67Mopar like this.
  14. 67Mopar

Yeah... In a small space, sound waves can be punishing. Although acoustics are poor, I've always preferred outside shows. This is why I skipped Lynyrd Skynyrd in '77 at Lakeland, FL. We heard they would be attending the Orlando T Bowl later in the year, or early '78.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Midnight Blues

I used to lug my stack back-and-forth- from practice, to home, to gigs and home etc. Of course, I was much younger then, so I could handle it. I used to bring it up to my bedroom and when we weren't practicing or gigging, I'd play it my room at gig volume, even before I had the MV installed. Type about LOUD! Loved every minute of it too! The cool thing is that my parents never complained, not even once.

By far the loudest show I saw was ZZ Top back in the '70s. My ears are still ringing! :lol::lol::lol: