Line 6 500HD at wits end

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Crikey, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

ok, I toyed with this Line 6 pod for probably too long.
    was trying to not use my computer to make adjustments to the sounds/effects while plugged into my Marshall.
    everything in this unit sounds so compressed and trying to adjust sounds while playing is frustrating..
    I think I will try to trade this thing for analog pedals
    anyone else had similar issues?

does anyone have a good expereience using the unit just for effects while NOT using the amp simulators?

2. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

It's hard to say exactly what might be causing your negative experience, but here are something you can try.

Question: How are you using/trying to use the HD500? For example, you are trying to use the HD500 amplifier models through you Marshall amplifier? Are you trying to use just the effects with your Marshall amplifier.

1) If you want to use just the HD500 effects with your Marshall amplifier, then kill all amplifier models and cabinet models.

2) If you want to use just the HD500 effects with your Marshall amplifier, then try putting the HD500 in your effects loop of your Marshall amplifier (I'm not sure what Marshall amplifier you are using with the HD500, or whether your Marshall amplifier even has an effects loop).

3) If you are trying to use the HD500 amplifier models and cabinet models with your Marshall amplifier, then it's best to switch to the Marshall amplifier's clean channel (or dial in the cleanest tone you can if you are using a single channel Marshall amplifier). After you set the amp to the clean channel or a clean tone, plug the guitar into the HD500 and then the HD500 into the amplifier's instrument input. Try different options such as HD500 amplifier models with HD500 cabinet models, then try HD500 without cabinet models to see what sounds best.

4) Look to see if there are any "sound enhancements" that can be turned off if you are using HD500 with effects only. For example, Line 6 sometimes incorporated a technology called "Acoustically Integrated Recording" (A.I.R. for short) whenever a POD unit was switched from amplifier mode to direct signal (as in direct to a PA system, mixing board, recording interface, etc). These sound enhancements sometimes add undesired sound qualities when playing between the HD500 and the amplifier.

In the past, I've used HD500 with my JVM410H which yielded very good results. I tried the HD500 amp models with my 410H, but it never sounded good so I turned off all amp models and cabinet models and ran the HD500 in the effects loop. My overall experience with the HD500 is as one of the best floor-based multi-effects units I've ever used. For some people (including me) it takes some time finding exactly what you want, but it's worth the time and effort.

A cool feature of the HD500 is you can "copy and paste" certain effects to another footswitch location and make adjustments. Let's say you tried all the delay options and you settle on digital delay as your favorite. You can work on tweaking the digital delay parameters to your desire and then save it to a footswitch. Later, if you decide you need digital delay with different parameters, just copy what you have to another footswitch and start tweaking parameters until you find what you like. It's OK if you find you are not using every single effects all the time, but it's nice to know that you have lots of choices for future song ideas.

Finally, you can backup all you tones to a computer for future use. Backup is cool because it let's you save all your favorite tones however you wish. When I used to play in two different band, I saved/backed up all my tones into two files on a computer. Whenever it was time to play with the other band, I saved my current setup to a computer file, then loaded tones I use for the second band from a computer into the HD500. Doing things this way made it easy to create tones for a set list we used.

Good luck with your HD500. But remember, if you feel it just doesn't feel comfortable, sell it and buy what does feel comfortable.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Crikey and wakjob like this.
  3. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Great info. Thanks.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  4. Rodney

Rodney Active Member

i had a HD 500 when they first came on the market , i ran it into a Vox AC 30 , never really was happy with results though that may have been my lack of knowledge, went back to analog pedals and was happy , then i got a new old school Marshall and kept using my analog pedals , after a while i got somewhat board with the analog pedals , i recently purchased a Headrush pedal board and i must say i am wrapped in the sounds despite being criticized for running new school digital into old school Marshall , but hey i like it , i guess with any of these digital boards it take time to learn , where as analog is plug in and play and you get what you get , maybe try other brands of digital effects , but maybe you just prefer analog pedals ....

Crikey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Member

My tip is you need turn off all efectts ,simulacions speakers and all that it's on. Then turn on just one effect and start to seek your tone. Take your time, maybe you needs start many times. It's not easy.
    Just my opinon.

Crikey likes this.
  6. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Member

I usually use a rack multieffects Yamaha fx900 on the serie fxloop of my amps. Just use delay, reverb and chorus. I set It and mix It low, not to much effect.

Crikey likes this.
  7. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I had one before, but it was too much fiddling with the buttons and the computer so I got no time to play, sold it and obtained analog pedals instead

TC

Crikey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.