Let's face the f*cking truth

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Lespaulnmarshall, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Lespaulnmarshall

Lespaulnmarshall Well-Known Member

I wanted to tell one little thing, let's face the truth.

We are all bitchin' about tubes, amps, guitars, pickups ect... and I love to do that, but, Angus Young (and every other great guitarist) sounds like Angus Young. Whatever gear he uses, he sounds like Angus Young. No matter if he plays a Plywood strat and a 5w SS pratice amp or a wall of Plexis and a vintage Gibson SG.

I just felt like screaming this out loud!

I'm a big fan of fancy and expencive guitar gear myself, in the end, tone is in the hands.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

2. drriff

drriff Active Member

100% agree!

3. trobdcso

trobdcso New Member

Thankfully he doesn't play out of a plywood strat and a 5w solid state.

4. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Some of us have echoed that until we're blue in the face.

Chasing tone IS important as we all know how emotional truly great tone makes our playing... but you have to be a good musician to make that tone awesome in the first place. It's in the fingers and not the equipment.

Ken

5. 80's Rocker

80's Rocker New Member

I think he would sound different on a plywood strat and 5w solid state.

6. Lespaulnmarshall

Yes but we'd all say, "that's Angus!"

7. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

I totally agree. When I get new gear, or dial in my sound a little, I sometimes show my brother, who is our bass player. He has a great ear, you know what he always says? It sounds like you dude. Maybe a little more topend, or lowend, but it sounds like me.

8. Lespaulnmarshall

Now I'm waiting till the original post gets quoted in someones signature :lol:

9. 80's Rocker

80's Rocker New Member

There is definately alot of sound in the fingers but yes, people do sound different coming from different gear. You may still know what guitar player it is based on their style...but the best example of gear chaning sound alot would be no other than EVH. First album compared to alot of the Van Hagar stuff with Peavey has a HUGE difference in sound.

10. Lespaulnmarshall

Sure but Eddies technique also improved over the years. And no matter what gear he uses we sill hear it's EVH playing.

11. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Well-Known Member

So very true... that is why I never bitch about tubes, amps, guitars or pickups... my tone is my tone and it has always come from me not my gear. The gear just helps me project that tone.

12. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Well-Known Member

That's partly true as some amps and effects create different sounds, but the general tone sounds the same. Eddie's sound may vary today than it did in 78', but there are tones that once you hear them you know it is him...

13. Michael RT

Michael RT Well-Known Member VIP Member

You got it Brother. :h5::cheers::applause::applause::applause:

14. Bieling3

Bieling3 New Member

True enough. I agree 100%... But when I used to have my JCM 800 I would just intrisically start playing Randy Rhoads/Angus Young/Slash type stuff. When I switched over to the TSL 100 I found that while noodling away I would come across different tones easier and more often, and find myself playing more Greenday and Garage Inc era Metallica.

Yes, for the most part the old saying is correct, "tone is in the hands." Each amp has it's own character, however, and just like a Subaru Imprezza is going to get through the slalom quicker than a '69 Camero, and that small block V-8 is going to dust the WRX in the straights, it's not the full story. Stating "tone is in the hands" as an answer to how do I get Slash/EVH/Page/Hendrix/Young etc, etc is kind of a cop out and almost as annoying as those oft repeated questions themselves.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  15. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:)Thanx. Now I have to face the reality that I'm still gonna suck, EVEN on a 45/100.....

:slap::slap: TWIN

16. MKB

MKB Well-Known Member

The thing with gear is that it may not make you sound different to other folks, but it does make a difference to you personally. And that is enough to justify all this silliness.

The things I like about Marshalls is the small stuff; dynamic response, the curve of the midrange harmonics, and how the notes stop after you play them. Also how the harmonics change over time when you hold a note, and how you can control them with your hands. Most amps sound flat, but most Marshalls don't, they sound alive.

Can other folks hear these things? Probably not. But I can express myself better through these amps, and folks can hear that.

17. Salsg

Salsg Well-Known Member

I sound very different on my strat thru my twin than I do with my LP and my VM. The inherent style and phrasing is still me but the tone is different (obviously) but also how I play according to different equipment.
    There is a difference that gear makes.
    Getting the best out of the gear is up to the player, and that's where "tone is in the hands" is appropriate, imo.

18. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    I started on a Teisco guitar & 5 watt amp from Montgomery Wards catalog in the 70's, trust me, i sound much better with a Gibson LP & Marshall JMP.....really.:hmm:

19. IbanezMark

IbanezMark Senior Member

I sound pretty much the same, just differing levels of "sub-par"

20. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Here's ya a pretty good anaology. I got two amps and two cars. I can get good tone from my little 50w MG combo but I have to work my ass off to get what I get just by idling my DSL100 Stack. I look pretty good and get to 60 pretty quick in my '96 firebird, but I look great and get there real damned quick in my '69 big block 'vette. Equipment does make a difference.