Les Paul string height

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by KISS NATION, Jan 11, 2013.

1. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Active Member

can anyone tell me a reasonable string height for a Les Paul?
    I found a guide that says the strings at the 12th fret should be 1.2mm on the high E and 2mm on the low E, currently my strings are 3.5mm on the high E and 3mm on the low E.
    I know there is no such thing as a correct string height, but mine does feel a little on the high side.
    would it be a good idea to lower the strings according to the guide I have found, or is there a better guide for string height?

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I set my LP and every other guitar 1/16" gap at the 12th fret.

3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I believe the 1.2mm high and 2.0mm low is typical specification for Les Pauls.

I do not even have 3.5mm on the low side of my acoustic.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Well-Known Member

Straight from Gibson:

Hi I'm David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.
    To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E. ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.
    Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64" (I think the 3/64" is a typo, it should be 3/32") , neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".
    Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch.

5. Roadburn

Roadburn New Member

I do think it's about time companies like Gibson would start using the metric system....

Birma, Liberia and the U.S. are the only countries in the world who still use empiric
    wtf is an inch???

:fingersx::fingersx::fingersx:

Wiking likes this.
  6. mickeydg5

An inch is 25.4mm. :D

7. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

my SG's set at .6mm to .4 but it needs a slight adjustment. i keep mine LOW generaly .4mm low e (fret board to bottom of the string without fretting anything) but they have to have perfect frets for it. all of mine are in the .4-.6mm territory though depending on when i set them up. the SG is due.

8. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

WTF is a MM? Lol

CaptainZero and Roadburn like this.
  9. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Thanks for that David. I will use this as a starting point. I've found over the years (especially with older guitars) that a bit of adjustment from factory settings is possible. I like the action as low as possible without any nasty chokes or buzzes. I've just bought a new Les Paul so it will be interesting how much is "left on the bone" from factory settings. :wave:

10. Vmodder

Vmodder New Member

I've found that my Lp's also need some relief in the neck to get a good low, buzz free action.

11. KISS NATION

Thanks for the help guys. I have thought for a while that something doesn't quite feel right. it wasn't until I replaced my strings the other day when I noticed how high the strings were.

12. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) Plus, if you REALLY want to play around with it, a lot of the Buzz you can hear with it unplugged cannot be heard with it plugged in. The check for TOO Low is bending a string up past the 12th fret. If it doesn't choke out, even though you may hear buzz, with it unplugged, you are good to go.

Lower away.

:cool::cool: TWIN

Nudge68 likes this.
  13. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) So I'm taking it is if your action is 25.4mm, then you are set a Tad high?

Just throw on some 15 Gauge Strings and SRV would be proud....

:cool::cool: TWIN

thrawn86 and tonefreak like this.
  14. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

double post

:):) TWIN

15. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) .010 at the 9th fret holding the string down at the 1st and 14th frets. According to Gibson Manual. Fender says @ 7th and 1st and 15th.

:):) TWIN

Vmodder likes this.
  16. mickeydg5

Nah man, 25.4 action is for when I use wire rope and tune down 18 steps. :cool:

17. mickeydg5

All this sounds like SHREDDER talk.

18. Vmodder

Vmodder New Member

That's a good baseline to go by. Here in the NW I have to check/adjust my necks twice a year. You are also correct about hearing the buzzing unplugged better.
    The best gear investment I have done was to get a basic setup kit from Stew-Mac. Big time saver when you have a lot of guitars....
    STEWMAC.COM : Basic Setup Kit

19. KISS NATION

That seems like a good thing to buy. I don't think it would be currently worth it for the replica guitars I have though. but when the day comes that I can afford a real les paul and a real fender strat, that will be one of the things on my shopping list.
    a friend also suggested I buy a gibson and fender tool kit, which would be nice but I already have all the tools I need to adjust everything on both guitars.

20. Vmodder

Vmodder New Member

If you ever start modding or building guitars it is almost a must. They come in metric too you know. :thumb: