Les Paul pickups hissing

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by alpha0steel, May 1, 2012.

1. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

So my guitar lately has been giving me some nasty feedback hiss when I turn the gain up past a quarter if my volume is above half and I'm pretty sure this isn't normal haha I play through a marshall jvm210h and if I am on the orange or red channel and my gain is past a quarter than the hiss don't stop, could it be my strings are too close to my pickups? Any thoughts?

2. Wiseblood

Wiseblood Well-Known Member

What exactly are your amp settings?

All tube amps do have some hiss. It should not squeal, but a hiss is normal. The JVM's in particular are know to be noisier, however, that comes with the territory they are high gain heads. Your typical JCM/JMP 2203's for example don't have near the same amount of gain as a JVM. Bare in mind it also depends on what channel you are referring to on the JVM.

I also assume your talking guitar into amp, no pedals. Best to plug straight in first, get the amp sounding as it is intended to and then color your tone with pedal (if need be) and see if the pedals add noise.

I can tell you for sure the red channel will be somewhat noisy depending on your gain & volume settings.

Let us know your amp settings and for now plug straight in with no pedals while we troubleshoot.

3. Reckless_Life

Reckless_Life Well-Known Member

Is it an older LP or one with older pickups?
    If so, it could be that your pickups need to be waxpotted, but a noisegate between your guitar and amp works just as well.

4. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

My settings are

OD channel
    Mode: Orange
    Bass: 2 o clock
    Mid: 11 o clock
    Treble: 3 o clock
    Gain: 10 o clock
    Pressence: 1-2 o clock
    Resonance: 1-2 o clock

And it is a squeal and screechy kind of sound and it is a les Paul with really old pickups

5. Wiseblood

Wiseblood Well-Known Member

Those settings are pretty low gain, I doubt the noise I refer to is the issue, noise should only come at higher gain settings, and more apparent on the red channel.

I'm thinkin Reckless_Life may be correct in what he mentions above.

6. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Probably so. Do the pickups have covers? If so, tap on them with your pick while your amp is up to volume. If you just hear a light tapping sound, that's normal. If it produces a loud, ringing tapping sound, you have a little work to do.

The easiest thing is to take the cover off and put a little silicone gel on the top of the pickup so that it makes contact with the cover when you put it back on. The gel won't hurt the pickup, but try to use just enough to do the job. You don't want it getting into the cracks and crevices. the covers should be soldered to the baseplate so you'll have to remove that to get them off. Don't forget to solder them back in place when you put them back on. Or do like I do and just leave the covers off. I think Gibson humbuckers sound better without covers anyway.

Do you know what year and model your Les Paul is? I'm assuming it has PAF style humbuckers. If it's a Deluxe with mini humbuckers or a guitar with P90 pickups, ignore all that other bullshit. If this doesn't make sense, I just got home after a 16 hour day and my brain is numb. I'll sort it out later.

7. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

could be a microphonic preamp tube as well.

do other guitars behave similarly?

8. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Can we get a lshot of the pups. What year is the guitar. older as in even early shaws which were mid 80s have that problem. It is usually do to volume and or gain settings. Potting will fix the issue but if it is say a T-Top or a pt number you will destroy the value and the history surrounding the pup. Even Shaws are starting to become very sought after and historic.

9. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

So I am going to wax pot my pups but I was reading that I don't need to remove the cover of the pup, is this true?

10. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

correct, you need the cover installed to wax pot.