Les Paul Asymmetrical Neck & Compound Radius

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by HotRats73, Feb 15, 2017.

1. HotRats73

HotRats73 Active Member

A month ago I've bought a 2016 Les Paul Standard T with the modern neck profile, you know the asymmetrical one with radius that increase on higher frets.

I've always loved fat necks on a LP like the one I've got on my traditional and never liked the 60s slim taper. I like a thin neck on an SG but not on a les paul

Or at least I used dislike to becuase I have to admit that this slim neck profile is awesome.

I still love the fat neck and the way it fills my hand how it makes me fight a littile against the instrument. Fighting is good sometimes.

But I'm happy I've found a slim profile I like, feels comfortable and easy to play because sometimes an easier neck is what you need.

What are your thoughts on this profile?

Geeze likes this.
  2. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

I haven't played the asymetrical profile but all my LP's have 60's necks which i prefer.

Compound radius fretboards and i became aquinted in 1988' when i bought my first Charvel, love those necks on the MIJ older ones.

kinleyd and Gianni like this.
  3. HotRats73

HotRats73 Active Member

I've been a Gibson only guy for the last 26 years (except a for a Stratocaster I've never really liked and sold after 12 years) and owned had Studio with the 60s slim taper. I liked the guitar but not the neck. It was an ok profile was not for me.

I'm surprised how much this one feels different with out being too different. It feels like a LP wich is something really important.

My two current LPs. Traditional on the left, standard on the right.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

I've had several LPS's some with the 60's neck, some with the 50's neck and two with the asymmetrical neck. I liked them all but have since sold off the ones with the 50's neck and the asymmetrical necks and replaced them with 60's just because I like the 60's a touch better but that is just me.

5. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

I have played both a classic ‘60s slim-taper neck on my 2012 Les Paul Traditional Pro, and an asymmetrical, compound-radius ‘60s one on my 2012 Standard, but I feel much more comfortable with the late-‘50s rounded neck profile of my 2013 solid-body Traditional.

I have fairly long fingers, though I wish my pinky were just a little longer, so if they ever make a late-‘50s asymmetrical neck, I might change my mind. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

My first LP was a 2013 with the asymmetrical neck - first LP I thought I actually liked as Jackson ruined me in the 80's. Made a discovery recently while the neck profile was part of the equation, the body shape played a bigger part than I realized. Fast forward a week ago as I bought a mint '96 Standard with a 60's profile - I don't notice that much difference with the neck as I am now over hating [pretty much] the body shape. Specifically the lack of tummy cut on LP's except for the $7K Axcess model. As an overweight old lazy sit down player comfort matters!

Russ

7. HotRats73

HotRats73 Active Member

Tonight i've played my standard aginst the 50s neck of the traditional and I think that what I'm linking most on this neck is the compound radius.

The asymmetrical thing is less evident because the overall difference in size is the thing you notice more.

But if you know how a classic 60s slim taper feels you may appreciate how the asymmetrical follows better the shape of your hand. Or at least mine.

Anyway.
    Try to play something like paranoid riff an a modern standard and then on a lp with a fat neck.
    There's difference for sure.

8. Hippy07

Hippy07 Member

I have a few Les Pauls, my favourite is my 1960 reissue the neck profile is inbetween my standard with 60s slim taper neck and my 1959 reissue. If you get a chance give a R0 a play, perfect neck for me.

9. kinleyd

kinleyd Well-Known Member

I just love that collection. Much envy here!

charveldan likes this.
  10. kinleyd

kinleyd Well-Known Member

Beautiful!!

Gianni likes this.
  11. renips

renips Well-Known Member

My Gold Top has the 60's profile and I love it