Lead 80's

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by trobdcso, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Woods

Woods Active Member

What are you rambling about in a 5 year old dead thread?

2. geddyleefan

geddyleefan Active Member

In my opinion one of the best Celestion speakers made right now. I like em in my JCM 900 for a huge wall of sound, heavy lows with decent mids and the treble detail is smooth. People say they sound a bit glassy in the highs with a dollop of gain but I don't hear it. They pair well with other speakers, currently I have it with the V12-80. They pair well with the Vintage 30, 12T-75 and an Eminence Private Jack and even the Tonker

3. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

Very similar to G12T-75's .. but more mids, bit more easy on the presence

4. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

Ok so the used Celestion Egnater Elite 80 has been installed for almost 3 months. Im a bit disappointed. It definitely was pulled-new before any significant break-in time. And it's taking a looooong time to break-in. It still has that "stiff/flat" tone, the others have mentioned. I can hear it smooth-out a bit more, each session, but it's taking it's sweet time. I was breaking it -in, via an old 1922 212, with various ss amps as well as a home stereo. I finally paired it with a Eminence Governor in a 1936 212 for a 4 hour gig at some decent volume. But 102.2db Gov' just overpowered 99db Elite 80, and I think not just the 3.2db difference, but the voicing. (I had the Gov paired with a 97db G75T and it didn't walk all over it). Im hoping this Elite 80 wakes-up sometime soon. It actually sounded better alone, and powered by some crap SS amps and various nasty cheap distortion pedals?? Go figure?

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Active Member

I have a G12H-80 in my 18 Watter clone, got it cheap on eBay because it had a small cone tear that needed to be patched. I love it, it's very natural, un-hyped speaker. Avatar blew out a big surplus lot of G12H-80s years ago for about $50 each, it was a great deal on a little-know but great speaker.