Lead 80's

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by trobdcso, Nov 3, 2011.

1. trobdcso

trobdcso New Member

Or Elite 80's (egnater's custom voiced after a lead 80). Anyone got experience with either speaker? I'm a V30 guy, but I have an excellent opportunity to buy a 2x12 with Elite 80's in it.

2. trobdcso

trobdcso New Member

Nobody here has experience with Celestion Classic Lead 80's?

3. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

One of my favorites, right behind the G12-65's.

They will give you just a touch less volume than V30's as they are rated at 99dB where the V30 is 100dB.

And they are more of a neutral speaker to my ears - as in they do not spike in the mids or lows or highs. Good all around speaker with sweet breakup. And actually I have mixed them with a few different Celestions with good results with a V30 being one of them.

:D

They are supposed to be the continuation of the old G12-80's.

4. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I liked my old G12-80 and as said it was a very nuetral sounding speaker, no peaks or valleys. And it seemed it really needed some power to sound really good, low volume was meh, just ok.

5. trobdcso

trobdcso New Member

G12-80's that's the Seventy 80's right?

6. trobdcso

trobdcso New Member

Interesting, probably a better speaker for my DSL instead of the VM. :hmm:

7. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

Nope. Different models.

Cheers!
    :dude::dude::dude:

8. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

Interesting thought. I had heard these were good for low volume stuff.

But maybe thats for people with attenuators + eqs.

9. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

As Clammy stated, the 70-80 is a completely different speaker.

And for me, I am running all my amps through my 1936 cab with two G12-65's.

Very Sweet!

10. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

My G12H-80's sound great at low volume, but that's more the DSL than the speakers I think.

Ken

11. Csquare4

Csquare4 New Member

I have an Egnater 2x12 with Elite 80's that sounds great with the back open at low volume. Very flat as mentioned, but I like that, as I can dial them in for the particular room with EQ and my Tube Screamer.

At volume, they still sound great, but my experience is when pushing them, go to the closed back configuration (if its an Egnater 2x12) to get more balls.

I was going to swap them for V30s, but I found that these sound better to my ears...much easier to tweak to the room acoustics. I tried it mixed with a V30 as well, and though it was better than the two V30s, I think I liked it more with the 2 Elite 80's so I went back to that.

I actually bought another Elite 80 from Ebay for $45 - people seem to give them away for some reason - that I am going to put into a 2x12 Avatar I have with either an H30 or V30 to see how that sounds when I get around to it.

YMMV, but for me, I think it is one of Celestion's "best" all around "new" speaker. But all my experience is with the Egnater version, so what Bruce does to these may or may not apply to a standard Lead 80.

12. trobdcso

trobdcso New Member

Good info. Thanks.

13. rjohns1

rjohns1 Well-Known Member

I own an Egnater Tourmaster 212 combo. I love these speakers. The Elite 80 is a Classic lead 80 with a slight mod to the lowend for use in small cabinets. This quote was from Bruce Egnater on the Rig-Talk forum:
    "The Egnater Elite 80 is a Classic Lead 80 that is private labeled for us. They did some sort of tweak to the low end that makes it ever so slightly fuller in a small cabinet. Honestly, I don't know if anyone could really tell the difference between the Egnater and the CL80 except maybe in a blind A/B test. I would consider them interchangeable. FYI, this speaker excels over other speakers in the smaller cabinets (open or closed back) for a much fuller/tighter low end, smoother high end and tons less cone break up (farting). How loud you play has a tremendous effect on how a speaker responds. A V30 can sound brighter, clearer at low volumes but does tend to get a little abrasive in the high end and definitely breaks up easier than the 80 at higher volume."

14. brp

brp Well-Known Member

So what's the seventy 80 like?
    How would you guys describe it's character?

15. bulldozer1984

bulldozer1984 Everybody's Favorite Member VIP Member

Trob,

I just put 2 x Classic Lead 80's in the top of the 1960b (75's in the bottom) and man these are a great sounding speaker..

They sound like absolute shit at low volumes (really harsh), but fuck when u crank em up they sound unreal..
    The best way i would describe em is that they sound meaty as hell.. Really thick..

I know this is an old thread and if you have tried some out id be interested in hearing your impression of them..

16. Csquare4

Csquare4 New Member

Try them in an open back at low volumes and see if they work for you. That is one reason I like the Egnater Tourmaster 212. For home use, open the back, for live use, close it up.

17. bulldozer1984

bulldozer1984 Everybody's Favorite Member VIP Member

That's a good suggestion man but I'm not too worried how they sound at low volume. As long as they sound good cranked I'm happy !

18. trobdcso

trobdcso New Member

I thought they sounded great! I ended up buying the 2x12 cab. My friend ended up buying it from me. I only had it like 3 days. He wanted it more than me, and I recooped my money. I have this weird thing about my cab matching my amp. Not so much color, piping, etc, but my cabs need to say Marshall otherwise I get funky about it. Ha.

19. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

I like mine at low volume but as I've said, I think it's more the DSL's ability to sound good at low volume than the speakers. I would be curious to try it through some Greenbacks.

Ken

20. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

Up until recent times (2016) people seemed to think that these Egnater Elite 80s were simply standard-issue Celestions, contracted & relabeled for Egnater. Similar to those LadyLuck & BlackJack Eminences (which are not bad BTW). And many were summarily replaced with tried n true speaker models, then sold for a song on the used market. Then when official word got-out that they are really custom-voiced CL80s, people began to appreciate their value. I missed-out on a pair for less than $80US on eBay, the owner took them off-auction when he realized what they were. I just scored another on eBay for $50 + $18 coast to coast shipping. I had asked the seller if it had enough hours to be broken-in at the time of removal, and also if he'd lower the shipping, being I was in a neighboring state less than 300mi away (as opposed to 3000). His reply to both was very sarcastic. But I wanted the speaker and he didn't do his homework so tough luck! I won the auction. I've got it temporarily installed in an old cabinet for break-in. It already sounds great and does in-fact have a lot of bottom for a small enclosure. I've had it about a week. Every day when I get home I play an entire CD though it twice, then later play guitar & amp through it for about an hour. It does seem to be warming up a noticeable amount. In a few weeks I'll pair it with a broken-in Emi Governor in a 2x12. I'll review that combo later.....