Lead 12 3005 Mini Stack Speakers

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by PantherTy, Mar 20, 2019.

?

Greenback, vintage, 1 of each?

1. Greenback

100.0%
  2. Vintage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 of each

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PantherTy

PantherTy New Member

Hey guys, first post on here. I just swooped up this amp and its really chimey and in need of speakers. I'm up in the air between replacing the speakers in the 2 cabs with celestion g10 greenback or g10 vintage, or even 1 in 1 cab and 1 in the other Has anyone done this, have any feedback or can point me to another thread and in the right direction.
    For what it's worth I will also being using 1 or both cabs with an orange micro dark. And playing either a prs se custom 24 or epi g400.
    Sorry for bad pic..I swear that guitar is prettier in person haha Screenshot_20190320-015659_Gallery.jpg

2. nichd

nichd Member

Looks like mine!- I kept the orig speaks in it.

3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

10" Jensen jet Falcon 40..I have the stock speakers in mine. They kill the amp imo. My buddy has the jensen in 1 of the lead 12 cabs and it's so much better than the stock speakers in mine. I will be grabbing some Jensens for mine in the future.

Mitchell Pearrow and PantherTy like this.
  4. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Member

Welcome to the forum!

I also have the stock speakers in mine, but have been considering getting replacements. There are a few threads on this forum about replacements that might help you learn from what others have done. In addition to the ones you suggested, I've also been considering the G10N-40 and I'm very curious about the new G10 Creamback.

Perhaps someone with more experience could comment on this, but one concern I would have with mixing the Greenback and the Vintage is that the Vintage would dominate the tone due to its higher sensitivity.

Good luck with your search and please keep us updated with what you've tried and liked or disliked.

5. PantherTy

PantherTy New Member

Thanks guys! Good insight on the vintage overpowering the greenback. And after looking at the charts I must have overlooked the creamback because it seems well rounded and right up my alley but I'm not having any luck finding any clips of it to listen too.. may Guinea pig myself and give them a shot, if so I'll report back and post some audio

6. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Member

The Creamback is newly-introduced, but not yet available. In another thread someone mentioned that Celestion said they should be available in April or May.

Mitchell Pearrow and nichd like this.
  7. PantherTy

PantherTy New Member

Right on, thanks again. I can ride it out another month or so, any idea what price point they will be at?

8. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Member

No, but the website says they're "hand-built in the UK", so I'm thinking they'll be pricey.

steveb63 likes this.
  9. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

stringtree and ricksconnected like this.
  10. PantherTy

PantherTy New Member

Of course they will be Haha I'm trying to stick around 300 for whatever pair I go with.
    And appreciate the link Gibson67 but am looking for 16ohm speakers as well

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

The jensens sound alot like greenies..don't blow them off because they don't say celestion..and they're only around 50 bucks each. You should check out some reviews. Spending 300 clams on 2 10 inch speakers seems nuts.

12. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Member

Here's a great comparison video that takes the audio clips of various speakers from Jensen's website and plays the same passages back-to-back for a direct comparison between Jensen's 10 inch speakers. This video is the "rock" tone, but he did the same thing for the other tones on Jensen's website.

I agree that some of these Jensen's sound great and are definitely worth a look. And as luck would have it, my two favourites from this clip are the two most expensive ones!

PantherTy likes this.
  13. hazmat7719

hazmat7719 Active Member

I have two Lead 12 stacks. I put JBL K110-16's in one and JBL E110-16's in the other.

14. PantherTy

PantherTy New Member

Ok so the p10q sounded great! And is the sound I am after, of course it sits right in celestion price range. None of the others did much for me except maybe the tornado 10, and it is more expensive than the p10q which I favored more anyway.
    So with the p10q reference in mind, any suggestions on which celestion i should go with or should i just pull the trigger on a pair of the p10q's :hmm: ...decisions decisions
    thanks for all the help guys!

15. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Member

Yup, those are the two I liked best too. Although it wasn't included in the video, I also liked the sound of the Jensen 10" Electric Lightning from clips on Jensen's site and it costs just over half the price of the other two.

I'm not in any hurry, so I'll wait until I hear about people's experiences with the new G10 Creamback before deciding on anything.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you may want to check for clearance (especially in the upper cabinet) if you do decide on the P10Q as alnico speakers are generally deeper than ceramic speakers.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and PantherTy like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

I'd go for whatever sounds greenback'ish. Whatever is cheaper but gets you there.

stringtree and PantherTy like this.
  17. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

What style of music do you play....

:welcome: to the forum Panther Ty! :dude:

18. PantherTy

PantherTy New Member

I play your typical 70s and 80s rock, the bread and butter of guitar if you will Haha But I'm a big alice in chains, temple of the dog, soundgarden fan, that 90s Seattle stuff. I'm into creed, tool, shinedown. Really a lil bit of anything, just recently started playing like mellow house music kind of stuff think of like "two feet".
    I also have a line 6 Amplifi 150 (am I allowed to say that on here haha) so just wanting this lead stack to have that typical rock n roll vibe about it.

19. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

I put WGS Retro 10 in my Lead 12 cabs. They're a couple of old 80s cabs, still made of birch. They're pretty bass heavy cabs.

The Retro are voiced kind of like a V30. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the ET10. The Retro sound good, you just have to open them up... and they're 65 watts. So... they get really loud.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's a guy on the Facebook forum, that recut the speaker holes, and shoved 12" in there. Posted pics and everything.

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:welcome: To the forum, love that white mini stack, I like the green backs, but it is your ears that need to make the decision! Cheers Mitch