Late 70's Strats??

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by MK333, Mar 16, 2019.

1. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Remember when guitars came with their cases..... I liked those days! :dude:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

my 78 strat had 4 bolts , I know cause I learnt loads with that guitar , putting a tele neck on it , painting the body, and eventually I changed pickups to Seymore Duncan and swopped it for a tele, and that's how I kept the 78 level coil pickups and in the neck position or the middle or even better (my favourite position)inbetween the two they sound great, and this guitar came with a decent case that I still have

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  3. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

If it did from the factory it would have been a '79 25th anniversary model. Pix?

RLW59 likes this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Good solid Japanese replicas started in the EARLY 70s though

By the late 70s they were into originals and had high end stuff with prices that rivalled Gibson

RLW59 likes this.
  5. slide222

well I still have the pickups and they clearly say 78 on the back side, it had a maple neck and wood body with black pick guard , and it was brought from john savage drum/music shop in kingslynn , uk and as I said earlier this guitar left me many many years ago,but I kept the pickups , and it was just a standard strat

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  6. Wildeman

Did it look like this? Screenshot_2019-03-20-03-19-08-1.png

7. slide222

I just said it was a standard strat with a maple neck and wood body , not painted not special and very standard with 4 bolts holding on the neck

8. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Well, there are a bunch of Japanese companies, with different timelines and different products.

Early/mid '70s Ibanez started copying then-current Gibsons and Fenders. They never ever did vintage replicas. When the American lawyers started sending them letters, they first changed their headstocks, then started making originals.

Greco and Burny started making vintage replicas in the mid '70s, but with inaccuracies like oversize inlays and shallow top carves.

The watershed was '78, with Tokai's "Les Paul Reborn" and "Springy Sound" Strats. The others upped their games shortly thereafter.

The "Golden Age" for MIJ replicas is '78~'85.
    ----------------------
    None of the great MIJ vintage replicas were ever distributed in the US*. So most people think "Ibanez" when they think "70s MIJ". But Ibanez isn't even part of the MIJ Golden Age. Their copies were good, solid guitars -- but they were second-tier in the Japanese hierarchy. (They grew into a top-tier world-class company with their original designs.)
    -----------------------
    *None of them were distributed under their own names in the US. Fender has sold Fuji-gens and Tokais with Fender decals. Gibson has sold MIJ Elitists.

The Golden Age companies didn't switch to original designs. Some of them have offered a few originals alongside their replicas, but they still building replicas.

jimmyjames and stringtree like this.
  9. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

18 yrs old ,1981
    Morley wah, chukka boots ,wristwatch, ACE STRAP !!
    There's actually a better photo of the guitar around 1992, but my x wife is playin it .....

[​IMG]

Re-fin'd 72 body ,which I traded my high school '79 body for ....with Allparts fat neck with my name stamped in the headstock ....THX EVH

[​IMG]

FYI, Danelectro was using the tilt neck in '67

10. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Please don't get mad about these questions.

Published sources agree with my memory -- the 4-bolt first returned on the '79 25th Anniversary, a year or two later on the regular Strat.

But Fender has always done weird overlaps when changing specs. So it's possible you had a regular '79 4-bolt.

We're just asking because you seem to be implying that it was normal and all '79s were like that. They weren't -- you had something special.
    ----------------------
    And personally, my memory has gotten a bit hazy on guitars that I owned decades ago.

Did my '75 Fender case have red, orange, or gold lining? Damned if I can remember for sure. I know it wasn't black.

I think that '75 had the original neck pocket shape, rather than the modern one that bulges out at the corners. Wouldn't bet money on it though.

I remember it as having staggered poles. Again, wouldn't bet money.

11. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

:dude:

But Dano using the tilt-neck is kinda my point. Dano's are all about cheap. That's what makes them charming and cool.

Masonite body and a crude bridge? A neck joint expressly designed to minimize factory assembly time is completely in spirit with that design.

There's a fine line between "more bang for the buck" and "cheapening out".

If CBS had reduced assemble cost by improving their woodcutting and finishing so that fewer of the guitars needed shims, that would have been "more bang for the buck".

But instead, they embraced the suck. Adopted a system used by the lowest end manufacturers to let them get even sloppier with the neck joints. That's "cheapening out".
    ------------------------------
    I'm firm in calling out CBS/Norlin design & build philosophies. Because it wasn't a mass hallucination that gave them their reputation, that gave birth to boutique builders, the aftermarket, the vintage market, and came very close to putting both companies out of business. They truly are Fender's and Gibson's lowest periods. There are good reasons SRV endorsed Tokai and not CBS.

But I'm not calling them crappy guitars. They're Gibsons and Fenders. They're still top-tier guitars. And if something about them calls to you, they're perfectly valid choices.

12. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Pssst.... Greco = Ibanez (=Antoria = Westminster etc), they shared a catalog of F&G replicas and derivatives from the early 70s --- the so-called "lawsuit guitars" --- until Ibanez rolled out their own originals and started investing heavily in brand building in the late 70s early 80s

jimmyjames and stringtree like this.
  13. Wildeman

Believe it or not ALL Strats have "maple necks and wood bodies". This is lame....bye bye.

14. slide222

wood bodies means no paint , and maple neck is also an unpainted wooden part , but I am really sorry if my first usa strat wasn't according to your specs ,plz do not insult me , if you can't be nice don't be anything, and wildeman ,you have become very annoying

15. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

78 Hardtail - pretty heavy compared to my EC. It still holds it own.
    image2.jpeg

16. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

This pic is from an ebay listing, suddenly i have no concern how many bolts are in this thing :D

[​IMG]

17. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

There's a G-string missing, talk about shoddy!

Mitchell Pearrow and anitoli like this.
  18. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Double checked. My main reference says that the 25th Anniversary was the first return of the 4-bolt, but "BY 1980 all Strats got the 4-bolt".

Which implies that it was phased in sometime during mid/late '79.

So your guitar wouldn't have been some freaky oddity. Nor super rare, but not common either, and pretty special -- one of the first.

Mitchell Pearrow and slide222 like this.
  19. stringbender11

stringbender11 Member

I agree with the people that think the CBS Strats were mostly junk. I had a '79 (3 bolt neck) for a while and it was HEAVY, and fit and finish were pretty poor, honestly. In fact all the other ones I've seen from that era at 2nd hand shops have been the same way.
    Modern Strats absolutely blow those CBS versions away, imo. Sh*t a nice Squier these days is much better made and sounds a whole lot better than those late 70's versions. I'd bet the only really high quality guitars Fender made back then were the ones they gave to rock star types who endorsed them..

20. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Great thread

I had a 1979 and 1974. Great guitars but I like my 2006 American Standard and all three Custom Shop strats a lot better.

The 79 was a heavy guitar. It’s heavier than my Les Paul Custom. It was a good guitar that got the job done. Tones were typical strat. But I never had a guitar- orgasm. It was pro grade but not a stand out. It was black with a white pickguard. All original.

The 74 was a former battle horse. Mojo on steroids. I could still smell the smoke from bars in the wood. This one was Tobacco Sunburst. All original minus middle pickup. Again, great guitar but not nearly as good as my others.

Vintage strats are a tricky buy. Much more challenging than a vintage Les Paul. So many of them have had parts swapped, necks changed, mods, dumb mods - that it’s tricky. I’ve been really happy with the Custom Shop strats which play at least 100 % better than the vintage guitars I’ve played. Al the American standards and American vintage reissues are fabulous specimens. My number one inspiration, Blackmore, made iconic tunes and blew the roof of many arenas with 70s
    strats. If something inspires you grab it but buying a vintage strat is something I would be very cautious about.