Late 70's Strats??

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by MK333, Mar 16, 2019.

1. MK333

MK333 Active Member

So why are these late 70's strats not catching on? Yes they re almost 10 lbs and have a headstock that will surely catch any stranded beverage left unattended lol but wow they sure have monster tone.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

People dig them okay, they held their value. Personally i think there are better new Strats for less money......that don't weigh 10 lbs and look dipped in a vat of poly.

Deep Purple fan, stringtree and MK333 like this.
  3. MK333

MK333 Active Member

Did they overspray the bodies in the late 70's? I am honestly new to learning all the specs of these cbs strats. From what I know some are alder and some are ash but I geuss if they apply a thick layer of laquer that must take away from the tone? Are there better years than others?

stringtree likes this.
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Some were solid rock maple bodies as well. Yes those axes were nice, heavy but that depends on what you are looking for tone wise. I never felt light guitars delivered and i still don't especially with stock Fender pups, you want some heft to balance out the twang.

5. MK333

MK333 Active Member

I just dont find the newer strats have that nostalgic tone/feeling/look.

stringtree likes this.
  6. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Have you played the new Fender Player Series Stratocasters... Amazing tone and feel.

Other than the trem being a 2 point than a 6 hole, I don't see that much is lost. I am no aficionado, maybe if I seen the new next to the old I would see what your saying.

The way you word your post, "So why are these late 70's strats not catching on?" is there a source that is selling them..help me to understand what I am missing..

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  7. MK333

MK333 Active Member

Yes sorry thats a little vague stringtree, just thought the price of these would start moving up the older they get. A 40 yr old strat is the same price as a new one. I have played a few newer ones and yes they sound incredible, think I m just a vintage snob so there for my brain is already wired to thinking old sounds better. Seeing how the folk around here feels for them

stringtree likes this.
  8. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I love the CBS styling but I've just not been too impressed with any '70s one's i've met. I considered a '73 or 4 that was hanging in a pawn for $1400.00 and was not too heavy, natural ash body and somebody modded it to a 4 screw neck but then i found this..... Made in Mexico '13 Roadhouse Deluxe, killer CBS look and a wayyyyyy better guitar for less than half the money, it was not a tough decision for me. 20181215_125929.jpg

9. stringtree

Yea, I really like the big CBS headstocks much better than the small ones! :dude:

10. stringtree

Yea, the way you worded it, I thought there was a stash somewhere I didn't know about..LOL

Your not a snob. When you experience something in a guitar your playing, it changes you. It becomes part of your perception and interpretation of tone. One can't ignore it.

Mitchell Pearrow and MK333 like this.
  11. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    My now, long gone '79 was an ok player and didn't weigh so much once all the poly and resin fell off. It sounded great clean but wasn't so hot with a driven amp.
    I have a '99 now that is a way more rounded guitar. better player, thanks to the bigger neck radius, lovely chimey Strat cleans and a monster through a driven amp. Sounds amazing through my Astoria Dual's OD channel.

12. stringtree

Great point about the bigger neck radius! :dude:
    I'll add the shape of the neck also contributes to a more meatier type tone. Can't forget the finish too. A Lacquered neck has a nice mid type quack to the tone.

All things that are opposite for a shredding guitar style type neck. I dig em all..:metal:

13. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I still have two 70's Strats..A '74 and a '75, and they both sound great! But having said that, I have to add that they both have newer pickups and reissue vintage trems on them.

The 70's Strats tended to have weak pickups, along with crappy cast pot-metal trems and saddles, and I've never thought the three-bolt necks were a great improvement over a four bolt. 70's Strats are IMHO ridiculously overpriced these days, just because a guitar is "vintage" doesn't necessarily mean it's a good instrument!

To anyone considering buying one I would recommend looking at something like a custom shop Strat, or even a Mexican Strat. I've seen some of the Mexicastors that played and sounded almost as good as a vintage Strat..And as far as what I've been seeing in regards to current prices of Strats from the 70's, I imagine one can score a CS for about the same amount of $$.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  14. MK333

MK333 Active Member

I am starting to see why they have not taken off in terms of price. Thanks for improving my knowledge once again everyone.

stringtree likes this.
  15. stringtree

I think I'm with you DaDoc, and what you just described, I would go for the current ones.

I stand by my above comment..Fender Player Series Stratocasters imo, have amazing tone and feel.

At least worth kicking the tires on one, and see for ones self.......

MK333 and DaDoc like this.
  16. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I love vintage guitars, but the newer Strats are great guitars! I have the two 70's Strats, along with a mid-80's '62 reissue and an original '63, but I would love to have a CS with a maple neck..I'm going to have to check out the Player Series.

17. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I love the 78 pickups

stringtree and DaDoc like this.
  18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Best strat around for ~$1k is an ESP Vintage Plus (used)

Then late 80s through modern Americans with upgraded or stock Fender CS pups

Then MIJ Fender/Squier with upgrades

70's? Hell, nobody wanted them even when they were cheap

19. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

They weren't terrible, they just weren't as good as the ones from the 50's and 60's. So in the know players would seek out the old ones, which at the time were just considered "used guitars" and could be had for cheaper prices than the new (70's era) ones. Same deal with Gibsons, Les Pauls in particular.

I wasn't one of the smart crowd, just a dumbass beginner player at the time..So I was one of the guys who would be buying up the newer stuff. If I had only known..:facepalm:

20. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

The stock pickups in my '74 sounded good tone-wise, just underpowered. But they did have staggered poles. Now the pickups in my '75 had flat poles, and they just plain sucked! I have to admit I haven't had much experience with the later 70's pickups, they may have gotten better by then.

I wound up putting CS 57/62's in the 75, really nice for clean stuff, but can still rock out when cranked..The '74 now has a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots, which are also some killer pickups!

stringtree likes this.