KISS, Biggest Overrated Band Ever

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by chromeboy, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

I guess. I think I wanna see a band PERFORM live when I go, not stand there and be great musicians necessarily. You pay good money I want a show!!

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Regardless of how they are perceived now, they brought a new thing to the music world which was called entertainment. People were tired of the brain heavy political protest music from the Vietnam era and just wanted to have a good time for once, put the war away. They represented everything America stood for in their show which was bigger, better, louder and more sensational. They made music exciting again.

3. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Well hell yeah! Live should always include some showmanship, agreed. But I didn't think the OP was necessarily talking about that here but more about Kiss as a music band in general. I guess that could be another topic altogether (best live bands/shows...which of course, you'd have to mention Kiss, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc).

4. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Active Member

Also, I think Kiss made rock and roll popular in a time ruled by disco music. Their numbers was huge, so their influence on all of those 70s and 80s kids is spetacular. As very well pointed above: they made dime grab a guitar, also paul gilbert and many others.

5. Derek S

I have a picture shaking Gilberts hand...he's wearing a Kiss t-shirt!

6. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Active Member

he use to say that his first inspiration was ace frehley, and he could only down pick the guitar by the age of 7 or something like this.

Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.
  7. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

garth brooks says kiss and ACE were his biggest influences

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Member

Try and note the music of the times. Saturday Night Fever, disco music and new wave were what most were digesting. Then comes Detroit Rock City and bamm, knocked a hole in the wall of all of that.

Whether you rate them per instrument, per lick, per 12 inch space boot is not the point.

Putting something together that competes with the status quo is to be commended.

Typical, when musos start to pick things apart and start looking at the wrong parts.

[​IMG]

9. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Are you fuckin kiddin me ?
    Great songs , riffs , singing , tone
    It's called ROCK N ROLL ,man !
    not a bunch of posey wheedelee over-gained up bullshit(ok ,Paul was a little pose-y, but he wrote the shit to back it up )

I was listenin to some live KISS the other day drivin from Oakland to LA....and I thought ,Id rather listen to vintage ACE than EVH anyday

Ace played his ass off

Get yer grandma out here !!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Kim Lucky Day, blues, anitoli and 7 others like this.
  10. Dblgun

Dblgun Member

Listened to them as a kid in the 70's, thought they were great. The make-up and costumes along with the stage show were super cool to a kid at the time. It did not take me long to figure out musically they were limited. Gene was/is a marketing genius though. I recently read an interview with Ace who honestly thinks that his playing was/is fantastic which I found humorous since in the next sentence he mentioned RUSH opening for them. I can't imagine being impressed musically with KISS after Lifeson, Peart and Lee got done but Rock n Roll is often more about the show and that is what KISS did well.

11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

No they were not overrated.
    I saw them w/ Alice, Mott the Hopple, Styx, Gary Wright, ZZ Top, etc and they played a good show.
    I have seen Kiss about 6 times and they were a fun party band. I had a good time.

The "Kiss" now days sucks FYI they are nothing like the real Kiss.

You didn't like Peter Chris "then?"
    Or you don't like the drummer "now?"
    Peter was playing OK for that type band when I saw Kiss.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Active Member

My dad was in the business of churning out 8 track tapes of all the popular artists up until that time- we had hundreds of tapes in the house and the totally epic new Quadrophonic system. And bean bag chairs. So by the 4th grade I was heavily entrenched in Zeppelin, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Sabbath, and also Larry Coryell, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc. So when my friends were all stoked out of their minds about KISS, all I could think was "you've got to be fucking kidding me" (my dad grew up in Brooklyn, I started cursing early, too).

13. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Kiss was never an eclectic art-sy band, they were just a rock & roll party band.

netlocal and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Alvis pretty much said it all :yesway: I've owned Ace's '78 solo album, in various formats (now I spin vinyl- could only find a picture disc :lol:) for 40 years. Still listen to it, his vocals and playing personified the smartarse street punk who bluntly asserted himself at his audition for the band. Would've kicked arse in any rock band, he was smart enough to see that the costume/makeup/pyro show gimmick was a sure-fire way to the big time. Many guitarists mocked him and still do, and probably scraped together crummy short-lived gigs, getting screwed over in the process. Love the Ace :cool:

AlvisX likes this.
  15. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Active Member

I remember hearing Leonard Haze of YnT on the radio in the early 80's say that AC/DC was the worlds greatest rock and roll band. I had no idea what he was talking about, but now, 30+years later I do. KISS ain't AC/DC tho.

16. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Young/Young/Scott=untouchable.

17. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

The Beatles are the most overrated band ever. They were a pop boy-band that got strung out then broke up. Lennon was the talent. Kiss were a decent rock band with a gimmick, an amazing live show, and later just turned into more of a marketing machine than a band. They sold out when they made their disco album. Still rather listen to old kiss than the Beatles any day.

Jethro Rocker and jimmyjames like this.
  18. Derek S

Similar experience. My dad was a lead guitar player/singer and basically a music junkie, he was big time into Deep Purple, Cream, The Who, Yardbirds, Bad Co, The Eagles (he was an aspiring singer and always said their harmonies were great), etc during the 60's and 70's and of course I grew up hearing that music second hand from him...I have a memory of him stating "they stink" once referring to Kiss. But hey, like they say, it's all personal preference/subjective, everyone likes what they like.

19. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

No. I loved Ace's playing and tone. Fun band with catchy songs. Colorforms, lunch boxes, and Phantom of the Park ... what's not to love? I was a kid in heaven w/Kiss.

20. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Kiss was pre-disco...

oh wait - Kiss was disco... :)...