Kemper Or Marshall Jcm 800??

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Mike082377, Oct 9, 2018.

1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

There are many ways to use a modeler (or profiler). Some approaches, like going modeler (or profiler)>tube power amp>guitar cab, will limit flexibility (in that configuration), but result in a sound closer to that of an amp into a guitar cab. Some users are after that, and it works for them. Others (like myself) want the full flexibility of the system, which requires an accurate power amp and cab (Full Range, Flat Response). Using this approach, you will not get the "amp in the room" result, but you will get a result which accurately represents the amp/cab models. With the latter approach, you are after the "mic'd cab sound", not the "amp in the room" sound. They are different, one just has to go the direction that makes them happy. I've hooked my Fractal up with those 2 approaches running in parallel (SS power amp driving 2 4x12's, in tandem with direct to 2 powered FRFR cabs). The signal driving the 4x12's had power amp modeling turned on, but cab modeling bypassed. The signal driving the powered FRFR cabs had both power amp and cab modeling enabled. While that setup sounded huge, it was primarily for self indulgence, and would not be practical to take back and forth to practice. The modeler>powered FRFR 1x12 cab gives me the full flexibility of the system, in a small footprint, which is easy to transport. That small setup, with it's wide dispersion cab, will out perform a 100 watt halfstack (I've used both).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. texhex

texhex Well-Known Member

This guy knows what's up. You can easily get a high quality modeler to sound very good through a real speaker cab using a dedicated power amp (amp in the room for days). You can also get the same modeler to sound very good through FRFR using the same power amp (amp in the studio sound for days).

If you haven't played one through a dedicated power amp and into a real speaker cab and you think that modern high quality modelers can't/don't sound and feel like real tube amps or can't/don't do a certain type of music or tone, you don't know what you are talking about.

3. Mike082377

Mike082377 Active Member

Which FRFR 1x12 cab are you using with your Fractal?

4. marshallmellowed

Active CLR wedge (Atomic Amps). I use 2 at home (full stereo), but only need one at practice.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  5. Mike082377

Mike082377 Active Member

I have heard great things about these speakers. Thanks buddy!

6. marshallmellowed

You bet., they kick ass. I tried a butt load of active monitors, before settling on the CLR. A little pricey, but worth every penny (IMO).

7. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Lots of opinions here, and even though digital has passed the point that I can tell the difference sonically, for me nothing beats sitting down with a real amp that has 'that sound' that pulls the music out of you. With anything digital, it gets really easy to start tweaking and then you lose the essence of the gear it's mimicking, and with that you lose the relationship between you and the gear. It's psychological.. with an amp you can plug in and it sounds like that amp no matter how you twist the knobs.

Having said that, kemper is pretty damn ideal for touring scenarios. Fuck dragging an amp around for that when you have a team of people taking care of all the bullshit.

LyseFar and John BNY like this.
  8. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

my problem with those devices is when they break down...
    if my marshalls break I know how to fix them myself...the last time an amp tech send me home was when my 6100 broke down...i think a kemper is a little more complicated inside. who the hell services these devises? after the warranty time is past I mean...

9. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

I've played through a Kemper, and they are excellent amps. The question really is how you use your amp. If you like the idea of having access to an infinite number of tones, then Kemper is for you. I'm a simple guy who needs a handful of tones (clean, edge of breakup, OD, heavy OD, boost), and once I find an amp that can offer those tones (JVM), I set my knobs to achieve the tones I need and don't deviate. So, for me, the functionality of a Kemper would just go to waste.

I had thought the OP had his set of tones he likes, which were very similar to what the JCM 800 offers. Plus, he liked the idea of having a piece of rock history. My thinking is, if the OP is not going to be playing around with a multitude of different amp tones, why not get the JCM 800?

10. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

I had some time to play a bit today and decided to crank the 800 2204 half, 75s in the 800 60a. Fantastic amp, I forgot just how good it sounds. I was playing the Firebird into the SLP, 69 1987 and 2204. Crazy loud altogether, but the tones from each mixed is really a great setup. I'd like to try a Kemper some day but I'm completely satisfied with the gear I use now. I don't think you'd be disappointed switching to a JCM 800..

LyseFar and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

It seems to me a lot of people still have this stigma regarding digital or modeling or profiling.

It's like..... omg I have no self control to not adjust everything to the point it sounds like shit so in turn I conclude it cant do what I want it to do so I'll dismiss it and just "go back" a real amp.

Guess what though. Digital is real. It's just different. The end result should be a question of if it sounds and feels good, not if it's an exact carbon copy of something else. Yes it's a model of "xyz" but it's also it's own unique thing and if treated as such it really is superior in almost every way.

Why is there updates? Because its software. Code can be improved, and adapted, as it's all about utilizing the resources efficiently, because we are also doing a lot more "in the box" than just an amp model & cab IR.

We have the entire pedal board of effects, plus complete midi control in real time over everything. This requires a huge amount of processing power, and finally in this day and age we have that ability. So code gets refined giving the end user more ability and more control.

Guess what though? You dont have to use it just because its available.

Now, if you want a jcm800 100 watt head and full stack flapping your pant legs in the wind out of a digital model, you need a full stack of cabs and a poweramp capable of pushing them, it's really as simple as that.

However far too often we get those playing through 8" powered studio monitors or z single 12 inch full range wedge and then comparing this to a full stack (8 x 12 inch guitar speakers built in a box designed to push air) and coming to the conclusion digital can't do it for example.

Come on..... for real?

12. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

People get too emotional about this stuff

13. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    I
    love
    valves aka tubes, but...
    when I grow up, I am going to get
    A Kemper Profiling Amp...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  14. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

you know what's the real hilarity?

People wanting a killer Marshall or Mesa for it's tone, then neutering it only to run all their sound through an effects board.

I've known many people who have been through that & they'll tell you:

"the amp really doesn't matter"

because everything is found in the pedals. Their sound changes from night to night, it's not really a signature tone, it's just whatever the flavor of the day/night is.

But, if they are sponsored by a specific amp, you know they'll talk it up as if it's their tone monster... :)...

15. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Give Mooers preamp live a look , will save you over a grand on a Kemper at $400 .

Nik Henville likes this.
  16. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Are
    you people
    insane. That post should
    have been in purple, I am guessing...

I have a Marshall 4145 Club & Country from 1978 - why would I want anything else ?

Goes from a whisper to window shattering loud. 4x10 open back with the option of 4x12 closed back if required. All the tones involving dirt and drive can be dialed in using my SD-1 Sidecar germanium, Maritime Analog Pistol Slapper, Visual Sound Route 66 and my Schaller RotorSound - more extreme modulations are available in the form of a Small Stone modded to Univibe spec, and a Leslie 18 loaded with a growling Fane Crescendo 12" from 1972.

I started out in the sixties with a plexi JTM-45, went full circle several times through another JTM45 Lead head, a JTM 100 Super PA, a Bassman brown face head, a Selmer Zodiac Twin Fifty Truevoice, a WEM Dominator and a few other I forget - not to mention some (naff...) solid-state stuff. I've had digital units from Eventide, Line6, Digitech, Yamaha and Boss. I keep asking myself... why do all the modern "modellers", "profilers", "emulators" etc try to recreate the old valve amps and analogue effects. Then I remember. Because they sound better than the modern digital stuff.
    :cool: Your mileage may vary :agreed:

17. plexilespaul

again I ask...when shit hits the fan who is fixing those digital devices? I really ask...after the warranty is through.

MarshallDog and Nik Henville like this.
  18. mikebinthesky

mikebinthesky Member

Dude you just got the green light for one of the greatest amps ever made-dont delay

19. marshallmellowed

Well, if you're that interested. I'm in the Fractal camp, so I cannot speak for the Kemper. Fractal is U.S. made, by a small company. They offer excellent customer support, with a special section on their website for entering service tickets, in the event a unit develops issues. The Axe Fx units have been proven to be very reliable, and I personally have never had an issue with mine. Having said that, like any other piece of equipment, the possibility is always there. My background is in electronics, so I would most likely order the necessary parts direct from Fractal and repair my own, if it were to ever develop a problem. Others would simply enter a service ticket and either do the same, or send their unit to Fractal for repair. Bottom line, dedicated Fractal support is there for the customers, which says a lot in itself these days. If anyone relying on any piece of equipment for gigging doesn't keep a backup rig, which you should have whether you're using an amp or a modeler, then that's their own poor planning.

20. plexilespaul

marshallmellowed ...
    thanks so as I understand it the model of repair is different...the people who can service those devices are most likely the people who build them...
    good to know.

Nik Henville likes this.