Kemper or Axe FX II+

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by HAmmer, Sep 29, 2015.

1. HAmmer

HAmmer Active Member

Kemper or Axe FX II+

Your choice and why

thx

2. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I didn't like how the Kemper looked so I bought the Axe FX II.

3. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

a guy i work with played me a demo of a couple of songs he recorded. the tone was excellent...while im listening im thinking to myself...'i hope this isnt a modeller' cuz i wanted to pick his brain on his micing etc...

it was eleven rack. classic lower gain marshall tones all day...it sounded really good.

HAmmer likes this.
  4. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Polls People!

5. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I use axe fx now. I like the aesthetic and function better but kemper's just as good. I like the powered option so I'll own one for live work one day. If I could only get one I would go axe fx, in fact I did lol. My tracks are all axe fx. I'm going to do some new stuff soon, got tones I want to use lol.

HAmmer likes this.
  6. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Axe Fx.

With the Kemper you're at the mercy of the person doing the original profile and less tweakability there after.

Axe Fx II XL+ with the lastest firmware is supposed to be equal if not better in feel and tone than the Kemper now.

7. jem7sk

jem7sk New Member

I hear BIAS FX is a contender with these two... Maybe even better. The desktop version can do profiling just like the Kemper

8. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah I just downloaded the quantum update and it's unreal, you can now pick preamp and power tubes. That's just one new aspect.

HAmmer and blues_n_cues like this.
  9. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Kemper. Because menu within menu within menu is too keyboardesque. After using lots of units from the Digitech 2101 upwards, it was nice to finally have a great unit, that offers a guitarists environment to work with rather than a techno synth environment.

10. HAmmer

HAmmer Active Member

Some excellent comments, thx
    Looks like im going to have a tough decision

11. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I think someone said it best when they said the Kemper looks like R2-D2 made love to a toaster.

12. Australian

Yeah the Kemper is different, but the AExeFX is pretty much the Digitech 2101 with different insides. Its a safe design.
    I think the Kemper rack unit looks great! But the toaster version is fugly as.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  13. HAmmer

HAmmer Active Member

how are the kemper units with the built in powers amp?
    i dont really plan on making any amp profiles i just want a big selection of amp and cab models

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProfilePwrRk

14. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

i went with the Ax , I choose having not played both . I based my choice on the fact that the general feeling I picked up on is that kempler is better for DI but Ax is better for a workhorse player,

I must say after two weeks i am still amazed at the quality of amp sims on tap with Ax ,

I honestly believe that at this point it is a matter of ascetics . both have weakness but are growing and improving very quickly ,

My pick is get the AX because of the integrated foot pedal as well as the seriously deep tone shaping options offered ,

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

The Kemper is actually quite tweakable, it just doesn't get as much attention as the Fractal does for that stuff. There are a number of parameters you can mess with that can keep you busy for weeks if that's what you want to do. You can take an existing profile and turn it into something completely different, and with over 6,000 free profiles on the rig exchange online (and hundreds of commercial profiles), you have access to just about any base tone you could possibly want.

The biggest weakness the KPA has against the Fractal is in the effects and routing side of things. The effects in the Kemper cover all of the most often-used ones, and they're very good quality, but nowhere near as vast as the offerings on the Axe-FX.

16. Mosher Zone

Mosher Zone Well-Known Member

I always wondered about that, is it just a case of recording the amp of your choice then you can't adjust the tone after that cause what if you want a bit treble or less bass etc. :hmm:

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Not at all. You can adjust the gain, bass/mids/treble/presence just like a regular amp, but you have a bunch of other parameters that you can play with as well to adjust the feel/response and tone of each profile. Definition, clarity, sag, bias, pick attack, and other stuff. I don't have mine fired up right now to list all of the parameters, but there's a bunch of them. You can get great clean sounds out of profiles that were originally high gain, and vice-versa.

Mosher Zone likes this.
  18. Australian

You've got four big knobs under the display screen. They are Bass-Middle-Treble-Presence just like on a real amp. There is also a gain knob on the front panel. Lets say you have a Fender profile and want to give it a bit of edge or less, this gain sounds as if you were turning a gain knob on a real amp rather than adding gain from an OD pedal.
    There are those and other instant access tweaks, and then there are menus .

Mosher Zone likes this.
  19. snark

snark Active Member

I went with the Kemper Rack.. I think the sound quality of good samples was superior to the AXE... Lots of Parameters that are adjustable too. I coupled it with a Liquidfoot Midi foot controller and it gives me great results in studio and live..

diesect20022000 likes this.
  20. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

OT but can you run a kemper thru a few 4x12s and have it sound just like the head that its profiling?