JVMC212 opinions please

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Gyroman, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Gyroman

Gyroman Member

Hi all, does anyone own or have experience with the Marshall JVMC212 extension cab? Basically I would like an extension cab for my Marshall JCM800 4210 combo (50watt 2x EL34) that allows me to use the internal speaker in conjunction with the extension cab. I emailed Marshall and this is the one they recommended, however I'd like to hear some opinions of the sound and reliability before I splash the cash.

I'll be playing mostly punk/oi! although I will also be straying into blues/rock territory as and when the opportunity arises.

I'm also open to suggestions of other 16 ohm 2X12 cabs as long as they are readily available here in the UK.

Thanks for any advice, now it's over to you...

2. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of Avatar 2x12 cabs. You choose the speakers, the grill-cloth, and the color of the tolex. Built like a tank, and they sound great.

I'm running my JVM210H through one with a Celestion G12T-75 and a Classic Lead 80. I love it. My rhythm guitar player just plugged his Mesa Tremoverb into his new Avatar 2x12, and he's pretty psyched with it so far too.

Their FAQ says that they'll work with a freight forwarder like shopUSA.com to get to other countries. Not sure what that costs, because they just sent mine to the lower 48.

3. Gyroman

Gyroman Member

Thanks for the prompt reply gunboatstudio. To be honest I'd prefer to buy something locally as I'd have the chance to buy second hand; and also it would be much easier to return the cab if it proved to be unsuitable or faulty. I appreciate your taking the time to reply though.

4. Gain Man

Gain Man Member

My thought would be a Marshall 1922 cab. Sizewise they were designed to be extension cabs for 2x12 combos.

5. Gyroman

Gyroman Member

The problem with the 1922 is that I wouldn't be able to run it in conjunction with the internal speaker of the 4210 because it only runs at 16 ohms in stereo mode. In mono mode it runs at 8 ohms which wouldn't be compatible with the 16 ohm speaker in the 4210. I can't consider a 1936 cab for the same reason. Again, thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

6. gunboatstudio

gunboatstudio New Member

Ah... If you're looking to buy second-hand locally, then I'm not sure how much helpful our suggestions are going to be. What's available?

You could always get whatever cab is available nearby, and then buy speakers with the correct load on eBay and swap them in. If you something doesn't work, then you can swap them back and return the cab.

Sorry. I'm reaching here.

7. Gyroman

Gyroman Member

As I said in the OP the JVMC212 is the one recommended by Marshall; I was just wondering if anyone who has had one could tell me their opinions of it in terms of sound, reliability and overall build quality. I'd prefer to buy s/h if possible but would buy new if it came to it. Other options would include the Orange PPC212 or perhaps a Blackstar equivalent; although I like the idea of the one heritage and one vintage speaker set up in the Marshall.

Thanks for trying though: it's nice that someone tries to help rather than the thread being ignored.:thumb:

8. Dave666

Dave666 Well-Known Member

The JVMC212 will do the trick perfect, but it's only your ears that will have an honest opinion, what's good for me doesn't have to be good for you
    The Orange PPC212, which is closed back, sounds heavier than the Marshall cab (open back). The JVMC212 has an open back, but there's an Orange cab with open back available to....

9. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

They are made from Birch Ply, and have the same speakers as I have in my JVM 410c ( Heritage and Vintage speaker).
    I like this combination alot. I give it the thumbs up- a quality cab and certainly not made from mdf.
    The 410c is basically the same, so I'm basing my comments on that rather than the extension cab which i have never heard. but i did research the cab extensively when I was going to buy one, and they are strong like the JVM. And its quality cab, dont be concerned about it being cheaply made-its not.

10. Gyroman

Gyroman Member

Thanks for the input Dave and Australian. I'm glad it's not cheaply made cos it sure ain't cheap to buy! :lol:

11. Dave666

Dave666 Well-Known Member

The 'TSLC212' cab by Marshall is the exact same cab. They just changed the nameplate for the JVM.
    Maybe you can find one of those second hand, which should be a lot cheaper

12. Gyroman

Gyroman Member

Well chaps, I took a chance and just won one from ebay. My winning bid was £205, which considering they go for round about £375 and upwards new I think is a reasonable price. The buy it now was £275 so I'm glad I waited. The seller has a very good feedback rating so I'm confident that his description of the cab is fairly accurate. Another plus to buying second hand is that the speakers are more likely to be nicely broken in so it should be sounding pretty good. All I have to do now is wait for it to be delivered.

Once again thanks for the suggestions, and in Australian's case the recommendation.:thumb:

13. prolik

prolik New Member

Does anyone really know which "HERITAGE" speaker is in JVMc212 cabinet, or 410/205 combo. Same one is labeled in TSLc212 cabinet?

14. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Celestion wont disclose what it is exactly, but to cut a long story short, it seems Heritage G12-65 is the speaker used, even if specially designed in some way for Marshall. I measured the Heritage magnet in my 410c and it is identical to my Rola G12-65's.

15. aryan

aryan Member

Hello all sorry to bring this topic again but I think is the correct way to use the forum instead to create another one to discuss the same subject. So I have aJCM2000 tsl122 and I bought a new JVM410H so I would like to order a cabinet with 2 speakers. The JVMC212 is it a really good option? I red here above the tslc212 and someone said is the same model of jvmc212 which make me confidente because I love my model JCM2000 tsl. But there are so many cabinets and looks like the jvmc is not so good according to other comments here. So I’m a little bit confused because I really like my jcm2000 combo but I don’t know if the combination of the speakers heritage x vintage creates the sound that I love... that’s why I’m looking for the same combination with jvmc...

16. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Be aware that the C212 is only 27-inches wide so the full size 410H head will over hang it a little bit if you plan on placing it on top. You might not mind that but, many people do. It is also open backed.

I would probably prefer the full width, closed back, 1936V with G12 Vintage speakers with a JVM, but you might prefer the open back response. Only by test driving different speakers will tell you what you like as far as speaker types. The Vintage/Heritage speaker combination in the C212 is going for the Vintage 30/other speaker mix type of sound.

aryan likes this.
  17. aryan

aryan Member

Thanks Kinkless Tetrode! I knew about the different sizes but is it possible to place the jvm head above the jvm cabinet with no problems, isn’t? I cant believe that Marshall designed JVM head to doesn’t fit in JVM cabinet :). The only point still been the possibility to use the same cabinet to my JVM410H and also if necessary to my combo JCM2000 tsl 122.
    I just didn’t get what you said about the vintage30 models. Are you saying that it is possible to combine vintage speaker with modern like the tsl122/jvmc?

18. Kinkless Tetrode

The JVMC212 is designed as an extension cab for the JVM combos. That's why it is only 27" wide, semi open back, and uses the same speakers, as the combos.

Combining a G12H with a Vintage 30 is a popular speaker mix because the G12H has less mids, especially less upper mids, but more bass and more high treble than the Vintage 30. Basically each speaker has what the other lacks. In this case Marshall uses a proprietary speaker called the Heritage which, according to Marshall, is VOICED like a G12H. It actually uses a M magnet instead of an H magnet. The Marshall G12 Vintage is Marshall's proprietary version of the Vintage 30 and is rated at 70 watts power handling. They rate the Heritage at 80 watts power handling.

You can put the 410H on it if you don't mind how it looks.

aryan likes this.
  19. aryan

aryan Member

Hello Kinkless, I got it is an extension cabinet which could be useful in my case because I have a TSL122 and the jvmc is basically the same model of the tslc. My only concerning now is if the little holes above the jvmc does it fit perfectly with the JVM410H (most important is the head) and also with the jcm2000 tsl.
    Just one confirmation about the open or closed back. Can I use my 2 combos more or less as an example to try to tell you? I mean my TSL122 (closed) has more bass and the Valvestate VS265 (open) has more high (too many some times). If this is the idea more or less I think I’m going with the closed ones. I never stopped to think about it. Once
    Again you guys are awesome helping me a lot. Is there any extension cab. 2x12 with heritage x vintage? Many thanks for your attention here! Rocks on!

20. Kinkless Tetrode

I don't know if a JVM head will fit the mounts of a C212. They will fit on a 1936V cab though. When an amp heads don't fit on speaker cabs very well I just set the amp head on the floor to the side ...ala Jimmy Page. The extension cab should fit under the TSL combo fine.

Notice how Page has the Fender amp heads stacked on the floor instead of on top cabs here:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    aryan likes this.