Jvm410h Noise On Clean Channel

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by TwoSeventy, Mar 18, 2016.

1. TwoSeventy

TwoSeventy New Member

I have recently discovered a subtle clicking radio interference type sound on the clean channel of my JVM410H, when switching to the crunch channel the noise disappears. I had the amplifier serviced just over a year ago by Marshall and they replaced the power amp valves. The preamp valves haven't ever been changed since the the amp was purchased in 2009, ex demo. Marshall said they didn't need replacing when I had the amplifier serviced. The amplifier hasn't had a huge amount of use but it's hard to gauge exactly how much. I am guessing it could be a preamp valve. Any ideas?

2. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

when a preamp tube would have been the culprit, then you would get it on every channel, since they all use the same tubes..
    does it matter which mode on the clean channel is being used?

3. TwoSeventy

TwoSeventy New Member

For some reason it seems a little better today. It is there very subtly on the Crunch channel too but the slight increased hiss on that channel masks it more. It is most apparent on Clean channel green. Very subtle though. I certainly can't hear it at all on the OD1 channel due to the level of gain. I am guessing it may be one of the preamp tubes. I was in the middle of sorting out my pedal board and was particularly listening for noise by plugging in and out of various pedals and direct and tried different cables. The noise was repeatable with all the cables used. The guitar was a Les Paul Standard with Doug Aldrich Suhr pickups. Thanks for your help. I will investigate further. I should clarify this noise is only apparent when you are not playing.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  4. wizaxed

wizaxed New Member

I just got my JVM410H back from a re-tube and tune up yesterday. The tech noticed scratchiness on the gain pot only on the clean channel. Oddly enough, another JVM came in while mine was in service. He checked that one, same results. He called Marshall and asked if they could locate any circa 2008 JVMs and test them. They did and guess what---same results. I believe there is an issue with the PCB on the clean channel that produces scratchiness when using the gain knob. It stops when you stop dialing the knob. Just thought I'd add my two cents. I love my JVM and use the clean channel rarely, so this isn't a big problem for me. Rock on!!

5. TwoSeventy

TwoSeventy New Member

Thanks for the reply, the JVM is a great amp. I mostly use the OD1 channel. The knob on the clean channel seems fine, it's a very minor noise issue. I am going to do a little more investigating to try and work out what it is.