JVM205H..getting to know her...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adrian R, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

and it's appearing to be one bad ass &itch!

Still waiting on the footswitch..should have it by early next week. But I have had some time to experiment with it some more. It's pretty damn mean sounding if you want it to be. Not much extraneous noise either...no where near what some of the complaints I've read are.

Running some new Mullard EL-34s (RIs), Raytheon BPs in V1 and 2, Chinese in the other 3 positions.. Running through a nice all Birch 1960a with a mixture of 75s and 30s.

This baby has got some stones man...different from my other amps, but every bit as good, and I like it more then the Jube I sold off to help get it. Very organic sounding...nice and crunchy warm and loud..

So like the amp does not require any OD pedals, but wow man, hit it conservatively with a clean boost and gets brutal quick.....drop D and drop tunings this way are scary..lol

Also, the more I play through it, and unlike the DSL, I don't think it needs any modifications. I was going to order a 10hy choke, and I still might (assuming GC makes good on their promise to ship me a footpedal). It sounds damn good stock! This could be my go to amp now...I can only imagine how cool it will be once I get the footswtich and set it up for live performance...

So far no regrets.

2. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

It is a great amp. It also has excellent cleans.

3. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

It IS a beast! Love mine!

4. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

What's the master volume like? Can the amp be played quietly or does the volume leap up?

5. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

TBH, I don't hear the difference with the chokes.
    And I modded both my 410 and 205 with it.
    A variable negative feedback control does magic.
    Skip all the other mods.

A set of KT77s are a good friend for the JVM as well.
    Long Plate 12AX7 for V1 and PI...your choice for the others...

6. Adrian R

Hey Matt, did you try a 3, or 10h choke?

7. Adrian R

Rick unlike either my 2204 or DSL, the volume taper is very gradual...very controllable. The OD channel has a separate volume control in addition to the amp's two master volume controls. You can get high gain sounds at bedroom levels no problem, but then it can get very typical Marshall loud...

8. John BNY

I agree on skipping the mods. I did the negative feedback mod on my head, and I hear very little difference between it and my 205 combo, which is completely stock.

9. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I think this might be the amp for me.

10. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

3H & 5H...can't recall which was on which amp...but it made no discernible difference to me.

@John BNY: Not sure what you did with your negative feedback mod, but it makes a world of difference.
    I overly complicated it on the 410...I halved the stock value (down to 47k) and wired it in series to a 250k push/pull pot. This way could never go to zero, and adjust to 'no' negative feedback. The switch is used for the bright cap on/off. This involves cutting the resistor and soldering to the legs left behind....or really delicate cca soldering.

The 205, I just spiced one of the purple wires and put the 250k push/pull in series. *Think I did the bright cap on the switch (but I never pull it from the circuit).

We do have a page here for the various mods that JVM owners consolidated while the JVM forum site was down.

John BNY likes this.
  11. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I know one thing for sure: I am digging the OD2 more than ever before. I have been living on OD1 Orange for most everything, and then even rolling my guitar volume back while on OD1 Orange for clean stuff.

I had my OD2 set up for a lead boost with increased midrange voicing. Did not hardly ever switch over to that for solos anyway. Then the other day I started playing around with OD2 Orange and it does seem that OD2 has a touch more clarity than OD1. OD1 has that more traditional Marshall voicing to my ears. But I am hearing a touch more grind and sizzle from OD2.

12. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

It's probably the best amp they make today.

13. Adrian R

I with the 205 only have two channels. OD channel has 3 modes: green, orange, red. What would be the 205's equivalent to your OD2?

14. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Your second channel or OD channel is exactly the 410 OD2 fourth channel. On the 410, CH3 OD1 and CH4 OD2 are identical in the gain stages/layout and modes except the OD1 has 3n3 coupling cap-> 1000pF bright cap over the gain pot -> 33K tone stack slope resistor.

410 and the 205/210 OD2 has 1n coupling cap-> 1500pF bright cap over the gain pot -> 47K tone stack slope resistor.

410H:
    CH1 three modes are all Fender layout. Green Fender Clean, Orange Fender with extra stage, Red Fender with extra stage boosted.
    CH2 Marshall layout. Green Plexi, Orange 2203, Red slightly boosted 2203
    CH3 OD1 Green Orange Red
    CH4 OD2 Green Orange Red

So . . . the 205/210 are 2 channels with three modes each channel.

205/210 CH1 has a mix of 410's CH1 Green, CH2 Orange, CH2 Red.

205/210 CH2 is identical to 410 CH4.

On the OD channels, Orange and Red use all gain stages/12AX7 triodes. OD Green uses one less stage. So, OD1/2 Green is almost identical to the 2203 Red. They uses same stages but the difference will be in the coupling cap value, treble peaker used on 2203 modes and the bright cap across the gain pots are different values.

Do not get this confused with the 410HJS. That is quite different in itself.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Tonz, Sacalait and DragonSarc like this.
  15. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

How well does this do a Plexi and JCM?

16. DragonSarc

DragonSarc Active Member

410 has more versatility just a little bit than the 210/205 because of the extra channel but dont need it all sold my 410 and got my 205 love it I can crank it more to get more creaminess, I had 5h choke put on the 410 and its barely noticeable, still workin my self up to do the mods neg feed back specially and switching the OD4 to OD1 maybe when I get time off from work. Keep rockin gents :dude:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. John BNY

Matt, I should have been more precise. Yes, there is a tonal difference when I'm just playing in my studio, but I use my JVMs for performing with my band, and I don't hear the tonal difference in a band mix. The negative feedback mod was done by my amp tech, who is very good, but I couldn't tell you exactly what he did from a technical standpoint. He did install a dial to adjust the mod to make it go back to stock, depending on whey I put the dial.

18. Adrian R

Well alrighty then Rick, thanks man!

19. texhex

texhex Well-Known Member

This deserves a sticky! Very helpful information.

20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Dude I knew you were gonna love this amp. DSLs on craigslist next week LOL.