Jvm, V30, and an ecc823!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bloodrock, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

So I’ve been loving my jvm215c since I got it a couple weeks ago. I had installed a V- type and was considering doing the Od2-Od1 mod. But instead I decided to pull a v30 out of my unused 4x12 and install it. Wow what a difference compare to the v-type. I’ve got all the mids I need now! Then on a friends recommendation I picked up a JJec823 and stuck it in v1. Brought the OD orange and red modes down to perfect gain levels. Now I can push the gain past noon before the compression starts really kicking in. Man this is my perfect Marshall now. Clean/crunch is perfect for a strat/Tele and the Od channel is great for all levels of 80’s to metal gain now. I’m a happy camper!

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you’re happy @Bloodrock ,....not much better than being completely happy with your amp! :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

My buddy just recently got a 205H. He already new about me modding my 410H OD channels for less gain and has heard my JVM at his jams these last few years. He ended up doing what you did with the JJ 823 which puts a 12AU7 triode on that stage that the OD channels only use. Anyway, he ended up putting the 12AX7 back in his as I guess he likes the extra saturation. I did not get to hear his 205H with that 823 tube next to my 410H, bummer.

I dig V30's with my 410H too. But the Heritage Greenback M20 is the best fit for me right now with this amp out of all the types I have tried.

4. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP: I can't speak for other amp makes and models, but on the JVM a simple change of preamp tubes in the gain stage position really has a big impact on many aspect of tone. Whether it's lowering the gain factor or searching for a different voice, changing to a different brand and/or type will make a difference (just make sure a new preamp tube is compatible with the preamp tube type recommended by Marshall).

JJ, Electro-Harmonix, Tung-Sol, TAD, Mullard (current production), etc., all bring something a little different to the party. Give them a try and see what fits your needs best.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.