JVM Starter Pack?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by newfiesig, Feb 24, 2020.

1. newfiesig

newfiesig Active Member

I have read a lot about mods for the JVM and tips on how to make it sound "better" (better is subjective, but for the sake of argument, let's say more raw like a 2203) such as putting an EQ in the loop and boosting the upper mids.

What would you say are the most common/popular things done to make the JVM sound better in general (including mods/settings/pedals)? Are there any easy mods that can be performed by those not overly comfortable with taking a soldering iron to their amp?

Hopefully this stems some good discussions!

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've only done the neg fedback mod and it does indeed open up the mids to sound more like a single channel 800. I used a 250k pot so it is variable. Can't see doing anything else to it. I am no rocket scientist, it's pretty easy.

3. newfiesig

newfiesig Active Member

Is there a tutorial you'd recommend on how to do it?

4. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

1) How long have you owned your JVM?
    2) What sound quality do you want from a mod of the JVM?

Regarding mods, I'm not sure if you're looking for something specific, if you are simply inspired by what others are saying/posting online, or something else that's motivating you. You seem to like the 2203 sound (I'm assuming JCM 800 2203), so I'm not quite sure of the details behind your decision to buy a JVM over a JCM800 2203.:shrug:

Other than tone and mods, here are a few things to consider (but not "must haves"):

1) A good noise gate/noise suppressor (perhaps a programmable noise gate/noise suppressor with MIDI input/output ports).
    2) A good MIDI-footcontroller (but make sure it does not solely run on phatom power because JVM does not supply power to MIDI foot controllers via phantom power). MIDI-footcontroller more related to function than tone.

I don't know what kind of player you are, what music you play, what settings you use, etc., so perhaps you don't need any of the items I listed.

Good luck with your rig.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

I cheated and started with a JVM410HJS.

6. newfiesig

newfiesig Active Member

1. I've owned a JVM410HJS for a couple of years, but just got a 205C a week ago. I'm selling the HJS head and 4x12 cab as it's overkill for my needs (playing at home). And TBH I prefer the sound of a 2x12 over a 4x12. The 4x12 is too "big", if that makes any sense. Sounds more like playing through a PA than a guitar amp.
    2. That's just it, I'm not entirely sure what is available and am wondering what mods/kit most people use to get the most out of their JVMs. I do enjoy the JCM800 2203 sounds, but also like higher gain and have to play at relatively low volumes. I actually own a JCM-1, but it cannot do gain anywhere near the JVM; and I prefer the JVM gain sound to anything I could get from the JCM-1 with OD/Dirt pedals.

What kind of player am I? Not a very good one lol. Due to a hand injury I play mainly ham-fisted (i.e. power chords). So that covers a lot of Green Day and metal. I have a bunch of pedals in my closet, but in the spirit of simplifying things I have a noise gate and tuner in front of my amp.

7. newfiesig

newfiesig Active Member

I actually have a HJS and am selling it. Not because it isn't a great amp, I am simply downsizing. I pairing down to a 2x12 combo (205C) and two guitars with a very basic pedal setup. I found I was spending way more time researching and swapping gear than actually playing. And I'm looking for a more "intimate" sound than I was getting out of a 100W head into a 4x12 considering I play solely at home.

8. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

So after only a week you're already thinking of modifying the 205C?

It almost sounds like you're trying to modify it just to modify it rather than modify it because you have a particular sound in mind (people usually have something specific in mind when they think of modifications such as tone (more mids, less high end, less distortion/gain/overdrive) or "feel" like a looser low end or something that "opens" the amp more than stock).

OK, so if you're thinking JCM800 2203 sound for some channels/modes, there might be some mods out there that get you kinda close. A choke, for example, would help you get a little closer and perhaps a negative feedback mod. There are a few other mods that change the characteristics of the distortion/overdrive/gain that would get you closer to JCM800 2203.

9. newfiesig

newfiesig Active Member

Not thinking about anything in specific, just wondering what is available/popular. I will most likely do nothing physical to the amp, but may pick up an EQ, etc.