JVM clean channel louder than overdrive channel at same volume help!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by alpha0steel, Jun 10, 2012.

1. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

Not sure if this is common but my overdrive channel sounds rather weak in comparison to my clean channel in terms of volume. I have it on clean green and my overdrive in orange. Same volume for both but the orange is quiter, any thoughts?

2. LithelShrimper

LithelShrimper New Member

Turn orange up!

I'm sorry I can't offer you any real advise. I hope you get your problem taken care of.

alpha0steel likes this.
  3. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

Yea I set the clean on master 1 and set orange OD on master 2 which is a sliver more volume so that fixed it up!

4. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

more gain often makes it SOUND like it's quieter because of the compression. i HEAR the same thing with all my rigs but the mic levels read the same when i'm recording. so unless it's extreme i'm betting it's just PERCIEVED volume not ACTUAL volume. good luck!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    alpha0steel likes this.
  5. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

The channel volume is bypassed in clean green mode on the JVM and the gain knob functions as the channel volume control in the clean green mode. Where is your gain knob set on your clean channel?

6. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

Yea that's true diesect20022000 i bet it is all perceived volume and not what it really is. I have the gain set at about 10 o'clock although prior to that it was at midnight!

7. santiall

santiall Well-Known Member

The clean volume depends on your guitar, the crunch and OD volumes are limited by the distortion. If you have a guitar with very weak pickups the clean channel will sound lower than the ODs at the same physical knob position and on the other hand, powerful pickups will make the clean channel louder but the ODs will remain more or less the same regardless of the guitar.

What I always suggest is to set the clean green level wherever you like its tone and then adjust the OD levels to match. You may also use the masters and/or FX mix control for some additional volume controls as described in the manual.

John 14:6 likes this.
  8. John 14:6

John 14:6 Well-Known Member

THANKS FOR MAKING MY YJM100 SANTIAGO! I could not be any happier with the amp.:applause: