Jvm 410h With Jcm2000

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by aryan, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. aryan

aryan Member

Hello all I have a great combo JCM2000 tsl and I really like it. Today I bought the JVM410H and I would like to know if is it possible to play with the same massive drive of the tsl version? Thanks In advance

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Won't playing the JVM answer that for you?

I personally like the JVM better than the DSL lines, but mine has has the Negative feedback mod...

spacerocker and aryan like this.
  3. aryan

aryan Member

I played only once during the tests but sounds a little bit lighter than TSL series... am I wrong? Even the OD2 of the JVM doesn’t look so heavy like the OD of the TSL

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Experiment more with it and you will find the goods! Cheers

aryan likes this.
  5. aryan

aryan Member

Thanks for your feedback Mitchell! What I hearded from everybody is JVM is one of the best series of Marshall amps and I could setup from the first models like plexi to the recent ones (maybe Jcm2000 tsl?). I was planning to buy a head since many years ago and this is my choice basically because of the versatility. My first impressions were pretty fucking good the only concerning here is the topic mentioned on the beginning ...

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

My only experience with the JVM is with the 2 channel the 205 version it was not mine, but I was able to get a Metallica type tone, and 80’s type tone from it with out to much knob twisting, my amps and knowledge come from the older 4 hole plexi type amps, and the JMP MV amps, along with what I now own, the Dsl40c’s, and origin 50H, but as I said the tones you seek should be in it! Cheers Mitch

aryan likes this.
  7. Matt_Krush

I had 2 JVM 205s, both new.
    One had JJEL34s the other had Tung Sols.

I set bias on both and the Tung Sol equipted 205 was bigger, heavier, and just superio sounding than the JJ loaded 205.
    The JJs did sound good, but the Tung Sols wete a "wow" compared to them.

So comparing two dissimilar used amps is not exactly a good metric to determine which is 'better' epecially if each one is using different tubes, isn't biased in the appropriate range, or isn't of equal age/time use.

Mitchell Pearrow and aryan like this.
  8. aryan

aryan Member

I got it Mitch and Matt! I still need a cabinet to start test my new baby that’s why I started the discussion. Other thing that I hearded and made me a little bit sad is something related wit the hisses and Hum on the JVM410H is it true? Or this tendes to happen with Strats which is more or less part of the game in order to get some noise...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 9:31 AM
  9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

The JVM on OD1 Orange would be similar but gain around 4 or 5. This gives it a bit less low end than the TSL Channel 2, perhaps less thick sounding. Use the resonance control on the JVM to get a bit more oomph?
    As for noise, high gain amps have hiss, period. Get a noise gate in the loop! You have 2 fantastic amps!!

Mitchell Pearrow and aryan like this.
  10. aryan

aryan Member

Hi Jethro Rocker I really appreciate your feedback! By the way I’m looking for the jvmc212 just because of mix of heritage x vintage exactly the same combination of the JCM2000 TSL I loved! Thanks once again for the comment. I also red something about change some part of the amp in order to solve the hiss something called shocks ( I didn’t understand completely) but it is a kind of frustrated for me Buy one of the best heads of the world and need to do some work locally.

11. Matt_Krush

The JVM410 is a noisy animal. The JVM205..not that bad.
    My 410, I run a noise gate in front of the amp and one in the loop.
    And it is quiet...very quiet.

I use the G-Major in the loop and can make the noise gate different level or not at all depending on the needs/preset.

12. aryan

aryan Member

I have many Marshall’s DSL5w, Valvestate VS265, JCM2000 tsl122 and others MG... none of them I felt or listened this hiss or noisy like you guys are saying... is this a behavior only of the JVM or I’m already introduced to the Marshall tone? I’m playing with Strats singles coils and LesPauls with humbuckers...

13. Jethro Rocker

Strats will hum too. Obviously. The hiss is because the JVM has far mire gain on tap than the TSL.
    Set the TSL on channel 3 with gain full up. You may need to plug a guitar in in order for the sound ro be output. Keep guitar off but turn amp up. You will hear some hiss. JVM as a high gain amp has more.
    It's no biggie, run a noise gate.
    If you dont have a cab yet, run a female to male speaker extension cable like for headphones from the JVM to the speaker line from the speakers in the TSL.

14. Matt_Krush

aryan,
    None of the amplifiers you mentioned come close to the amount of distortion/gain the JVM can produce.
    MG and Valvestate are not tube amps (so those don't even qualify to be compared)

The DSL 5, while it can produce a good bit of distortion, you aren't running 470+ VDC in the chassis to get any real audible hiss unless cranked all the way up.
    Some of the hiss/humming...is all that voltage waiting to be turned into an CA signal for your speakers...

The TSL (and it's been a long time since I tried one) the distortion there about ends at the JVM's OD green modes. Which isn't very noisy at all but has more distortion than an 800 2203 or 2204...about JCM900 levels...

The JVM's noise floor starts to really show in the Overdrive orange & red modes with the gain around 3 or 4.
    If you run lower gain 12AX7 (like 5751, Ecc 803) types in V1 & V2, it allows for further use-ability in the gain dial, while reducing some of the noise.

When people say the 10 on the gain knob in red or orange modes of the overdrive is too much distortion....yes, it really is.
    You guitar will sound like crap recorded and be buried in a live mix.
    The JVM is one amp that has more distortion than is useful.

This is coming from a metal-head that plays in the red OD 1 & 2 channels only.
    Practice I use red, recording & live I use the orange...gain about 6. I have modded the amp, with a choke, variable negative feedback control, ECC803 in V1, KT77's in the output section..and run a 1960AV w V30's for the cut through. (I prefer the 1960B G12T75's for just playing).

My setup is:
    Guitar to shure GDX16 wireless tuner to a Rocktron SuperC Hush into front of Amp.
    Amp Send to TC Electronics G-Major back to amp return (the parallel/series loop)
    Amp to 1960 cab.

All controlled via Behringer FCB1010 (if I want the wah feature) or i use an old ART X-11 foot controller.

15. aryan

aryan Member

Hello Jethro completely understood in fact I was looking for this comparison between TSL and JVM really amazing. For me JVM really looks good then! I already tried a noise gate in my pedalboard in the past and didn’t like. That’s why I’m trying to get away of this solution but if you an expert person is saying I really will do this test. This setup using the tsl speakers will be my question at certain moment thanks to bring me this tip. I’m not sure if I understood exactly but I’m looking to the back panel in order to try. Many thanks for your usual help! Rocks on!

16. aryan

aryan Member

Hi Matt first of all I have no words to say thank you for all the helpful information.
    So I got it the JVM can be a wild beast in the orange and red modes with gain up to 4. What makes me glad is the JVM’s green modes of the ODs is heavier than TSL’s distortion. I get the reason of hiss/hum nice explanation which bring me 2 questions for you: we can’t hear the hiss or hum when we are playing because we have signal active passing through speakers, can’t we? Is there any difference in heads 127volts? Most of the places here are running over 127 volts.
    I will try to use the orange and red modes with moderation but this is something like a devil calling us all the time and saying “just put a little bit more... wont generate hiss...” lol
    So you do make a choke! Is it really good to do? Did you change the tone with choke? Sorry if this discussion is already done in another topic...
    Really nice setup! Your TC are pretty amazing I just have some TC pedals and they are great!
    I just looking for a cabinet could be with 2x12... but I already started this discussion in another topic :)
    Thanks once again for your great explanation! Rocks on!

17. Blackeyes

Blackeyes New Member

Ive been through both of them, was not fond of the TSL, I flipped it after 2 months, The JVM I kept for 4 years before flipping it, the high gain was much more usable the way it was voiced with a tighter gain structure. I should have kept that amp, it was a great amp.

aryan and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. aryan

aryan Member

Did you also listen the hiss/hum? I can’t sell none of my Marshall’s except the Code hehe

19. Jethro Rocker

Try putting a Noise gate in the loop and setting it so it JUST kills hiss. As soon as the slightest motion on the strings, it cuts out. Should work great! Glad you like it.

aryan and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. aryan

aryan Member

Ok Jethro understood! Thanks for more this tip. In fact I Red something about the ISP gate in the loop. My first try will be use the gain between 3 or 4 once this gain is more than TSL OD - which was pretty heavy for my style. Anyway what I saw here in the forum is massive acceptance of everybody so I’m pretty confident that I choose correctly. I was worried because I love my TSL but I have something in the same level of quality (maybe even better) :)
    Thanks and rocks on!