Jvm 215c Stock Speaker

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by catscanman, Dec 17, 2017.

1. catscanman

catscanman Member

Is there recommendations on a replacement for the stock speaker in a JVM215C combo. Thanks for all your help.

2. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

The JVM series sounds great with V30's and the GT75-12.
    To get the tight 'metal' tones, you need a closed back cab.

So I guess it's really...what are you trying to change?

3. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

G12-65 is a match made in heaven for a JVM for rock. It is more inclined to classic rock, hard rock than metal. Creamback would work nicely as well.

4. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP:
    The stock speakers on the JVM 215C aren't, imo, terrible speakers, but it you're looking for something different, then I think you can get exactly what you want if you do some research.

Not sure what genre of music or other gear you use, but here are some ideas that caught my eye:

Brand/manufacturer: Warehouse Guitar Speaker (WGS)
    https://wgsusa.com/

WGS speaker model: Veteran 30 (12 inches; 60 watts). The Veteran 30 is from their British Invasion series.

WGS speaker model: Green Beret (12 inches; 25 watts). Since your 215C puts out more than 25 watts, I probably wouldn't recommend it to replace your stock 215C speaker, but might be better to use in a 2X12 or 4X12 cabinet (not sure if you're looking for a single speaker replacement or a cabinet extension).

As someone mentioned earlier, the Celestion Creamback is a fantastic speaker. I'd give that a try if you are looking to stay with Celestion.

Good luck with your decision.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  5. catscanman

catscanman Member

Thanks for all your help and knowledge.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Member

Yes J think that true, I have the 1960 lead cabinet with the closed back, it dose sound better to me anyway, but
    That's the users job! But if I had to replace the speaker's, I myself would just unplug the old ones and plug in a closed cabinet. I got two of them on Craigslist for a few hundred, They were the 412 cabinets, I should have kept them. I need to get a few more cabinets, Good luck with your SPEAKER'S, take care Rich

7. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

What Deep Purple Fan said.
    I wasn't crazy about the stock speaker in my 215C either. I tried a Marshall-labeled UK-made V30, Chinese V30, Lynchback and Classic Lead 80 with mixed results - some sounded good with the Clean and Crunch channel but not the OD, some vice-versa. Finally, I put in a Marshall-labeled "Heritage" which is a 70-watt version of a G12-65 and that was it, that was the sound I was looking for from both channels. That was ten years ago and I've never been tempted to switch speakers since. In fact, I scored another Heritage on eBay and stuck it in my DSL40C, totally love it in that amp too.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  8. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I've never heard that the Heritage labeled speaker was a version of the G12-65...

If you're talking the T4612 Heritage Marshall Labeled then it has a different cone than the G12-65.
    It does use the same cone as the Silver series from the 90's and the 70/80, FWIW.

9. Angus Rhoads

No, these say T4661. Magnet structure looks identical to the G12-65 Heritage, thought I had read on another forum some time ago that these were basically G12-65s made for Marshall. Tonally they sound like what I normally hear from a G12-65 so it always made sense, but it could be something else I suppose. Whatever they are, they are perfect for the JVM and DSL combos, smooth high-end that tames the inherent brightness of those amps, thick creamy mids and tight, controlled low-end.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  10. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Have you looked into Celestion V-Type speaker?

Another speaker rarely talked about here is the Classic Lead 80....

Bruno60 likes this.
  11. GIBSON67

Thanks Angus, I don't think I've seen the T4661's, can you provide some pics and cone numbers?

12. GIBSON67

After a little research, those are the 8 ohm version with a 8553 cone...Marshall Labeled Heritage model. T4612 is 16 ohms.

But I don't think those could be a version of the famous G12-65 or even the reissue. But stranger things
    have happened...

13. Angus Rhoads

Appears Marshall and Celestion like to keep the details close to the vest, understandably since it's an OEM thing. But, whatever it's based on I have to say I really like it! Like a Vintage 30 without the piercing treble and just a tad less mid-hump. Like I said above, I tried a few other Celestions in the JVM combo and wasn't completely happy with any of them but the Heritage nailed the sound I was trying to get from that amp.

14. GIBSON67

Thanks, and good to know...I'll have to give them a test run sometime.