JVM 205C fotswitch programming

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Mike89, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Mike89

Mike89 New Member

Hey there, my friend finally got a Marshall, it's a JVM 205c 50W all tube combo in pretty mint conditions (yeah, he gave up searching for a TSL...). Problem is, we can't figure out how to use the footswitch. Manual says you can program the footswitch in order to store all the settings of a speific channel, but what we are trying to understand is: is there a way to switch trough all channels by keeping different specific settings for each green/orange/red channel (in other words, having different gain, volume, bass-middle-treble for each separate channel without having to change them everytime from the front panel knobs)? Thanks in advice

2. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

Yes, you can set the footswitch to remember the different gain settings. You can also set one of the switches to Master Volume 2 for solos. Have him follow the instructions in the manual, which I thought were pretty straight forward.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  3. Mike89

Mike89 New Member

Fact is, we followed the manual's instructions but weren't able to do it, it won't save different gain settings for each different channel, it's like you always have to use knob... I'm starting to wonder if this is due to some kind of malfunctioning...

4. John BNY

There has to be a problem with the footswitch. You most definitely can save the different modes (green, yellow, red) for each of the channels, which essentially gives you six switchable channels if you have the six button footswitch.

5. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

No, you can not save different knob settings. You can save anything that can be set with the push switches on the front panel; i.e., master/no master, channel, mode, reverb, effects loop.

6. Mike89

Mike89 New Member

Well, I kinda suspected that, now I have confirmation. Thanks. It's a little disappointing, though, because manual seemed to state it could be done such a thing

7. John BNY

Sorry, I thought Mike was asking if you can set the different gain settings as in through the gain stage buttons.

I obviously was mistaken.

8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

That would be interesting because when you switch to a preset, you wouldn't be able to rely on knob positions to know where it was set. Seems like a digital thing to me.
    If say, volume was set lots lower than the knob position would indicate and you wanted to change it slightly, when you turned the knob a bit it would have to jump to the knob position setting. That could be extreme and well, kinda useless. It's like the Code. I'm glad the JVM doesn't do that to be honest.

9. Mike89

Mike89 New Member

I have to agree with that, nevertheless being that way would have meant having 6 fully independent channels

10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Well yes. True. The JVM is either a 2 channel, 3modes per amp,or the 400 series is a 4 channel, 3 modes per. Perhaps the 400 would have been a better bet at that rate? 4 channels of analog tube amp with the extra footswitchable modes per channel is pretty powerful.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  11. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I have not read the manual in a long time but I don’t recall them implying you could save knob positions on the eq or gain at all. It’s not a line 6 amp or a Code. It’s actually a real valve amp.

It’s a great amp. I had a 2 series and loved it so much I got a 4 series.

12. Mike89

Mike89 New Member

Oh yeah, it's a great amp for shure, I'm not denying it

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  13. G the wildman

G the wildman Active Member

I have that amp. Pedal defo stores buttons only as it scrolls through gain stages. I too was disappointed to learn that but it is an incredible amp. If a little heavy.

Enjoy

Mike89 likes this.