JVM 205 price?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adrian R, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

I found one for about $800.00. It's in perfect condition.

What ya think? Good price?

2. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Combo or Head ?

3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

The Reverb analytics shows $800 on the low end of the pricing scale so according to Reverb that is a good buy.

FWIW: I put a lot more value into what I tend to settle for than some random analytics. One man's treasure is another man's junk. LOL! :woot:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Adrian R

head

5. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I can say without hesitation, I would Love to own either … Price is Average IMO …… If you can Test Drive that puppy, the piece of mind of knowing it’s ‘The One’ is worth a hunny……

6. Adrian R

I just hate paying to much! Sucks losing money if you have to sell.

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Thats a good price, look on Guitar Center, they have them priced about that, you get the 45 day return policy so not stuck with anything if you dont like it.

8. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Most dealers list a brand new JVM205H at $1799.99 (minus taxes and shipping in some cases). At half that price, the amount is about $899.99. Given that the used JVM205H in question is selling $800 somewhere, it makes sense to think of the details. For example, a used JVM205H for $800 is a good deal if the amp is less than a year old and in excellent condition, but not such a great deal if it has old tubes, is missing the footswitch, has some damage/wear and tear, etc. Still, some people might be OK with less than flattering details.

If someone is trying to sell a JVM205H for $800, then you need ask the particulars. For example:
    1) What year is the amp?

2) Has the amp been re-tubed very recently? If so, when and with what brand and type tubes? If not, then when was the last time the amp was re-tubed and/or how many hours use doe the current tubes have?

3) Does the amp comes with it's matching footswitch? If not, you can ask for a discount because all JVM amps comes with a footswitch. While you can operate the amp without the footswitch, the footswitch is impressive and adds to the functionality and versatility of the amp. If you have to buy a new footswitch, it will cost you about $159.99 from at least one dealer I researched:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-91016-jvm4-dsl40cr-dsl100hr-6-way-footswitch

4) Any major damage or component changes. For example, the output and power transformers should be Dagnall (which are fantastic in the JVM), but if there's something else in there you need to ask why and whether seller has original transformers.

@OP: if you are unsure whether you'll like the JVM205H, calm your impulse to buy and go demo a JVM205H at a store. JVM205H are still in production and are fairly easy to find in music stores to demo. If you're worried about loosing money on resell (which is a legitimate and important detail) then I say play it safe and play one (or at least go and actually play the one the seller is selling).

My opinion: without knowing all the details, $800 for a JVM205H that is in "perfect condition" sounds a bit suspicious. If the amp is in "perfect condition" as Adrian says, then it should be priced higher (perhaps around $1000). I'd ask a lot of questions and ask for pictures. The choice is yours to spend the money how you see fit.

9. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Perfect Condition …… except for the beer that spilled onto the chassis ………

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Beer spills improves tone, haven't you been following?

11. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

As I said ……. Perfect Condition !!

12. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Test drive. Could be a lemon. Why would some body sell a perfect amp so cheap.

13. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Not a horrible price. I bought a JVM210 head for $750 that was mint around 2014. Economy kinda sucked then so not easy to move kit. When I got my JVM410HJS I tried selling it and it took weeks. So in today’s market where I see prices going up $800 ain’t bad but not great either. I’d call it a fair price. I do doubt the seller has many good offers. I think $750 would still be my cut line to buy.

14. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member