Just Ordered My New Dsl40 Head From Sweetwater

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by oldmanrockin, Jul 14, 2017.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

So SB at about 4 on the volume knob will begin to introduce more power tube dominance?

2. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

From about 3 on... the power section really comes on. You can hear how the amp opens up and some of that preamp fuzz, hair or fizz as some say disappears. The saturation clears up.

ThePitbullofLove and BanditPanda like this.
  3. AlanH

AlanH New Member

It also has something to do, I think, with this 15 to 18 to 20W ball park being renowned as the optimum for cranking power tubes at "reasonable" (LOL) volumes. Anybody who wants 40-50W may be looking more so for an all-purpose workhorse of a combo that has the clean headroom if needs be, but also has plenty of features (at least two channels, EQ, reverb, FX loop etc.), takes pedals well, can still be cranked at around half power, and does not involve paying boutique prices. It's probably the biggest area of the market in gigging valve amps. That buyer also probably doesn't want to be lugging heads and cabs around because they want it all in one package.

Edit: It's also why the DSL40C is made in Vietnam. This is great for me because I can afford a multi purpose amp that has that great Marshall sound and it's great for Marshall because I didn't buy a Fender or a Peavey. Their focus with the DSL 40C had to be eating in to the 40-50W mid-priced combo market, using market-competiting improvements over the DSL401C.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Member

Anytime I see a 40-50 watt head it's usually lacking in features it's bigger brother has and also doesn't save much money over the bigger one. And the big one nearly always has a power reduction.

Look at the TSL60...I'd have bought one of those years ago if it had a full 3 channels with their own EQ like the TSL100 which is a primary selling point for that amp over just getting a DSL50 or DSL100 for less money.

I did also make an extension for my DSL401 before I started running 4x12 cabs. It looks pretty good but at the time I didn't know better and made it from cheap MDF wood. It does have a Celestion Vintage 30 in it though:

[​IMG]

BanditPanda likes this.
  5. J.LaGrassa

J.LaGrassa Well-Known Member

Any of you guys like running the amp in the 20 Watt mode? I hardly use it but I might try it with the band to see how it responds pushing the power tubes a little more. Love the 40W mode but who knows maybe the amp will be just as sweet in 20W mode.

6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

SB of course you're always in 40W mode?

7. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Yes however when I first got it I played a lot in half mode. I prefer full mode.

BanditPanda likes this.