Jumping channels on 1959

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Jodyzuza, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    If you run FX in the jumper "loop" you can totally change what channel II sounds like. Not the same amp I know, but I run my 2061x Guitar>top lead input, bottom lead input>Boss CE-2>TC Flashback Delay>TC Hall Of Fame Reverb> top bass input. I then use the bass volume and tone to mix the wet signal with the dry signal from the lead channel.
    Pretty sure the four hole 50/100 watters work the same way. :shrug:
    If you use an A/B/Y switch you can run an o/d in front of the first input without affecting the second channel. The four inputs gives so many possibilities :yesway:

BDozer and Coronado like this.
  2. Joshabr1

Joshabr1 Well-Known Member

Yep. My shared cathode lead spec other wise loves it around 4-6. All the grind I would ever need. And unholy loud. No need to turn up past that to me.

AlvisX likes this.
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

shared cathode , major part the "plexi" puzzle IMO

4. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

I just picked up a 1978 and I'm new to the whole 4 input thing, but I gotta say, I love all of the options! Georgiatec was really helpful and gave me the rundown on how to loop effects into my jump. I don't have an A/B/Y splitter yet, so I tried running some OD through my loop as well (bottom number 1 to chain then up to top #2 input). I guess there are so many ways to do this (as Georgiatec mentioned). Are there other ways as well to add OD while using a jumper? I know when I crank it up a bit the amps gain is fantastic, but I also like to add some OD at lower volumes as well.

As always, thanks for all the help and advice!

Georgiatec likes this.
  5. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Try a few o/d or distortion pedals in front of the first input to begin with. The pedal of choice back in the day (mid-late '70's) was the MXR distortion+. The original Boss OD1 also had good (more subtle) results. There are so many available these days that you could be spoilt for choice. A lot of the tones from the past were happy accidents due to the limits of what was actually available. :)

6. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

I've gone through different combinations on my 1959HW. Lead input only, normal input only, jumpered and Y-cord. I like all four for different situations. Right now, I'm using lead input only. I dime all the controls, use a Rivera RockCrusher to control the output and use guitar volume/tone to control the tone. From bright to dark it goes: lead>Y-cord>jumpered>normal. There's a place for all of them. The Lead channel has plenty of bass as long as you turn it up to 10, back off the guitar volume to 5-7 and tone 2-4.

'10 Fender 52 Telecaster Vintage Reissue
    '12 Gibson J45

Marshall 1959HW
    Marshall 1960TV
    Marshall Class 5 Mark II
    Fender 57 Twin Reissue

7. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I like using a Y cable myself, Volume on channel one at 3 1/2 and channel two at 4, plenty of volume! I go from my pedalboard to a Fender Tube Reverb then through the Y cable to the amp, and use either a Maxon OD-9 Tubescreamer or B.K. Butler Tube Driver for distortion, sometimes along with a Roger Mayer Octavia. The Tube Driver gets the most use, it's the best distortion unit I've ever heard, and I've heard a bunch of 'em!

Besides, if it works for EJ, it works for me..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Thats one area I've been a tad confused about -if I'm jumping cables (guitar into top #1 left, jumping from bottom left to top right), is it better to adjust both volumes, or better to just adjust the guitar input? (top left).

Thanks!
    Ray

9. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

A lot of guys jumper from the lo input sensitivity bright channel to the hi input sensitivity normal channel and inject the guitar signal into the hi input sensitivity bright channel. After watching Jamie Humphries (Lick Library tutor) jumper his 4 holer Marshall for a Gary Moore video, I now do mine like Jamie does all the time which is.... Guitar signal into lo input sensitivity bright channel, and jumper from hi input sensitivity bright channel to lo input sensitivity normal channel. For whatever reason, this works best for me and my applications.

10. shane159

shane159 Member

Same here.

IronMaidenNutter and Metroman like this.
  11. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I've tried jumping and not jumping. It almost depends on the day but I think that I prefer just plugging in to the high channel and then turning the normal channel up. This does change the tone of the high channel a bit.

I disagree that jumping gives you bluesy tones. I think that jumping the channels makes the amp much punchier and more aggressive sounding. Just the normal channel will give the "bluesiest" tone while just the bright channel will give a nice blues/rock tone all the way up to early hard rock when cranked.

stalefish likes this.
  12. sct13

sct13 Active Member

Jumping tends to add more lows to the bright or more bright to the normal. depending on which side your plugged into.

The knobs themselves are interactive as well without jumping.

I usually do not like the results of jumping, It adds a flubby tone I can hear as intrusive.

13. stalefish

stalefish Well-Known Member

Yup. I prefer not to jump, or when I do, I just tickle in a little of the normal vol.

Another thing.....when using humbuckers, jumping channels, and cranking volumes, back the bass off. Some guys roll all the way down to 0. The way the tone controls interact with the gain stage, the more you crank it, rolling off the bass knob helps keep things tidy.

FutureProf88 likes this.
  14. Joshabr1

On shared cathode amps jumping makes them muddy to me. I think it matters much what ur set up is. If u have 2 basketweaves shared cathode and pafs jumping wouldn't make sense. If u had to cabs full of 75s and a strat jumping would be a good option.

15. Joshabr1

I have 2 basketweaves with 003 cones and a les paul with paf pickups w a superbass (100pf) bright cap. I plug into bright channel and eq presence 6 bass0 mid 10 treb 10 bright vol 9 normal vol about half up. This setup gets a very kossoff sounding tone. Now with the strat it's a totally different set up.

Progear likes this.
  16. Maklaca

Maklaca Well-Known Member

When jumping, you will want to use both volumes. Most people use jumpers because they feel the bright channel is too bright and the other channel is not brought enough.
    Jumping connects the two channels in parallel. allowing you to dial in the right mix of each channel to get the tone you like.

Georgiatec and sct13 like this.
  17. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Plugging into the NORMAL channel and then jumping to the BRIGHT channel will attenuate more high frequency. If you want to retain more highs from the guitar then plug into opposite.

It does not matter if you plug into a HIGH or LOW input since plugging into both jacks of one channel will provide only the lower dB input.
    It does matter where the jumper is plugged into with HIGH providing higher dB and LOW having the less dB input.

BDozer, yladrd61 and Joshabr1 like this.
  18. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Jumping the channels allows lows (from one channel)
    and highs (from the other channel)
    To round out the tones, highs and lows together...

But it barely adds any gain. About 20% and hardly anything to brag about.

Using a Plexi:
    you have to crank it wide open, to cause the output tubes to overdrive.

(it's louder than God)
    Then, use an attenuator to lower the volume.
    (the attenuator IS the master volume)

Otherwise, if you don't play it WIDE open, there is no point in owning a Plexi.

If you play a Plexi on LOW volume
    It's very clean and has no guts whatsoever.

Trying for a great sound at low volume?
    So, most people who bought a Plexi...bought the wrong amp.

Most people do not understand the purpose and use of the Plexi.
    They wind up using distortion pedals to correct the misunderstandings.

And if you are using distortion pedals, you missed the point of a Plexi entirely.

19. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

Angus ran his on ~5-6.

20. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

** If your Marshall has a shared cathode configuration **