Jubilee And JCM 800 Not Metal Enough

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by kam4ff, Aug 30, 2012.

1. kam4ff

kam4ff New Member

Any tips besides pedals for getting where I need to be? An ep or mxr 10 band get there but they're noisy.

2. JBMarshalLover

JBMarshalLover New Member

Sell both and get something else or a 2210? or 2203 modded

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

When I think metal, I really don't think Jubilee...

As for the JCM, try a Boss SD-1 or an MXR ZW OD. They may add noise, but thats the nature of the beast.

If all else fails, trade your JCM for a 2203KK, which has a boost and noise gate built in.

surface54, Leendrix and bvoris like this.
  4. Wycked Lester

Wycked Lester Well-Known Member

i use 2 2203's in stereo boosted with an sd1 for metal and they sound amazing in the context of a band. Very chunky and smooth but with sweet mids that cut thru and fill the mix like no other head i've tried.

I have a jubilee too, but the brute punch, definition, and clarity of the 800 still win in my book.

You have to be careful dialing up metal tone,... its VERY easy to over do lows and gain, and VERY VERY easy to scoop out too much mid... The 800s pretty much prevent this from hapening

5. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 Well-Known Member VIP Member

dude death metal bands use 2203's lol. yeah they need a boost though to get there but modern amps need a boost too. it's the nature of a good tight metal tone to need a clean boost/od set clean.

if that doesn't do it though the bogner alchemist is a great cheap option (refer to my sig, recertified and sweep 16) or Framus Dragon and cobra (which i also have. i have a cobra modified dragon for sale or partial trade right now)
    or the age old classic 5150.

900 SL-X
    900DR etc may do okay too dependong on tastes.

but imo no amount of gain makes up for a clean/set clean boost out front to the amp.

the only amp i've owned that's come to where i can get away with (in my mind) using no boost is the Framus cobra and dragons but i still PREFER a boost to tighten things up.

i take that back, peavey XXX is tight enough without a boost but it's hella compressed unless biased up better.

they're pretty solid metal amps with a brighter tone than 5150's.

2203xman, medicjg and Leendrix like this.
  6. DSL 50

DSL 50 Active Member

About $250

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYd16WCVrDo&list=FLskUQoFDULchH2d4LWh7KEA&index=25&feature=plpp_video]Kasha Quick Mod.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

plexilespaul likes this.
  7. newbies

newbies New Member

A good boost, 2203 and high output pickups will get you metal. As diesect said so many metal bands have used 2203s over the years. Mxr wylde overdrive can be a good change to a sd1 but you will need a noise gate.

8. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

What about a JVM410? I have head good metal clips with these?

9. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

good suggestions guys! those hot pickups are the first improvement you should make. that 10band EQ is great! there is 10 little amp circuits built in to the pedal each is amplifiing the high impedance (current) signal (voltage) that noise is the full current of the voltage. It's supposed to be noisey!

10. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

As mentioned, both amps require a good clean boost pedal or overdrive pedal to push the preamp into overdrive..NATURALLY...

Why the predisposed disliking for pedals?

Some of the greatest metal tones of all time were conceived this way...from Rhodes, to King, to Tipton..shit Mercyful Fate...could go on and on..

*Most* of these players used Marshall amplification with their front ends being boosted with some kind of pedal. Guitars and their pickups have great influence as well..

Very few amps today, even the high end boutique style amps, can touch the tonal purity of a properly setup JCM 800 (the RIGHT tubes and bias) being punched in the teeth with a good quality boost pedal. It really is the benchmark from which all other rock/metal amps are judged.

11. rdamaral

rdamaral New Member

hmm, that Kasha mod is interesting, anyone build one berfore?

12. Adrian R

Ha!!:wow: That was pretty cool man! A possible solution for the 800 04/03 users..especially with footswitch capability. However, you can *almost* get the much of a gain boost using a GOOD quality OD pedal without having the expense of a FX loop installed, and maintain the natural TIGHT tonal integrity of the amp. To me when the guy switched on the mod the bottom end loosened slightly... but it still sounded good..and at $250 for the little box..was affordable.

But for me, I don't need it! The DSL does this well boosting the green channel and..having the red channel with its MV control for not only a gain boost but a VOLUME boost as well..

Sorry, love me DSL!

13. DSL 50

DSL 50 Active Member

You don't need to have an effects loop for the Kasha mod.
    It just plugs into the V1

Quikmod Classic (Rockstar Mods of the 80's) - $236.55 : Kasha Amplifiers, Store

14. Adrian R

Ahh..that's VERY cool...and for the price..well, that is about what a boutique OD pedal will cost you. I'd love to do a side by side test with a 2204...one with the F/Tone pedal driving the amp stock, and then comparing it to the amp running that mod device. The Fulltone pedal is only about $150.00...I got ALLOT gain out of my 2204 with the F/tone pedal..not *quite* as much as what that video depicted, but pretty damn close..and my tone stayed SUPER TIGHT.

But, as I mentioned early, my DSL does all of this and then some...

15. Ayrton

Ayrton New Member

Hot pups, an EQ pedal and a boost... done.

If that don't get it, you are not looking for a Marshall.

Fiftywattmafia likes this.
  16. V-man

V-man New Member

This. Everything from the 80s was a boosted 2203. when Celtic Frost reformed, Tom Warrior had whatever he wanted to recreate his sound. After testimg the modern gear, he went back to the 2203 (boosted), which was the quintessential metal sound.

The jubilee would be more of a solo/melodic metal amp. It is clear gain, not raunchy gain, so it's for shred, not riffage. IMO, the best thing to add is a transparent OD to a Jub if boosting. I use the Tim, a marshall-based circuit.

JBMarshalLover likes this.
  17. Adrian R

And there you have it. Very well illustrated V-man.:applause:

18. luisgarciaalanis

luisgarciaalanis New Member

Didn't Metallica used a JCM800?

19. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Active Member

Modded

Jesus...not metal enough? Try Engl.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

Only the power sections for their Mesa Mark 2c+s.

But they did use Jose-modded JMP100s that were boosted by a Rat (Kill em all) and a Tubescreamer (Ride the Lightning, blended with a mark 2c+).

Why not add a DSL or a JCM900 SLX in your collection?

diesect20022000 likes this.