Jubilee 2558 combo help

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by halibut1952, Nov 6, 2019.

1. halibut1952

halibut1952 New Member

so after playing a friends 2555, I became obsessed with getting a jubilee, long story short I ended up with the 2558 combo, I can get this thing sound very inspiring at lower volumes to the point where i will play for hours, but cranked up with my band the sound hasn't been there, nothing like my buddy's, is it the open back cab? should I be running it on 8 OHM? if so has anybody found a speaker that works better for the combo, or closed up the back, or do I basically have to play it through a closed back cab, which I was trying to get away from haha, I already had it retubed and biased, what are peoples thought's on mixing it with a 212 closed back along with the existing open back 212, looking for any idea's I know these things should be turn on a rock, just seems to lose the cream and punch at higher volumes, thanks so much

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I would use a closed back cab loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    I have no personal experience with your amp, but I do know that many hold them in high regard, to me they all sound better through a closed back cab , with good speakers, and if they act anywhere near how my Dsl40c’s
    act bring the gain down as volume goes up, that in itself is a big game changer.
    Cheers Mitch

scozz, wolfpack and Michael Roe like this.
  4. DLW

DLW Active Member

The G12 Vintage version of the V30 if possible to get you closest to what came stock.

Are those speakers in there or 75’s.

5. DLW

DLW Active Member

Also confused about your 8 ohm questions. Set it to whatever your speaker load is.

Not familiar with 2558 model. I get mixed up with old jub model numbers. Is it 100 watt 2-12 combo. If not what is it?

6. halibut1952

halibut1952 New Member

so yeah its the 50 watt 212 combo, it has the 2 celestion G12 16 ohm modern lead 70 speakers, are those the marshall branded vintage 30's? anyhow on my lunch break I played the amp thru my old green checked 412 marshall cab that has legit vintage 30's and it for sure had more boom, but the combo speakers have more definition, maybe I just need to find the sweet spot, I think maybe adding a close back 212 in combination with the open back speakers might be the call, so in that regard I guess Im asking what Ohm should I be running it on with the 2 G12 16 ohm speakers that are in it? and if I added a 212 and used the existing speakers would I go down to 4? and if I used the existing speakers and added a 412 cab what would I run it at? the ohm thing has me baffled, thanks for all your replys!!!

Attached Files:

7. halibut1952

halibut1952 New Member

yeah I elide I have 70 watt G12's in there, Im sue that part of the problem, which vintage 30's would you recommend? I have some really good OG ones that Ill put in for now but I want get some specifically for this amp, thanks so muck

8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

The ones that they originally came with are Marshall branded G12 Vintage. They really rock with this amp but I can see a closed back adding some extra punch for sure. A Vintage 30 would be close to these speakers, they were basically designed off these. The Lead 70 is not the same.

Your current load is 2 x 16 ohm so 8 ohms. If you add another speaker set, make sure the total is 8 ohms. Then you run it at 4 ohms, yes. Most 2x12s should be able to run at 8 provided you have 16 ohm speakers in there. These are awesome amps but if your buddy is playing very loud with a 4x12 I can see it. Otherwise they shoild sound quite similar. Above 5on the master volume they really let loose.

They were these in a 16 ohm.

[​IMG]

El Gringo and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  9. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Jet has you covered. I agree its probably the wrong speakers for the amp.

If your in Europe you can get the correct speakers:

https://www.guitarmania.co.uk/product/marshall-speaker-vintage-30-16-ohm/?v=7516fd43adaa

If your in N America I would suggest these:

https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/speaker-12-celestion-vintage-30-uk-made.html

If you want to run it through closed back cab with the correct G12 Vintage speakers:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...0-watt-2x12-inch-horizontal-extension-cabinet

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  10. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

the ones that Jethro Rocker posted in the photo

11. DLW

DLW Active Member

I just sent a PM

I have a 2551 reissue cab that I was just considering dropping some G12C Greenbacks in and letting go of the stock G12 V30.

12. DLW

DLW Active Member

Just read back a little and saw you have a 4/12 with V30.

The G12 is supposed to be a little different than the regular V30. How much no idea

One option you could try is take two of the V30 you have and load them in your combo and see if it gets you there or close to there and maybe adjust the amp settings some to dial it in.

The EQ on the Jubes is amazing and a little tweaking goes a long way.

You got options.

You have 3 things that are different from your friends 2555.

1-different speakers
    2-open back
    3-50w vs 100w. There is a difference

You also may have different brand tubes and the bias set differently and settings different.

But you have amazing amp and I believe you can get to or close to where you want it to be without having to get another cab. But that is always an option too.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  13. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

What is a G12C Greenback?
    Why get rid of OEM Marshall G12V?

14. DLW

DLW Active Member

I have a stock reissue 2551a cab with the stock speakers. The UK made G12 Vintage.

I know it sounds crazy but I am thinking of letting the speakers go.

I am not the biggest V30 fan but apparently these are supposed to have less of a upper mid spike compared to standard V30 speakers.

They are still very efficient and loud though. I do not gig. I have a cab with G12C Greenbacks the kind from Vintage Modern 425a and Marshall Hendrix 45/100 cabs. The jub sounds great thru a cab with those speakers. Its warmer and not as loud. I have an extra set of those Greenbacks and thinking about putting them in the Jub cab.

I know that may seem crazy. But we do crazy stuff with gear and its time for me to move some stuff and scale down a little.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. halibut1952

halibut1952 New Member

yeah for now thats what I'm going to do, I ran it thru the 412 and its the tone for sure, Im going to throw two of those in the combo for now until I get my hands on a set, I use the 412 for bigger shows so I do need it and don't want to mess with the speakers to much because it always sounds great.

16. mickeydg5

Ah, I did not think of those. The G12C are great speakers. I never tried them but liked practically every video/sound clip I have ever heard. :yesway::)

DLW and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

I run my 2553 stack at 25w and it sounds great with the gt75s it came with. can't remember what model number the cabs are but they're 2x12 8ohm closed back

18. mickeydg5

2x12 Jubilee were 2556 cabinets.