Jtm45 Clone

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by BftGibson, May 28, 2018.

1. BftGibson

BftGibson Active Member

The amp that changed my world..it is super well built, guy who made is very picky, picked it up off CL for $550, did not even know what i had. It is jtm45 kit with bone stock 59 bassman on 1 side and 2204 on other, el34 pushung 50 watts w/master..man can you blend..the master is for basically subtracting volume and the more you do the wilder the gain goes up, it is jcm800 and then sum, more depth. Into sealed back 2x12 with Celestion gt75 & v30 and semi open 2x12 with 60 watt celestion greeine and Celestion type V..it is clear and loud but is a great low level amp for at home cause the tone does not change. BR amps.jpg

MarshallDog and vivanchenko like this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Need gut shots :applause:

3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

:photos: We always need to see inside, that's the rule.

4. BftGibson

BftGibson Active Member

np, will get pics up when i get home

5. BftGibson

BftGibson Active Member

found out a lot more about it, it is basically a jmp50 50 watt with trainwreck 3 MV on a hoffman board. been cool learning all this. Found out it was played by Steve Conte, here is my quote when i tracked the builder down.
    Yours started out as a stock Ted Weber JTM45 clone kit, which I modded as I built it, and was built to model 2204 master volume specs. If you visit my website www.jonssonamplifiers.com you will see reference to one of my amps being gigged by Steve Conte. That amp is the one you have, or at least the chassis, transformers and cabinet are. Steve IS an “international rock star”, with I guess his most recognizable named band being The New York Dolls, I think he did around 6 years with them. Shortly after he used the amp I discovered a guy by the name of Doug Hoffman, one of the first guys to modify and clone old school amps. He did work for Dickey Betts of The Allman Bros. for one. Anyhow, Hoffman sells parts, kits, and most importantly beautiful turret boards. Since I hadn’t been able to sell that amp, I decided to rebuild it back closer to “stock plexi” without the master volume mod. Yours is the result of that. It isn’t quite stock, but the mods are the ones Hoffman developed to remove the “ice pick” high frequencies that some people complain about with Marshall amps. The main difference is the removal of a couple “bright caps” and 1 coupling cap with a slightly different value. The result is what you have. Not long after I rebuilt it using the Hoffman board, I did add a master volume pot to it, which resided in one of the 4 input holes. The buyer personally removed the master, and I think may have put the 4th input back in, and may have also added a toggle switch for channel jumping. I am not 100% sure exactly what he did. If there are 4 input holes and a small toggle switch, flipping the switch “should” jump the channels. If so, when jumped, both volume controls work at the same time allowing you to blend the normal and bright channels. If there is no toggle switch, simply plug your guitar into any of the 4 inputs, and take another guitar cable or short patch cord and plug one end into the other input hole on the same input channel side, and the other end into either of the open inputs on the other channel. Both volume controls should then work at the same time to blend in the “brightness” that you want. I have attached a couple pictures, the inside of your amp, and Steve Conte playing it. Yes, it only had 2 inputs when Conte played it, but that is the cabinet, chassis, transformers and tubes he played. The 3rd pic is YOUR board after wired before going into the chassis. Should you be wishing it still had the master volume pot or any other mods, let me know, it won’t cost an arm and a leg, just a couple toes!

Will you be gigging the amp? Feel free to ask me additional questions.

6. BftGibson

BftGibson Active Member

since then it has been put back to trainwreck 3 MV..cool amp here is guts from builder Optimized-plexiguts.jpg

7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Very nice, congrats. I bet it sounds killer. It must sound closer to a JMP correct?