JTM Clubman New 18 Watt Amp With Vintage Parts

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by pleximaster, Nov 20, 2019.

1. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

Beautiful built Neikeel as always! I initially started with that same layout! But tweaked it from there. And you are right it is more or less a rip off of Watkins Dominator.

2. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

Built by pleximaster with 1960's components and parts

Much thanks and appreciation to my friend pleximaster for all that you do !!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Great tone . I really like that chime sound you get with those el84s with the right gain it sounds great .

tomsvintage likes this.
  4. pleximaster

clubman custom.jpg 7fbpCl1MRHKhsMYOdYGPBw_thumb_26a1.jpg CC b.jpg I have a few projects (Restorations and and builds) going on and while sourcing parts I start new ones... :) Here is a new one inspired by the Clubman. This will be a a 18 watt two channel but without tremolo. Will make a similar small head box as for the other Clubman I made for Tom and me (My Clubman is soon done waiting for some parts and valves) Will make Clubman speaker cabs as well

This new Clubman (Custom) I build on an old 63 Concord Linear chassis... Still trying out layout...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Dogs of Doom and tomsvintage like this.
  5. pleximaster

Will be interesting to see how this one will work out. I have stolen/borrowed many classic designs from all over, however, will they work out together? I am after a compact build at the same time using oversized vintage components (1-2 watt resistors for instance, Ken Fischer supported oversized resistors for tone)

plexi

IMG_5864.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  6. pleximaster

Now I regret not making a schematic and just tried to keep all in my head instead, hard when you pause in a build...

plexi 9657BB26-34EF-4F0E-B212-9134F7540CE9.jpeg 06D9124A-B6DD-4E41-96A4-0AF2C6D2F8D0.jpeg

7. pleximaster

Front

input for the two channels (will be switchable using an external a/b box (less wires inside)

above these are volume and tone for jtm/JMP plexi type of channel

then there is a wreck like channel with TMB

nfb circuitry build in

I have been inspired by the mhuss T-Rex amp

best plexi 80A6EF4E-4F4B-45AE-BE6F-89B03B8081F4.jpeg

tomsvintage likes this.
  8. pleximaster

I am really keen to know how the Original Concorde Linear Output transformer will work out in this design. It’s a hit or miss I think. You always hear that ultra linear transformers shouldn’t be used in guitar amps. however I got a few early 60 script logo Carlsbro combos and they all are wired using ultra linear options and they sound soo good!

9E904D05-DA68-47DF-8618-E16390AB1DEA.jpeg

Guitar-Rocker and tomsvintage like this.
  9. pleximaster

update!
    As you can see from the long test wirings, I am already rebuilding this one. I finally put in the last wires yesterday but it didn't sound as I wanted it to. Had this great design prepared in my head but reality and hubris hit me and now I have to rethink this one... :) :) :)

I won´t stop trill it sound good! ;)

plexi

IMG_5946[1].jpg

I might be some miss calculations as I combined two types of preamps, a cathode bias, no choke and ultra linear OT making the voltages off respectively...

...meditate on this I will... (Yoda)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Dogs of Doom and tomsvintage like this.
  10. pleximaster

Still scratchat my head with this build...

cant get both “preamps” to sound good with the output stage. Either the “plexi” sounds good or the “Fischer” one...

I accidentally sapped myself real good using too many test wires at once and one hit the chassis as I poked around...

Zzzzzappp!

Plexi

11. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

ouch!

12. pleximaster

Yes Ouch!!!

I think however I am starting to sort things out with different preamp voltages for the two channels. I have to test it out a bit more and then tidy it up. Still have several dangerous long test cables and now the board and pots are hanging in the air! ;) ;) ;)

Won´t post pictures! What a mess! Haha! :)

13. pleximaster

In this amp I am trying to built a two channel 20 watt-ish Clubman with one jtm channel and one Fisher/ trainwreck inspired one, where you can go from clean to metal with just the turn of the volume on the guitar. I had a few design flaws (still a few to correct/optimise)

I have change quite a few values from my initial design and this have resulted in temporary long wires that makes the amp noisy at the moment. I also hear a ground loop that I’ll try to eliminate. At the moment I am just glad I got the clean to metal thing going, just using the guitar knobs.

As mention before I build this in a concord linear hifi amp using the OT in ultra linear mode. Guitar is old Les Paul with original PAFs 7.2k 7.8k No high gain pickups.

A good friend of mine thought it reminded of the "Slash tone" and I take that as a compliment! :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  14. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Seems to hit most of the necessary spots!:headbanger:

pleximaster likes this.
  15. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

Excellent !!!!

16. shakti

shakti Active Member

Very cool! What cab/speakers?

17. pleximaster

t652 Celestion alnico!

tomsvintage likes this.
  18. pleximaster

I am making some "Clubman" cabinets for the Clubman and decided to voice them all for Celestion alnicos

plexi

tomsvintage likes this.
  19. pleximaster

I got rid of the ground loop hum today! :) More or less star grounded everything only two points.

Still have some noice but since its a sort of a train wreck design I guess it wound be that quiet... (I never owned a real train wreck but I heard they are not super quiet designs) Any input and experience on this would be appreciated! :)

Will make a new sound slip soon (But the kids are off to bed...)

It is really cool on the wreck channel now as you go from totally clean to over the top gain with just the volume control on the guitar.

Not 100 % balance yet between the JTM channel and the Wreck... The JTM preamp section should be go in a bit stronger into the power amp... ;)

Description
    Power amp is inspired by a 1962 Carlsbro CS40 (Ultra linear setup)
    JTM channel is inspired by the 1 watt 50th anniversary JTM1
    TrainWreck channel inspired by Trainwreck express and Mark Huss T-Rex amplifier

Built on a Concord Linear amp chassis with old transformers and parts

plexi

plexi

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    shakti likes this.
  20. pleximaster

I have now put shielded wires to all grids in the preamp, it is very quite now but it has lost some sparkle, I am considering trying to shift and increase some of the upper highs by increasing the values on a few caps but first some tube/valve rolling...

plexi