JTM 45 in Japan

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by CptZar, May 18, 2019.

1. CptZar

CptZar Member

Found this JTM 45 in Japan. What do they mean by "Restore Model"? Build up from scratch with old stock parts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Uhm.... you REALIZE that's $21k?

As in, twenty one THOUSAND american dollars? For something that looks kinda homebrewed?

MarshallDog likes this.
  3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Well if it is home brewed it has all the right parts in the right order.
    Only things I see are the bypass cap on the lead channel mixer, snubber cap, bias caps look a bit big. The PT looks like a correct one, but most of the RS ones usually have a lip over the end-bell.
    Gold string on the head cab with gold plexi panel and silver maroon logo is unusual when the levant is smooth '64 type, I would expect white panel and white piping, the serial number would help, maybe.
    Edit, I visited site and ser is im 3000 range, which is about right for a Bass model, the amp was restored at Plexipalace by Victor Mason's team, so interpret that how you will.

4. CptZar

CptZar Member

Plexipalace... I had it translated by google and it was Plexiplease there, which didn't work of course. Thank you for commenting.

Isn't that the same levant which the 1965 JTM presently offered at Reverb has?

Here is the google Translate

The world's rare Plexi JTM 45 restorer model!

Renowned as a restore studio for vintage amps and as an incomparable JTM 45 mania, it is "Plexiplease" in Apple Valley, California, USA.
    They are cleaned up to the parts of Saibe at the workshop, and all parts are soldered from scratch
    Wired and adjusted and completely reproduced at the time of 60's release.

There are many vintages where tubes and condensers have been replaced due to exhaustion, but all the internal parts are cleaned by an engineer who is familiar with vintage marshalling, and the best condition plexi marshal revived in modern times is very rare, even globally It is a great pleasure for the guitarist to get the original JTM 45 in conditions as close as possible to the rare plexi panel at the time of its release.
    Is not it?
    ※ Please note that there are some parts that are different from the original such as vacuum tube, condenser, wiring material etc.

5. neikeel

I thought the levant on the Japanese site was the smooth '64 only type which jives with silver maroon logo, RS OT, PT and choke but the serial, gold front panel, and gold string are more '65 like the one on reverb you refer to.
    Hard to say for sure as PP had so many amps in and out with restoration going on.....

6. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

This one looks very nice! I believe it is original form these and other pictures that I have seen of this amp but its been restored here and there, nothing spectacular or bad thing. But as I usually say an amp that has never been touched after 50 years since it left factory can't be a working amp... so amps are worked on (non original parts put in) and in later years these are then often replaced with period corrects parts making the amps look brand new. Just like with vintage cars.

7. jimijam

jimijam New Member

That PT looks more like a Drake (not RS). No Hammered looking covers. I can't tell what is written on the underside (exposed wrap). The OT is RS..

8. CptZar

CptZar Member

On Marstran there is 3013, just one number apart. It has the RS PT with lips. Beside that and the logo both amps look almost identical.

http://www.marstran.com/65 3013.htm

Here is another picture of the levant. Is this the smooth tolex?

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      244.8 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      67.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  9. Madfinger

Madfinger Active Member

Japanese take their s#!t very seriously as Fender found out 30+ years ago. Believe or not, they now also stock some of the finest s/h instruments, from various manufacturer's, on the planet available. I wouldn't write this deal off just because of its origin.

MK333 likes this.
  10. CptZar

CptZar Member

Thank you, absolutely. I myself bought a couple of amps from Japan.

MK333 likes this.
  11. neikeel

Not on that picture, looks more like the usual fine grain Moroccan levant as referred to in the blurb. Seems my point earlier about the PT having seen some attention might be correct.

12. neikeel

From above looks like early selector on top Drake. From below very much like an RS with typical self leads and the labelling wrapped in sellophane

13. CptZar

CptZar Member

Thanks for commenting. I am not an expert and will never be, so I appreciate your help.

So there is the PT. Next is the Maroon logo which I understand should be a gold block logo. The rest seams fairly correct, though the restoration by PP is not documented. The price is quite high with the PT issues and of course the missing documentation. But there are others ones which come close on the net. But with import tax it is just becoming ridiculous high.

I guess the only way to become an owner of such an amp is either paying a high price or be connected.

neikeel likes this.
  14. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Pffft

Import tax is for people who declare true current value for some incomprehensible reason.

Why would you declare 100x MSRP on a customs form???? Google up a catalog and "earnestly" declare the 200 bucks or whatever it cost back when it first sold

PS and feel free to NOT use 1960s exchange rates, dollars bought ~3.5x more yen back then

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  15. Rod

Rod Member

Ya but it’s $21K

jstich and Adieu like this.
  16. Madfinger

Madfinger Active Member

31k Aus. :shock: Def not something you would take to a pub gig.

jstich likes this.
  17. CptZar

CptZar Member

I am kind of stuck with early PTs. It is easy to spot a RS OT. Horseshoe Yes/No.

Lots of early PT's look like Drakes but they should be RSs.

Did the RSs fail a lot or do I miss something.

Thanks for help!

18. jstich

jstich Active Member

To the OP; have you heard of shopping around? Or are these that rare that 21 grand is reasonable?

19. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"Restore Model"?

It's been all re-soldered, etc. not original condition. I think maybe $4000.00 USD.

If you find one that's totally untouched, and works, I think maybe $10,000 USD.

20. jstich

jstich Active Member

I love Japan but thats one of the last places on earth id like to buy a marshall from.Im in the USA.I wouldnt risk language misunderstandings be a factor in something I spend 21 grand on either.