Jose Arredondo 1977 Amp Surfaces In Bay Area Abandoned Studio

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Steven Stone, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

upload_2019-3-28_20-5-41.png

upload_2019-3-28_20-7-10.png

upload_2019-3-28_20-8-8.png

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

3. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

It does feel staged, no explanation about how this room full of gear sits unmolested in the middle of a city. Abandoned? It’s probably his own gear that he’s been collecting over the years, he’s certainly old enough to have bought it new.

4. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Are you sure you have the right Jose Arrendondo....

José Juan Arredondo (born March 12, 1984)

This one was not born yet to help EVH....

5. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

It was a complex real estate situation. I ended up with the property. Up on the hill was a building that was locked up and had been abandoned I was told for a long time. The previous owners I only spoke to very briefly and they had not owned the property very long. They just had no reason or interest to go up there.

6. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

It's not in the middle of a city. It was abandoned for quite some time. How long I don't know. It is now all my gear, thank you. However, the only reason I came to this forum was by a post on the facebook page and that there was information here on Jose Arredondo. I posted some pics and questions about this amp hoping to find out something about it. I had no idea who Arredondo was or knew zero about him. On that Arredondo thread here in this site, several of your members encouraged me to post a separate thread about this documentary I have undertaken. If you don't like what I am doing that is fine, but I thought it could be informative and of interest to people who like music from the analog era of recording etc. I'm not doing this to make money etc... I would make more money just fixing and selling the property.

wakjob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

The electrician said there was 220 running out to the building and he restored that. He did some work at the panel down below. I don't know exactly what he did, I am not an electrician by trade. I just wanted power up there and it's working.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. boola1

boola1 Active Member

Please can you take photos of the circuit board of the amp?

9. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

Someone might have died, gone to prison, bad divorce, didn't pay their rent.. I don't know. To be honest I am not that interested in opening up some can of worms or someone claiming it's all theirs and while I am in the right legally to everything on the property... I don't need the drama. I just thought this would be interesting to document. I am no video expert or movie director. I just wanted to do the best I could at telling this story, whatever it turns out to be. If members here have ideas on how I should better present this, I am all ears. Just doing the best I can with an iphone and a very basic video editing software set up.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  10. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

No, because this amp has no circuit board in it. It was made during the hand wiring era. We looking into the top of it the other day and there was another sticker from Jose's shop with some additional information, but we will have to open it up to really take a look. My friend is an amp tech and confirmed that it has been modded. He is very interested in documenting the electronics inside of it. There are also many other vintage amps in there, Fender Twin, Super Reverb, some very old tube stereo amps etc. A lot of stuff to go through. I just have to take this all one step at a time. I am learning a lot already and look forward to getting this studio back up and running properly.

11. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

This is all I am doing. Go through the stuff bit by bit. Fix, restore when necessary. Work toward restoring this room to functionality. Would be great to see younger musicians in here working someday. Would be great to find interesting music from the deep past on the reel to reel tapes. I just thought I would share this. I am not selling anything, not now, not later. I really don't need the money... even if the contents were worth 50K, that's not that big a deal to me for that matter. While I do appreciate people's input, or pointing out that there is some gear from the 1990's or whatever, I certainly didn't come here to endlessly defend what I am doing etc. I will say again that I was directed here from a facebook post to get more information on Jose Arredondo. I mean it is interesting that I have one of his amps here, correct? So to stay on point, maybe I should not have started this thread. It was some of the other members here who suggested it because they thought it would be interesting on it's own as a documentary. I was posting some stuff on one of the Arredondo threads here.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  12. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

You certainly seem to know more than I do. I can't rule anything out at this point. The fact this amp is in a recording studio, there are stacks of tapes from the 1970's, it's certainly possible that that amp was played by some great players over the years. Wouldn't it be cool to find out? Maybe the amp was in LA for years, NYC, London. Who knows? Who is saying the amp is going to make someone play better? Not me. There are still locked steel cabinets in the studio. Maybe there are receipts in there... track sheets, more tapes, pots of gold, I have no idea. I'll get to it when I get to it. I do appreciate your knowledge even if you disapprove of my documenting this studio.

13. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

The Marshall facebook page sent me here for info on Jose Arredondo. I never knew this site existed. The Arredondo thread guys suggested multiple times I start an independent thread about this. From here, it got send over to some other site, Gearpage I think. I'm not a gear head. I am a decent guitar player, and love music and worked in a couple studios way back, so this all really interested me. A lot of other people might have just had a big Saturday morning garage sale for this stuff. Even many of the younger kids these days have no idea what a reel to reel even is. As far as details, I have no idea what you mean.. but the "History Channel" hasn't called me yet just in case you were wondering. They are still looking for gold on "Oak Island" six years into it. :fingersx:

14. Steven Stone

Steven Stone Member

It hasn't even been a month. I shot a couple videos and asked some questions on a few facebook groups... Fender, Marshall, Gibson....etc.. folks there led me here. Nothing more. I can assure you the amps are not just cardboard cut outs or fake backdrops. The guitars are real, the tape machines, etc.. I find it strange people think it's a hoax or something. Did I just go out and buy all this stuff so I could show people how to install bridal straps in a piano or install a guitar bridge on youtube?

15. boola1

boola1 Active Member

It was not made during the hand wiring era. That ended in 1973. It should have a PCB unless the original has been ripped out and been completely rebuilt.

Please can you open it up and take some photos? The experts here will give you a full run down of all changes within a few hours.

16. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Will there be a Happy Ending?

17. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

CSI DUDE!

stringtree likes this.
  18. anitoli

Why would anyone buy property and have no interest in going there? Seriously?

stringtree likes this.
  19. anitoli

#1, me. I could care less about this speculation garbage that just seems to go round and round about certain "historical" figures that just had all the magic in their fingertips that made certain "historical" players sound sooooooooooo great. Most studios in the 70's only had Fender amps, if you wanted something else you had to bring it. So, did Jose mod all of these too?

stringtree and 67Mopar like this.
  20. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"Incredible find, my ass. This is staged."

:lol:

"Jose Arredondo 1977 Amp Surfaces"

zzzzzzz...:shrug:...zzzzzzz...:shrug:....zzzzzzz...:shrug:...zzzzzzz....:shrug:...zzzzzzz.......

I think a New Religion amp will eat that Arredondo for breakfast. (burp)

stringtree and 67Mopar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.