Joined A Covers Band And Am Putting Together A Small Pedal Board

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by AlanH, Feb 10, 2018.

1. AlanH

AlanH Active Member

Hi all

I've been a home player for years and have never really been in a proper band. I've always wanted to and, coinciding with my mid-life crisis, I've recently joined a newly forming band that's going to be doing covers of anything from '60s to present day and across a range of genres. I have a bunch of pedals and am now putting together a small board for playing out with my DSL40C. To finish off what I think I really need as a minimum for gigging I've just ordered a Polytune Mini Noir tuner to replace my crappy Artec tuner pedal and also a Pedal Train Nano Plus to put everything on.

I'm thinking my live rig will be something like.....

Guitar 1 - transported in a hard shell case: EITHER Gibson LP Signature 2014; OR Gibson SG Special Faded; OR Gibson LP '50s Tribute
    Guitar 2 - transported in a gig bag over my back: '86 Yamaha SE350 HSS Superstrat (a killer guitar)
    Amp: DSL40C set up for a nearly breaking up early '70s clean tone on the Classic Crunch channel and an '80s rock tone on Lead 1. Footswitch for channel and reverb.
    Pedaltrain Nano Plus pedal board: Front end- Biyang CO-10 Compressor (for funky or jangly stuff) > Digitech Bad Monkey (set up as a clean boost for solos) > Joyo Ultimate Drive (set up to add more OD and compression to either DSL channel above). Into the loop- Poytune Mini Noir > Marshall RG-1 Regenerator (for chorus, flanger, phaser and univibe) > MXR Carbon Copy analog delay

For transport I think I'm going to strap the Pedaltrain bag to the guitar gig bag as I've seen photos like that on the web. My DSL Footswitch will be transported in the bottom of my amp rather than on the pedal board as I wanted to keep the board small. I'll also keep my Joyo British Sound pedal in the bottom of my amp just in case.

What do you reckon folks? Any thoughts, advice or tips for improving the rig or making it more flexible?

(Pedals that haven't made it on - Joyo Sweet Baby, Artec EQ/Tuner, Joyo US Dream, Tone City Golden Plexi, a Yamaha Digital Delay from the '80s, Biyang RV10 Reverb)

Cheers

Alan

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

No. Rock on.
    BP

3. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a plan!

4. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

If I may suggest, get yourself a decent noise gate pedal. I have the Boss and it's great, really cleans it all up to where you don't hear the amp hissing when I'm not playing but doesn't screw up my tone in any way. Also, just from my personal preference, I don't like Compressor guitar pedals. If it works for you then go for it, I just have never liked them. If you want your more jangly parts to shine try grabbing a BBE Sonic Maximizer. Really great for clean parts

AlanH likes this.
  5. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Personally, I think you should add Cry Baby out front and an equalizer into the loop.

AlanH likes this.
  6. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I reckon the most important one is the tuner. And with those other pedals I think you have most things covered for a start with the band given that you have them, plenty to jam and rehearse with and then review once you start gigs.

One question will be whether you put your mod and delay pedals in the amps FX loop, and how well they work there (can they deal with the signal voltages in the loop?). Also, youll find out how you get on with all the mod sounds on one pedal, or do you want a separate one for one or two of them.

AlanH likes this.
  7. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

I agree with the eq and a wah, as they were the first things I thought of. I love an eq in the loop for leads, and final tone shaping if needed. It works wonders for lead work, whether clean or dirty. Put it last in the loop chain. The wah, may or may not be needed depending on what you play. I have one on my board and don't use it much, but on a few songs, it's needed. I will sometimes use it in my own solo work.

AlanH and mirrorman like this.
  8. AlanH

AlanH Active Member

I took delivery of my Polytune Mini Noir yesterday and finally put the Pedaltrain Nano Plus board together. Having finally moved allegiances over to Imgur from Photobucket I'm attempting uploading an image from a link.

[​IMG]

Apologies for the image from my crappy phone.

9. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

My suggestion...try a joyo Vintage OD in place of the bad monkey. I have both.

Vintage OD nails the tubescreamer thing, gets a regular place on my "space." Bad monkey stays in a box.

Also the joyo sweet baby...you might like that more than the Ultimate Drive. I have both...but suspect with a DSL I wouldn't use the ultimate drive (it's too similar). The sweet baby is that "little touch more" of kinda smokey blues or Hendrix on top of say the green DSL channel.

AlanH likes this.
  10. gearninja

gearninja Active Member

Looks good that'll work. Slap a wah in there if needed!

AlanH likes this.
  11. gearninja

gearninja Active Member

He's just using it as a boost so not sure if that's necessary. I have a BM, good enough for PhilX, good enough for me lol. Oh and used was 35 bucks :cheers:

AlanH likes this.
  12. AlanH

AlanH Active Member

I have a Sweet Baby. I do love the extra hair and touch sensitivity but I kind of decided to go with the Ultimate Drive as I wanted to have one drive pedal almost working like an extra channel while my BM would be the clean boost for solos. The Sweet Baby is currently an always on pedal in my solid state practice rig to give it more articulation and tube-like sound. I'll no doubt switch a few things back and forth as I experiment though.

gearninja and Crunchifyable like this.