John Sykes tone.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by midgo, Dec 4, 2009.

1. midgo

midgo New Member

Right here goes!!

Am i the only one or does anyone else think that Sykes is grossly underrated!! He has huge chops, a mega tone, amazing feel and out of this world vibrato!!
    Anyone agree?
    Whitesnake 87 has in my opinion, the best rock tone ever. Just ballsy, chunky, sustainy and excitement inducing! ha ha!! As much as i admire Vai, the playing and tone on 87 kills slip of the tongue (once again just my opinion!)

Obviously the same stuff comes up re- tone, in the hands, guitar (les paul, of course), micing, engineers, aligning of planets etc!! However i think he might of used a jcm 800 of some sort on 87, but im not sure.
    Does anyone have any idea what was used for that album or for that matter any info that is interesting about Sykes.

Cheers.

2. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

radiomatts and medicjg like this.
  3. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

John has one of my favorite tones...punchy as all hell and his pinch harmonics rule...just one listen to "Black Rose" live says it all...if you have never heard it send me an e-mail addy and i'll send it to ya...Fucking incredible

4. The Luke

The Luke New Member

Sykes is definitely one hell of a guitarist. Shame him and Coverdale didn't get on long enough for their to be many live vids of them playing the 1987 album tracks.
    I recall Reading somewhere that he mainly used a Mesa Mark IIC+ for most of that album though. But I hear he went back to Marshalls - namely a Jose modded 50w JCM800.
    This thread had a bit about it

5. JonasAberg

JonasAberg New Member

I seem to recall an interview where he mentioned he used his black Les Paul custom a lot on that album, and that at the time it had a dirty fingers pickup in the bridge (I think)

6. wegman

wegman Member

Not far frome the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field
    I was just listening to the Whitesnake album the other day and I was thinking damn, this guy has got incredible tone. I was going to post a thread but didn't. I am glad you did.

Sykes is totally under rated. Not only can rip but his mellow parts are just great. He has excellent feel.

He used 200 watt Mesa Coliseum heads on that album and for touring.

Very talented person

7. midgo

midgo New Member

Ha Ha !! It's great to see that there are numbers of you guys that feel the same, i've always though this guy never get's the recognition he deserves and yeah NewReligion, i failed to even mention his awesome vocals. Which actually brings up another question/ thought.

On 1987 that is Sykes singing the back ups isn't it, im pretty sure it was?, and at least Coverdale was smart enough to bring them right up in the mix.

8. NewReligion

I tried to embed a youtube video of Sykes playing and singing Still of the Night but the entry tells me that someone has disabled that function by request. I must have pissed someone off.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWn_p0jxGMs[/ame]

plexilespaul likes this.
  9. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Just copy the url, don't embed it and see if that works. I never embed them when I post here but at HCAF I have to.

10. NewReligion

Thank you. I found a different copy that will work.

David

11. j2112c

j2112c Well-Known Member

If you want a link for the out takes and rehearsal of the 1987 album would you believe it, I have it.. he he he.... God I have all sorts in my 'pit', it would be nice to share it, you are all more than welcome, send me your email on personal message as I do not want to put it up on forum.

It is interesting because you hear JS tone with out all the studio trickery, it actually uses a lot of chorus, also there are some solos missing, where he just plays the rhythm backing and that is quite nice to hear on its own.

Ok, I am retuning to my lair.. tara.

12. j2112c

j2112c Well-Known Member

Oh just wanted to add that there are 9 rehearsal out-takes, (they use a drum machine on a few... http://www.marshallforum.com/images/smilies/wtf.gif? There are another 4 tracks that have other guitarists in a live US show, not sure which though it sounded like Vandenberg/Campbell?

13. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

I agree - the tone and playing on that album is absolutely amazing. Truly a reference album.

That tone was achieved with Mesa Coliseum amps for most of the album. As for Marshalls, I'm not sure that he even used any for that tone.

14. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

This whole time I thought he used Marshall for that bad ass tone...

15. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Is there any other live dvd's of him for sale etc ??
    Sykes rocks for sure !!!

16. midgo

midgo New Member

Yeah i was wondering the same, i was even hoping that there would be a live DVD from the Thin Lizzy touring through the 2000's, but to my knowledge there isn't anything.

17. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

i have 2 shows from the Whitesnake era in a stack of 2-300 dvd's. i have two tunes posted on Youtube already...i wish i could post whole shows as i have some great and rare stuff in my collection

18. willwallner

willwallner Active Member

This is a recent Sykes show

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBpcWH4Apk4]YouTube - John Sykes Bad boys live ( blue murder )[/ame]

Hes plugging his Les Paul straight into a JCM 800 50 Watt Head. I'm a huge Sykes fan. I believe he actually uses Jose Modded JCM 800 50 Watt NMV with 4 inputs. I think it must have originally been a JCM 800 1987(x) or something like that He has two of them on stage and runs them both as half stacks. One is a back up if the other fails.

19. midgo

midgo New Member

wow!! Will that was awesome, god he makes it look easy!! Mendoza's backups are great too. And what about Aldridge he's an animal! It's funny how these guys constantly get gigs playing these songs through Coverdale and Sykes, Good work to have a claim on ha ha!

20. j2112c

j2112c Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, Derek Sherinian on the Keyboard! Now he has some good stuff in his back catalogue too.

Thanks for posting the Vid pompey boy, liked your playing, don't forget your sun cream over there!

There are some studio recordings of Thin Lizzy out takes from the Thunder and Lightning album, but I have not got my mits on them, if I do I will let you all know. If you have them please let me know.