JMP ceramic tube socket mounting plates, know where to get them?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Matthews Guitars, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm in need of the mounting plates for these sockets. I think I bought a set recently but have no idea where I got them from and so far my searches haven't found them yet, either.

I don't need the sockets themselves. I'm stocked deep on those, WITH the spring lock rings, but I could sure use the mounting plates to go with them.

Got any suggestions?

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

These are oversized sockets that were only used for 1-2 production runs.
    The easiest replacement is Amphenol. You can also use Millen Sockets which fit the same hole.
    The wavy washer and retaining ring were sold with the sockets, and also as extra parts.

The wavy washer and retaining ring (C-ring) can be purchased at a good hardware store or a good auto shop machine supply.
    I have bought the parts at a hardware store.
    The mounting flange and the washer and retainer can be re-used from an old socket.
    There is 8 of them here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pin-Vacu...762727&hash=item2621f5b6d2:g:~-kAAOSwPvFdLMgv

You can buy the plastic sockets which use the same mounting hardware.

millen octal socket.jpg
    The hardware is removable from the socket and can be re-used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pin-Octa...216197?hash=item1a89277d05:g:6OIAAOSwyS9dzvz6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-8-Pin-...238734?hash=item1a61a3414e:g:U~YAAOSwz3FcL76u

Hardware "without" the socket: I don't know, you will probably need to buy the whole thing and remove the hardware.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  3. Matthews Guitars

I'm looking for a signiificant quantity of them. I have about 80 of the correct ceramic sockets WITH the waffle springs, but no plates.

Here's the part that's driving me nuts: A few months back I BOUGHT a set of four of those plates. And I have no idea where I got them from,
    and searching all the usual suspects has come up blank.

I'll talk to my sheet metal guy who does my JMP front and rear repro panels for me. They can make this plate for me in quantity. I think I can make a first run of a hundred or so with his help.

Incidentally, I found that this plate is an Amphenol part and included with Amphenol phenolic socket part number 78RS8T.

4. Matthews Guitars