JMP 2204 vs JCM 800

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by dro, Dec 8, 2019.

1. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Forgive me as I'm sure this has probably been covered before. But I was on TGP getting ready to reply on this topic. But I didn't have permission. "WELL, I NEVER". The argument was weather the JMP sounded better than the JCM or not. Having owned both, my response would have been.

I had the JCM 800 212 combo vertical input first. This amp sounded amazing. Never had anything that would drive like that.

Next I picked up a JMP 2204. equally stunning difference was bigger bottom due to 1960bv cab.
    Ended up selling the JCM 800 only because of lack of room in studio.

Was not using either amp live. only for unmatched OD on recordings.

I do like the all Tolex look of JMP but when it all comes down to it. It was the 412 I liked better than the 212.

The ambient mic from across the room from the 412 really had a larger than life sound.

So there's my reply

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It is basically the same amp. Both are great . It’s all good

79 2203, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  3. dro

dro Well-Known Member

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

It’s basically the same BUT they do sound different! I love them both. The JMP is more organic and jangly sounding while the JCM is a bit more firm raw sounding it that makes sense?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Never owned a JMP but would like to some day. :yesway:

6. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

I own both with 6550 tubes. The '83 JCM seems to drive a little higher due to the higher plate voltage. Both are very organic in tone and take pedals well. I cannot come close to hitting the sweet spot with the master volume (4-6) so I have to settle for 1-2 on the master thinning out the tone. I've attenuated for gigs though.

7. David Szabados

David Szabados New Member

In general the JMP versions tend to be a touch less aggressive/bright/gainy compared with the JCM 800 equivalents. It’s pretty subtle though as the circuit itself is identical. Could be from a mix of different plate voltages or the fact that the component types changed over the years. I like and have them both.

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  8. 79 2203

79 2203 Active Member

I've got 2203's from 79,80, and 82, and a 82 4104 with 12-65's. All the heads can be dialed in to be nearly identical but there are subtle differences. The 80 is actually the brightest, most aggressive while the 82 is a tad fatter but clearer (lower bright cap value maybe). The 79 is a little rattier, more old school. The 82 4104 is definitely the most vintage....sort of rock n roll compared to the 2203's hard rock but that's probably down to the open back combo,the mids of those speakers, and the lower wattage. All great amps.

9. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

I also have a 4104 made in '83. It came with 70's which I promptly sold and put in WGS 65's speakers. Last year I lucked out and found some period correct '83 65's. I gigged with it on/off for a few years but now use it for one of my band rehearsal amps. It's just to heavy to lug around anymore. It's been my favorite amp for years but the most impractical at the same time. It has old Tungsol power tubes and Tungsgram preamp tubes which sound great. I bring my dolly when I have to move it which helps. It's the set of stairs i can't get around. I like 1x12 combos or 2x12 cabs with a head. I'm thinking on selling it which I'll most likely regret as the JCM 800 series is my favorite amp by far. Plan on replacing with a Friedman DSM and Dr Z Maz 18NR.

79 2203 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The main difference in the old Marshall amps up to the jcm 800 is in the the first stage. The gain stage after that are really all the same . Thar are small differences. It is like one amp with different mods

79 2203 likes this.