Jmp-1h Tone Stack

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by indeedido, Aug 17, 2016.

1. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    I'm thinking about picking up a JMP-1H and I'm curious what owners think about not having a mid control. I'm fond of the mid control and presence and I'm curious if you guys that own one ever miss them. Yeah there's outboard gear you can add to it, but I'm curious about plug and play aspect.

2. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Not the same amp, but the only thing I really miss having on my C5 is a presence control.

The Ozzk and tonetrain like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I suggest you look at the JVM1, its got a little more going than the JMP1 and sounds fantastic.

4. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

I thought about the JVM1, but I'm thinking about selling my YJM100 and buying a Mini Jubilee Head and a JMP1 for my more classic tones.

5. schwa

schwa Active Member

I have a JMP1 head, and it's my favorite 1 watter. The gain curve is awesome, a bit gainier than a proper JMP, but similar. The boost channel is also very usable and a nice feature for "modded JMP" sounds.

If there's a liability on this amp it is the EQ. The mids. are pretty forward, and the bass is a little shy. In fact, bringing the bass up also increases the mids.

There are ways around it. First of all, if you play through a 4x12, it balances out. It's not an accident that Marshall demoed these with 4x12's. I don't have a 4x12, but speaker choice can compensate - the scooped character of the T75 helps vs. a middy speaker like a greenback. I also am using a parametric EQ to boost the bass and cut the mids.

I think the JMP1 is an awesome amp - the best solution I've found for getting NMV Marshall sounds at home. The JTM1 and Offset 1 watters are also very nice amps, and don't have the EQ issue with small cabs. I don't like their gain curve as much though.

indeedido likes this.
  6. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Thanks, just what I was looking for.