JMP-1

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Chrome, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Chrome

Chrome Active Member

tell me more about this amp. its a pre amp? can I use it and output signal straight to mixing console (without a speaker cab)? what amp does it compare to? our band is thinking of stream lining our stage. in ear monitors, rack mounted amps. less humping equipment. please tell me your thoughts.

2. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

First off, are you referring to the JMP-1H/C (Head or Combo)1 watt 50th anniversary amp or the rack mountable JMP-1 valve midi preamp?
    A quick answer would be yes, you can on both but they both would not sound very good that way.

3. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

There are much, MUCH better options out there for what you are trying to do. Really comes down to your budget. I’ve had several JMP-1 preamps and I am a fan, just not for the application you describe.

4. Chrome

Chrome Active Member

I honestly don't know if I'm a fan or not. just a discussion from other members, so I decided to get opinions. thanks guys

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

There are youtube vis on jmp-1's (the preamp from the 90's not the little heads). Look for ones with SS power amps like the 8008. You need to factor in speaker effect and any bs the presenter adds, like external effects.

They were pretty dear and much hyped when they came out but never took off because most people don't love the sounds and don't do midi. A 9001 is a similar device without the midi and about half the $ of a jmp1.

If you ditched speakers and power amp you would run the preamp into your pa/desk and rely on foldback or earpieces to hear yourself. This will be the case for any preamp only setup.

Depending on the style of music you play you might need a processor/modeler of some sort.

Billy Gibbons apparently toured for a time, and even recorded with, a lead 12 (5005). On tour he ran it as a preamp into an 8008 or similar. You could take a line out from a 3005 or 5005 into your pa/desk and go from there. Assuming your after typical marshall sounds...

I guess you need to decide:

What style of music/what sounds ?

What other gear you are integrating with ?

Before you can decide.

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

they can work in a very minimalist way, if that's what you're after. That said, you can do minimal, or complex w/ them, it's up to you. Each has it's advantages/compromises.

Plugging straight into the JMP & running straight into a board, limits your stage sound/monitoring to whatever you get in the stage monitors. No frills. The advantage is, you can fit the JMP into a briefcase & walk in w/ that & plug in.

The more complex you get, the more stuff you end up loading in & having to keep track of. The advantage is you get more custom sounds, etc., to your liking.

The thing though, is that there are many other options now, than that, as it was produced 25+ years ago (1992). It's built like a tank though & it is Marshall, akin to the JCM900 series.

If that's what you want, then this could be the ticket for you.

Jon C likes this.
  7. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

If I wanted to try what the OP is describing and not break the bank ……I would grab a NU>X Solid Studio IR Loader & Power Amp simulator

8. Chrome

Chrome Active Member

I’m a no frills player, southern rock, not much use for pedals other than a wah and a tuner. I mostly depend on my playing technique for tonal changes. It’s just something I’m exploring

9. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Active Member

What your seeking is a modeler. Breifly, in the last 5 years, a box that gives you TRULY the sound of an amp and speaker has advanced by leaps and bounds. I still prefer my real marshall heads, but when a venue has decent monitors the convenience of a modeler overrides my slight preference for the real amps. I am a huge marsahll fan and have many heads. I have tried the major modelers (Fractal, line6, etc) and I settled on the Atomic Amps AA3. If your needs are really simple, Atomic Amps makes the Firebox. Tough to beat price wise ($299 NEW) and the tones are second to none (imho). These little devices sound simply amazing for what they are and what they cost, and yes, you plug them directly into the pa/monitors and thats it.

10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

do note that it's akin to a 2 channel amp. While you can make a bunch of channel patches, the OD channels won't clean up & the clean channel won't dirty.

It depends on where your playing tones lie. IMO, the OD channels aren't very fat, when you start lowering the gain.

Nothing like running a JMP style, or other single channel tube amp....

Frodebro likes this.
  11. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

in your case I'd suggest you to look for things like the AX8, Helix, Mooer GE200/250/300, Kemper... Using IRs will lead you to a better tone.

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

The cleans are pretty darn good, and the dirty channels embody all that is glorious about 80s metal, but I agree that this is the extent of what the JMP-1 does (very) well. There is no fat AC/DC grind to be found anywhere in it.

Jon C likes this.