JFX-1, no effects

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Hillbilly Heartthrob, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Hillbilly Heartthrob

Hillbilly Heartthrob New Member

Hi all. A few weeks ago I posted a thread that I was in the market for a JFX-1. I found a nice one and it arrived while I was out of town. Today I was able to put in in my rack that consists of Furman power conditioner, Korg PB tuner, Marshall JMP-1 preamp, and Marshall EL-34 100/100 power amp. I have normal sound but no effects. I've triple checked the connections as follows: guitar>tuner>JMP-1 preamp input>JMP-1 effects send>JFX-1 input>JFX-1 L/R output>JMP-1 L/R effects return...Then JMP-1 L/R mains>EL34 100/100 A/B inputs>EL34 100/100 A/B loudspeaker outputs>1960 4X12 cabinet. I did test the battery on the JFX-1 and the OSD says that it is low.

What gives? I've got normal sound from the JMP-1 through the entire chain, just no effects from the JFX-1. Hopefully it's something simple that I've overlooked and I'll take any embarrassment that may result lol. Thanks a mill!

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

effects parameter?

upload_2019-7-11_16-3-27.png

what settings on the JFX?

You need to run the effects as dry-kill, so only the effects come through, then you use the JMP-1 to blend in the effects...

Some people prefer to use the effects after the JMP-1 output, inbetween the JMP & the EL34 xx/xx power amp. The effects loop is finnicky, but, once you figure it out, it works good for me.

Try changing the battery 1st, just to dismiss that as a potential issue...

(edit): also, everything in the JMP-1 has a pad button to match impedance (+4 / -20)

upload_2019-7-11_16-2-4.png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Michael Roe likes this.
  3. Hillbilly Heartthrob

That was it. Once I pressed the effect button and gave the data knob a turn, the JFX came to life. I plan on replacing the battery tomorrow.
    Thank you for the help!:cheers:

Michael Roe and Dogs of Doom like this.
  4. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

wait, so your using the JFX-1 just for the effects?

So the JMP-1 has better tones then the JFX-1?

I thought the JFX-1 was a JMP-1 with effects added, a step up from the JMP-1 all in a nice little 1 space rack?

Ive wanted to try one for years but if the guitar tones arnt as good as the JMP-1 then ill check that off my list. I dont mind the effects unit i have now but all i use is delay and chorus and they seem simple enough to pack into the older unit.

5. Dogs of Doom

JMP-1 & JFX-1
    [​IMG]

the JFX is simply an effects processor, not a pre-amp. It was made to go w/ the JMP...

jstich and Michael Roe like this.
  6. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I'm a JMP-1 user as well. I have never been able to find a JFK-1 while owning a JMP-1. Well, at least not for a reasonable price. Would love to find one again someday. I did have a JFX-1 way back in the late 90's to use with a 6100 LE head. I loved the sound of that FX unit. It was so easy to use and the sounds were just....right for guitar. No, tons of BS parameters to edit. It just sounded good with little effort is what I remember.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  7. Hillbilly Heartthrob

Thank you Dogs of Doom for the help. I've had some time to begin the familiarization process. So far the JMP-1 and JFX-1 sound fantastic together and this system will peel the paint off the walls:dude: The cleans are breathtaking, imo. Thanks again, man.

upload_2019-7-11_21-16-21.jpeg

upload_2019-7-11_21-17-53.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. Michael Roe

Can you move that rack by yourself, lol, :)
    Those power amps are beastly! I had a 5881 version many years ago. It sounded killer but dam that was just way too heavy. I found it easier to just use a JCM 2K DSL as a power amp.

9. Michael Roe

One thing I could never understand is why Marshall didn't include a programmable relay switch on the JMP-1 to switch the voicing on those power amps. Would have made that setup so much more versatile.

10. Hillbilly Heartthrob

Ha! it's VERY heavy. I can only move it short distances by myself, but I am on the "husky" side lol
    I also think they made a midi foot controller specific to the JMP back in the day, but I imagine that'd be pretty hard to find nowadays.

Michael Roe likes this.
  11. Michael Roe

Yes, there was a footswitch but it's so much better to use a midi controller footswitch. With the Marshall footswitch you can only switch between OD 1, OD 2, Cln 1 & Cln 2. With a midi footswitch you can switch between any of the 100 presets. So, you could in theory have 100 versions of OD 1 with any EQ, volume, gain or FX on/off or amount. I use a TC Electronic G-System to control my JMP-1. Kind of overkill really because I only use like 4 presets. 1- clean with chorus and verb, 2- plexi type gain, 3- main rhythm gain ch and 4- lead ch with verb and delay.
    BTW, if you ever try using a midi controller with it keep in mind the JMP-1 has a preset 00. This can be a bit confusing when setting up presets with other gear. Most other gear starts at preset 01. So, in the settings it can through you for a loop until you figure it out.

Hillbilly Heartthrob likes this.
  12. Dogs of Doom

Not a midi foot control, but a typical Marshall style 4 button. You can use midi controllers though & switch through a lot more channels.

Typically, you would have to program a channel. Map the midi control within the unit, then make sure it worked w/ the effects unit. It was very clunky & so I never really messed w/ it.

There are threads on here, discussing using a midi controller w/ it.

13. Dogs of Doom

that's not entirely true. You can create any 4 channels to switch through. So, you can have 4 clean channels, 4 OD channels, or any combination. You are just limited to 4 channels to choose from though...

14. Hillbilly Heartthrob

^^^ That's really about all I need.

15. Hillbilly Heartthrob

Here is something strange I have found on this particular JFX. When powered off via the the power conditioner, the unit reverts to Japanese and a reset (hold the down arrow and store buttons while turning the unit on) is required to bring it back to English. I don't see anywhere in the manual where it describes changing the language. Weird

16. Michael Roe

Ok, my bad, I didn't know that. I had always thought or read somewhere that the Marshall footswitch was rather useless with the JMP-1. I have never tried one in person.
    You are right about the midi being clunky. I haven't had to do it in years. From what I remember: if you want your midi controller, the JMP-1 and another FX processor to all be on like preset 3. You have to set it up like 3-2-3 instead of 3-3-3. It's something to do with that preset 0 if I am remembering correctly.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  17. Michael Roe

That is strange? maybe needs a new battery?

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  18. Dogs of Doom

you might check w/ someone about changing the battery. Hopefully it'll be able to be restored to english. I know Trace at Voodoo says that when he does mod's, he downloads the JMP-1 info, then reloads it after he's done.

IDK how that works w/ the JFX.

19. Dogs of Doom

btw: I still have my footswitch, that I got w/ the unit back in 1992... :)...

20. Hillbilly Heartthrob

Yep, it may be the battery. The display says that it is low, but it's "full bars" low:mrburns: I'm going to look into it and I'll report back on whether the battery is soldered in, type, etc.