Jet City JCA20 doing Marshall tones?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by jchrisf, Oct 31, 2019.

1. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

Anyone know how well this amp does Marshall tones? I saw this recent video of a modded one and it sounds great. Might be a good, cheap amp to get to mod inexpensively.

stringtree and J Saw like this.
  2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The jet city is slo 100 clone. The preamp is gain stage molded 2204. So should sound close to it

3. shooto

shooto Well-Known Member

They are awesome amps

steveb63 and jchrisf like this.
  4. jchrisf

I found a BFG modded one for a decent price at GC so I bought it. I hope GC doesn't let me down this time.

J Saw likes this.
  5. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Aren't they basically a Modded Marshall Pre-amp into a Fender/Mesa type power section.

6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I stumbled on 2 Jet City 100w amps yesterday at the Warwick, RI Guitar Center. They looked in great shape except one was missing the 333 logo in the front. I'm not really sure what the deal was but I think they wanted about $500 a head. If you took both you could probably get a good deal. They looked like they came from the same guy and were very well taken care of, real clean. They have a ton of stuff there right now so if your really interested it might be a good time to buy. I don't know what they are worth or how good they are, but they look like 2 very good examples of this amp. They are close enough to me to pick them up and hold them for a month or so if you want to drive here, depending how close to RI you are.

jchrisf likes this.
  7. jchrisf

Thanks ampeq but that seems a little high on the price. I almost bought a new one a couple of years ago on sale for $250. Honestly though, for me, all I need is a 20 watt.. modded they are great bedroom amps. I got my BFG modded JCA22 head a couple of weeks ago and I love it. It sounds better than the Splawn I had for a third of the cost. But thanks very much for the offer :dude:

8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

No sweat, I just happened in there and saw them in the used pile. I thought of you and the one you bought, these are very clean and say "Designed By Soldono" on them. The only tag I could find said $499 but I don't know what it was for? One amp, both amps, who knows. I could do some in-depth if you were interested, but I'm not up on them at all right now, these are 100w and say 333 on the front. If you need more info I'll help you out. Two 100w amps are really more for the living room than the bedroom though.

9. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

One day people will realise if you want an affordable Jose modded Marshall there’s no need to look any further than any EVH amp .

10. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

Or one of Ceriatone`s hot-rodded Marshall-type amps--it looks like they have 18 different models available!
    http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/hot-rodded-plexi/

Ufoscorpion likes this.
  11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I don't know how they keep track of all the models they have, and they just keep adding them.

wntbtw likes this.
  12. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Just for the history of the designs sake;

The Soldano preamp is much like a 2203 but with an extra 12AX7 tube added. Each 12AX7 type tube is actually two tubes in one. One half of the extra tube adds gain, increasing the number of cascaded gain stages from three to four. The other half is a "cold clipper." This means that it has a great big 39k resistor between the cathode and ground and gives the triode a very cold bias. This causes it to distort the crap out of 1/2 of the wave form. At the time-1987- this was a revolutionary new design feature. The Mesa Rectifiers amps and the PV 5150 type amps copied this preamp design.

EVH began using Soldanos around 1988-89. But because Soldano was a boutique amp company that produced a low number of amps per year, he had PV design and mass produce an amp based on the Soldano.

The Jet City 22 uses an EL84 power amp. The original Soldano amp was designed to get all the gain and distortion in the preamp and the power amp to remain relatively clean. It used 6L6GC tubes.

jchrisf likes this.
  13. jchrisf

I've never heard a EVH amp that I liked.. they are not bad but don't do it for me. That little JCA in the video above I posted sounds great like most all Marshalls I've heard. I'm a modded Marshall guy. My JCA sounds like a modded JCM 800.. I love it.

wntbtw likes this.
  14. jchrisf

Thanks again ampeq.. that is very kind of you, however, I think my next amp is going to be a hand wired amp I build myself. It seems I like modded Marshalls so I want to learn how to build them and then mod them so I can find my tonal heaven on my own. I've been disappointed with every amp I've ever owned in some way or another (except the modded JCA) so it would be nice to be able to understand exactly what it is I like and even be able to get any Marshall style amp there if it is not already.

15. jchrisf

Very interesting.. this little amp has sparked my interest in learning all I can about tube amps and even building them myself.

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Good luck in your amp quest, you will have a lot of fun. I would start with Ceriatone kits and talk to Nik, you can learn a lot from him. Build something like a 2202 and see what it takes to bring it to a Chupa or SOY. Something that you can revoice and add drive to help you understand the amp itself. No amp will really do it all, I boiled it down to 3 and I like playing each one.

jchrisf likes this.
  17. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Have you played an EVH with the master volume on 4 or above ? I had a jca20h briefly a few years ago , it was pretty anemic , totally lacking balls imo .

18. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

If you want Marshall tones......buy a Marshall. It’s that simple.

19. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

some marshalls doesn't sound like a marshall...

jchrisf likes this.