JCM900 Hated - Why?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jul 23, 2019.

1. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

It uses led's on the normal channel and a bridge on the boost.

2. Fender

Fender Active Member

It's just not for everyone, but it had its qualities.
    diode clipping is a design choice, probably made because truckloads of diode clipping distorsion pedals were being sold at the time.
    It's a cool mod-platform anyway. You can get rid of what you find bad and transform it in some other marshall or even something very different.

tschrama likes this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I still find it funny people complain about clippers but have pedalboards with 30 pedals and hundreds of silicon components in them.

4. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

what's the basic difference between the two?

5. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

I run an EQ in the FX loop of my 4100DR, I have an 800 2203x right next to it, I think (more accurately: my ears think) it sounds just as good, a gainier 800, without the EQ I wouldn’t have agreed.

Ymmv, but I’m very happy with the 900, a lot of the cork sniffers have likely never played thru a 900 or if they did, it wasn’t biased correctly, or what not.

6. anitoli

The led's produce a softer type of clipping more along the lines of an overdrive whereas the diodes give you the hard clipping more like a pedal.

7. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

I thought the DR amps were opamp distortion not diodes?

8. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Either way, a DR with an MXR 10-band in the loop can be one of the heaviest cutting metal tones ever. It can bury a rectifier.

9. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Haven't posted yet on this thread but now I must say that after doing the simple Gravenmade mod
    (@tschrama member ) this amp was one of the best amp I ever had and had a lot !......but some tech screwed it up not knowing what he was doing when I asked him to install a thump mod ,.....I still remember how floored I was before he messed it up !!

tschrama likes this.
  10. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

This goes a long way to explaining the hate -related to the timing of their release. This was just when clubs really started to crack down on stage volume.

This observation brings up another angle to the rationale of many master volume amps: If it has to be plexi loud to deliver the goods then why not just play a plexi?

11. anitoli

The
    The op amps drive the diodes.

neikeel and K2JLX like this.
  12. ddaxe

ddaxe Active Member

You betcha.... that rig has raise a few eyebrows...

Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.
  13. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

Many thanks for intelligent and detailed review from a gigging user of the amp.

You should get points in heaven for that.

I don't play the same genres that you play but I have run into some of the same worries with the tone controls.

For some reason I have resisted the urge to blame the amp for any problems: I just imagined that I was supposed to make adjustments up front with pedals.

I wanted to say more but it's late and I'm tired.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Hence why most users recommend an eq in the loop. I found that the voodoo labs giggity pedal transforms this amp into what most would like. Gets rid of the fizz and makes it more tube like in channel b .

Crikey likes this.
  15. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Thanks Tubes. And I don't play the same songs I used to in the early 90's either! I'm not sure if that's a statement about the era's music or not but I tend the think we all somewhat evolve over the years while still holding special places for the various musical genres we either grew up on or grew to love in life.

As for you resisting any urge to blame the amp for any problems.. I do think we need to honestly judge amps by what they are as amps played on their own with little more than the guitar plugged in.
    I can't help but feel that if an amp requires additional things like separate EQ (which I in fact personally did use) & or pedals (either into an FX loop yadda yadda & or whatever what not & what have you) to make the amps sound good then we honestly are no longer simply judging the amp itself, but instead we are judging the amp with 'what ever' added to it to make it sound better to our ears.

If we are going to judge the amp I say we should judge the amp for what it does on its own & for what it is by letting it stand alone & speak for itself.

I guess what I'm getting at is the amps prior to the JCM 900 didn't need a separate EQ to sound 'better' so.. when comparing amps themselves (lets say to the JCM 800), the 900 simply got a bad rep due to what it was on its own for what it was. Negating that by saying all it needed was an EQ into the FX loop doesn't really change what the 900 is by itself or for it being judged alone by what it is.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  16. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

I mean a lot of Marshall’s (800s included) used by pros prior to the 900 were being modded or boosted with a pedal or whatever at the very least, no difference, or actually worse than just using an EQ. The whole point of the 900 was to have a hot rodded Marshall without questionable quality mods. I mean even a lot of “Marshall” tones that people aim for, say Slash for example, aren’t really true Marshall tones, they’re modded. Using the JCM800, you either need to be playing stadiums to get the goods from a 2203, or have a boost and / or attenuator, which is no different IMO from an EQ.

17. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

This past weekend I worked with Keith Douglas from Tora Tora and I had four amps for him to pick from.
    I brought all 3 version of the JCM 900 and a JVM 410H, Keith has a JVM 410H. The amp that he Picked was................................................... JCM 900 DR................ The last person who used the 900 DR was Craig Goldy.
    I got the amp as part of a backline for Craig last summer. Last Saturday I was reminded how awasome the 900 sounds.

I bought the thing from guitar center and have never looked to see if it has been moded in any way. tonight I will open it up to check. For now all I can say is it ROCKED.

Mitchell Pearrow, Crikey and Cadorman like this.
  18. ssolo8

ssolo8 Member

An mxr 6 band EQ is the secret weapon!!! I have those things littered all around my life!

Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.
  19. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

The 4100 DR freaking rocks. I used mine outdoors at a gig last weekend and it sounded fricking great. I only used a patch cable in the loop without the eq since I didn't need teh torque it provides. You can't beat these things. when I ran backline many people requested JCM 900 DRs. never had one die during a show either. I used to love sound checking them through the big pa

Mitchell Pearrow and Cadorman like this.
  20. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

I also have an 1985 JCM 800 4212 combo which is the same amp as the 2210. That amp kills it too. The JCM series rock. no doubts.

Cadorman likes this.